Grrrr! Banded tourney entrant...

Grrrr! Banded tourney entrant...

Tournaments

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SN
Pimp of the elves

San Diego, CA

Moves
10 Jan 05

Why do people who enter banded tourney's when they know they are much stronger than that rating range?

I would draw your attention to the Lamda banded 4X4 1500-1599. Seems that one player most likely will easily win that tourney since they are rated well above 1900.

I would like to personally thank that player for defeating the entire purpose of the tourney (competition among the same skill level) and removing the possibility of a 1500-1599 player from winning a tourney (the reason most of us entered it).

You are successfully proving that you can beat up on a bunch of players that are below your skill level. Congratulations!

Sorry, I just had to vent. Pissed me off knowing that I'm playing in a banded tourney that I realistically can't win no matter how much time I spend analyzing my moves....

The Rude©

who knows?

Moves
10 Jan 05

Same for the Rho 1500-1599 where Gyr entered,he was 1800+ in November,then got timeouted in many games and went 1500............
Sportmanship is something unknown in tournaments.

Kudos to Dustnrogers who withdrawn from some tournaments after that some people complained about him entering tournies rated far under his real skills.

s

Gloucestershire , UK

Moves
10 Jan 05

i've mentioned something about this in a previous thread (Want More Tournaments Now Please), like i said they are the ones that will not gain from the tournament.

SN
Pimp of the elves

San Diego, CA

Moves
10 Jan 05

Originally posted by soulby
i've mentioned something about this in a previous thread (Want More Tournaments Now Please), like i said they are the ones that will not gain from the tournament.
I agree with you. My old coach used to tell me that winning was a waste of time, because you only learn from losing.
I think the Grand tourneys are a great place to pick up this kind of expirience.
The rating restricted trouneys have a different goal and people enter them for a different reasons. Therefore, I think it is very unsportsman-like for poeple to enter them that have a much higher ability, but just happen to have a low rating when the tourney is starting.

G
Mr. Shield

Moves
10 Jan 05
1 edit

Got a rec for the first and 4th posts 🙂. Looks like I won't be able to enter the banded 1400-1599 tourney's anymore. Seems I've gotten a bit better and my rating isn't going down 😵. Oh well, have fun guys 🙂.

G
Whale watching

33°36'S 26°53'E

Moves
11 Jan 05

The 30 day high rating helped a bit on this score.

Maybe it is time to use a longer envelope, say the highest rating over the past 6 months and/or the highest rating over the past 300 games, which ever is highest. The idea being that your rating for tournament entry would then take far too long to fall sufficiently to allow your entry into lower rated banded tournaments.

In other words, if your goal is to enter and win lower rated tournys, you are going to have to wait a very long time and also resign hundreds of games in the interim.

It is sad that something like this is necessary. But, quite clearly, some players can't always be trusted to exercise integrity.

FNM

Moves
11 Jan 05

Originally posted by Ravello
Same for the Rho 1500-1599 where Gyr entered,he was 1800+ in November,then got timeouted in many games and went 1500............
Sportmanship is something unknown in tournaments.

Kudos to Dustnrogers who withdrawn from some tournaments after that some people complained about him entering tournies rated far under his real skills.
Actually... Take a look at the Pi Banded 1500 - 1599 Tournament. Dustin is in that one.
The sad thing is that I PM'd and asked him to withdraw but he blatantly ignored me.

I was looking forward to that Banded Tournament, but when I saw Dustin isn't going to do the honorable thing and withdraw, I chose not to enter.

The Rude©

who knows?

Moves
11 Jan 05

Originally posted by Faith No More
Actually... Take a look at the Pi Banded 1500 - 1599 Tournament. Dustin is in that one.
The sad thing is that I PM'd and asked him to withdraw but he blatantly ignored me.

I was looking forward to that Banded Tournament, but when I saw Dustin isn't going to do the honorable thing and withdraw, I chose not to enter.
Yes,you're right,even if I insisted until he withdrawn from the 1100 banded (YES,he entered that tourny two weeks ago!!)
I'll retire my kudos to him and wait to see him enter a 1800-1900 tournament,his real skill level.
I guess that by entering those tournaments he's only searching an ego-boost,since he knows his real skills but wants a bunch of easy wins to feel better with himself.
For the record the guy is rated 1780 now and soon will hit 1900 again.

G
Mr. Shield

Moves
11 Jan 05

Originally posted by Gatecrasher
The 30 day high rating helped a bit on this score.

Maybe it is time to use a longer envelope, say the highest rating over the past 6 months and/or the highest rating over the past 300 games, which ever is highest. The idea being that your rating for tournament entry would then take far too long to fall sufficiently to allow your entry into lower rate ...[text shortened]... s is necessary. But, quite clearly, some players can't always be trusted to exercise integrity.
I don't think this would work cause say a 1100 player wins a bunch of games that have been sitting around and his rating jumps to say 1300. He probably wouldn't want to enter any banded tourneys cause he would be playing people of a higher skill level. It's not fair cause of higher rated players going down (by timeout usually) and lower rated players have temporary rating jumps. I think that from now on if we know a player who couldn't play for a while and gets t/o'd we should try to have that person removed cause we know their most likely gonna win.
Josh

SN
Pimp of the elves

San Diego, CA

Moves
11 Jan 05

How about an average? Say, a 90 day average. May give a more accurate strength and be much less volitile.

G
Mr. Shield

Moves
11 Jan 05

Yeah, that might work. Current rating might work aswell we just gotta have a tourney mod or something like that to stop people from sandbagging.

FNM

Moves
11 Jan 05

Originally posted by Ravello
Yes,you're right,even if I insisted until he withdrawn from the 1100 banded (YES,he entered that tourny two weeks ago!!)
I'll retire my kudos to him and wait to see him enter a 1800-1900 tournament,his real skill level.
I guess that by entering those tournaments he's only searching an ego-boost,since he knows his real skills but wants a bunch of easy wi ...[text shortened]... eel better with himself.
For the record the guy is rated 1780 now and soon will hit 1900 again.
On the other hand, chance are that Dustin will leave the siteand get timed out in all his games sometime in the near future. So maybe I should've entered the tournament, dragged out my games with him, and wait for Dustin to leave as he always does and then take the timeout? 😵

D
Canada'sChamp

Calgary Alberta

Moves
12 Jan 05

first of all, the only reason i stayed was because, people like no1, said i was only a 1600 rated player at best. and many agreed, if you think that im a lower rated player half the time, then when i join a 1599 max tourney you guys are like whoooaoaa hes like 2000????

Anyways..
Dustin

D
Canada'sChamp

Calgary Alberta

Moves
12 Jan 05

But thinking about it, i guess it is a bit unfair, cuz i know my odds are good for winning it, even thought, Faithnomore has beat me before, same with Dragonfoz, has beaten me, and a few others in the tourney. And the reason why i ignored you was cuz i was upset that in 1 day, 4 people in total told me in lossing positions that they were not going to move against me until my rating got up, eventually it did, and they all resigned, but i was a little upset, because people say its not fair to play me, well if no one will play and lose to me, how do i get my rating up so that you wont lose any points when playing me!

MS

Under Cover

Moves
12 Jan 05

I pulled out of both of those tourneys for the same reason. I played 2 pretty good games against Dustin some time ago, and was holding my own until I made a simple blunder in each game. The ONLY reason I did as well as I did is because he had 10 million or so games going at once. He is much stronger than me, and way to strong to be in that field. Dustin, you're a great guy, but you really shouldn't be in those banded tourney's, and I suspect that you know that.