Continent tournaments

Continent tournaments

Tournaments

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
28 May 04

Today I closed and started all remaining continent tournaments.

I apologise if you are not happy with all the entrants in your tournament, but this idea was turning into an admin nightmare. I had hoped it could be self regulated, but this doesn’t appear to be the case.

In future, I will do per country tournaments, which can lock invalid entrants to avoid this happening again.

-Russ

N
Cannabist

's-Gravenhage

Moves
28 May 04

They idea about these continent tours is pretty neat though ... it should be self regulating ... but apperently its difficult for some players to NOT enter a tour for which they aren't eligable ... but a Countries tour ... I would like that too ...

G
Whale watching

33°36'S 26°53'E

Moves
28 May 04
1 edit

The continent and country ideas are great, Russ.

I don't suppose there is much that can be done about the existing invasions, since the games and tables have already been generated.

Initially, I wanted to boycott games against the offending players. But I've changed my mind.

It would be fair all around if everyone played the games out. With one proviso, you have to have been elligible to enter the tournament in order to win it.

So in the Africa tournament, for example, the tournament title should go to highest scoring African player, regardless of whether timtim from Texas wins or not.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
28 May 04

Originally posted by Gatecrasher
The continent and country ideas are great, Russ.

I don't suppose there is much that can be done about the existing invasions, since the games and tables have already been generated.

Initially, I wanted to boycott games against the offending players. But I've changed my mind.

It would be fair all around if everyone played the games out. Wit ...[text shortened]... go to highest scoring African player, regardless of whether timtim from Texas wins or not.

I had considered this - and now you have suggested it too, I am prepared to do it. (The winner can be changed after the tournament has finished without any real difficulty)

Please prompt me to make these changes when the tournaments finish.

-Russ

s

Moves
28 May 04

I'm with Gatecrasher on this one. Should he ( or I!!) or any other AFRICAN player by any chance finish second in the Africa tournament to TIMTIM - NOT FROM AFRICA - wthat person should be declared the winner.

Richie
xxx

t
Unnatural Leader

Sweeny, Texas

Moves
28 May 04

Yes, I'm with all of you also. I didn't care about winning the tourney, I just wanted more games because summer has started!!!!! HHHHAARRRAAAAAYYYYY. Sorry once again if I offended anyone that entered the African tourney. It was not my intentions at all.😀😀

s

Moves
29 May 04

You are growing on me Timtim 😀

O

An airport near you

Moves
04 Jun 04

I'm bumping this just to point out that the whole issue of illegible players in the continent tournaments has been resolved.

FNM

Moves
04 Jun 04

Originally posted by Osse
I'm bumping this just to point out that the whole issue of illegible players in the continent tournaments has been resolved.
how was it solved?

O

An airport near you

Moves
04 Jun 04

Originally posted by Russ
I had considered this - and now you have suggested it too, I am prepared to do it. (The winner can be changed after the tournament has finished without any real difficulty)

Please prompt me to make these changes when the tournaments finish.

-Russ
Looks resolved to me. So it doesn't really matter who enters, as long as the winner is from the appropriate continent.

FNM

Moves
04 Jun 04

Originally posted by Osse
Looks resolved to me. So it doesn't really matter who enters, as long as the winner is from the appropriate continent.
good, problem solved😀

s

Moves
04 Jun 04

Except if the result of the tournament is decided by games played against an ILLEGAL entrant.

Example :

Player 1 loses both games against Timtim
Player 2 wins both games against Timtim

Player 2 has an advantage of 6 points.

This is not fair. Ok, so he lost two more games, but not against a leggitimate opponent. All games against illegal and unfair and illegintimate entrants should not count.

O

An airport near you

Moves
04 Jun 04

Originally posted by saffa73
Except if the result of the tournament is decided by games played against an ILLEGAL entrant.

Example :

Player 1 loses both games against Timtim
Player 2 wins both games against Timtim

Player 2 has an advantage of 6 points.

This is not fair. Ok, so he lost two more games, but not against a leggitimate opponent. All games against illegal and unfair and illegintimate entrants should not count.

Not really a valid complaint. Most tournaments held for various county, state, and national championships allow people from other areas to enter. Winners of titles are the highest-scoring players who fulfil the residency requirements. Have a look at the Commonwealth Championships (which had 5 or 6 russians, and various other non-eligible players), or the various national championships that allow foreigners to play - Rafe Martyn is in this years British Championship, for example, and to the best of my knowledge he is Belgian.

As long as the playing field for everyone is level, there is no problem.

s

Moves
04 Jun 04

Yes, but the rules of those tourneys permit those players to participate.

The Continental tournaments on here DO NOT. plain and simple.

k

Melbourne

Moves
06 Jun 04

Not sure if it has been posted anywhere else, but can we expand the continent tournaments into an RHP World Cup? Surely that would be the ultimate tournament crown. We would probably only need to run it once every 4 years. Opinions?