Banded time controls

Banded time controls

Tournaments

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Rude©

who knows?

Moves
04 Jun 06

Can I ask why on earth Banded tournaments, which are the best, have so slow time controls like 7/14 ?

Why not 3/7 or 3/14 ?

I'd like to join one of them but the idea of completing the first round in 2007 is not that appealing.......

The last tournament I took part with 7/14 as time control lasted two years.

'nuff said

TSP
HIT THE LIGHTS

Moves
04 Jun 06

Agree ... Seems that all banded tournaments are 7/14 ... Could do with a couple of 3/7's as well

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
04 Jun 06

Originally posted by Ravello
Can I ask why on earth Banded tournaments, which are the best, have so slow time controls like 7/14 ?

Why not 3/7 or 3/14 ?

I'd like to join one of them but the idea of completing the first round in 2007 is not that appealing.......

The last tournament I took part with 7/14 as time control lasted two years.

'nuff said
Yes, again, why was the banded tounie setup changed?? It was fine with 3/7.

G
Mr. Shield

Moves
04 Jun 06

Completely agree.

If they're not changed within the next few sets of bandeds, I'll send in feedback about it.

Devout Agnostic.

DZ-015

Moves
05 Jun 06

Originally posted by GalaxyShield
Completely agree.

If they're not changed within the next few sets of bandeds, I'll send in feedback about it.
they should be 3/na, or 7/na.

timebanks are like giving someone two clocks.

t

my island

Moves
05 Jun 06

Originally posted by huckleberryhound
they should be 3/na, or 7/na.

timebanks are like giving someone two clocks.
we need timebanks - but you're all right 7/14 to too much, i entered the january banded tournament and there’s still 3 games being played, which are taking ages. the viking tournament with 3/14 was far better, its gives you enough timebank that if you can't move for a while you won't be timed out but with only 3 days to move most of the games go quite quickly. i think the viking one started in march and i wouldn't be surprised if the vikings final round started before the january banded tourney 😠

p
AbOvE AvErAgE

Nottelling

Moves
05 Jun 06

Meh, I reckon there should be some really speedy banded tournaments like 1/3 or something like that. Everything will be fine as long as there are more quicker banded tournaments

The Rude©

who knows?

Moves
13 Jun 06

Bump.

Tournaments with turtleish time controls are still to be filled, hmmmm, I wonder why.......

We can make a petition for more June banded tournaments with more speedy time controls or at least we can hope that the July ones won't have the same time controls.

This thing is getting annoying, I can't join tournaments because of the slow settings....

E

Swansea

Moves
13 Jun 06

You should set up a vote on the time controls for tournaments and the winning one take over from the current one.

t

Moves
14 Jun 06

If you're playing correspondence chess games, games could last for weeks maybe months: you guys know this. However it's impossible to always be available to make your move: to lose your game because the other guy timed you out is really annoying so timebanks are necessary. A 3 day period for making up your move is obviously ok (for it includes a possible weekend break) so I go with the opinion that 7/14 time controls are slowing the game too much and should be changed to 3/14 or something.

Moves
14 Jun 06

maybe, we need a time control that doesn't decrement at weekends ...

The Rude©

who knows?

Moves
27 Jun 06

Thanks Russ for starting a second group of June banded tournaments still with elephantiac time controls.

I have the vain hope that sometime I'll enter again a banded tournament with 3/7 or 3/14 (1/7 is asking too much) time controls.............

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
28 Jun 06

Originally posted by Ravello
Thanks Russ for starting a second group of June banded tournaments [b]still with elephantiac time controls.

I have the vain hope that sometime I'll enter again a banded tournament with 3/7 or 3/14 (1/7 is asking too much) time controls.............[/b]
Thanks Russ/Chris!!! Our prayers have been answered!!! 😀😀😀😀

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
28 Jun 06

Originally posted by trentreznor
If you're playing correspondence chess games, games could last for weeks maybe months: you guys know this. However it's impossible to always be available to make your move: to lose your game because the other guy timed you out is really annoying so timebanks are necessary. A 3 day period for making up your move is obviously ok (for it includes a possible ...[text shortened]... t 7/14 time controls are slowing the game too much and should be changed to 3/14 or something.
Agreed!! 7/14 is just ridiculous!

ns

Moves
28 Jun 06

I'm one of the people who can't get to the computer all the time. 3/7 will be too short for people who come on every week . 7/14 is too long though. Shame there isn't a way to have 7/3, to give a small timebank.