Standard memberRemoved
Tournaments 18 May '09 15:58
  1. Standard membersbacat
    Eddie's Dad
    Raving Mad
    Moves
    22 May '09 12:41
    Originally posted by Blackamp
    oh well, i've posted it in site ideas anyway - not that i have any great hope that it will get up.

i imagine that if enough people make it known to the site owners that it is a deal-breaking situation, they might do something about it.
    Yes, have to admit that this really is annoying. He's in my ratings band at the moment, so any banded tournie I enter he's there. Bad news is that even after he crashes and burns, the ratings system will keep his tournament rating at 100 under his max, so those of us in his general rating area will have to live with him doing this indefinitely.

I agree with TJ that something should be done. Maybe something like X number of moves in a given 24 hour period automatically takes down your vacation flag and you can't put it back up for 72 hours. That would allow normal/sane players keep moving in the few games they needed to but bar the kind of abuse Atri's doing.

I hate to see good, paying customers leaving this site over something this easy to fix. And hey, my anniversary is coming up next month...

Steve
  2. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    22 May '09 13:38
    He's above my rating range so I don't meet up with him and don't personally have a valid grievance. Those of you who are affected, if Site Ideas isn't working, try sending feedback individually. Russ has been known to react when he gets a lot of complaints about the same thing. I suspect Site Ideas will never get a real go because there are too many defendants of the vacation system, so try a different approach. Clogging up tournaments for example; should Russ have to create 1000 tournaments just to give everyone a fair go? and is that a real solution if he just enters all the number of tournaments? so the approach to Russ should be, maybe, can we have a limit to the number of tournaments you can enter once your gameload passes, say, 1000 games?
  3. Standard membersbacat
    Eddie's Dad
    Raving Mad
    Moves
    22 May '09 16:27
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    ...can we have a limit to the number of tournaments you can enter once your gameload passes, say, 1000 games?
    I like something like that, too, and that might be easier to implement than a mod to the vacation system. What's a reasonable number? Maximum 10 new tournaments a month any time your game total is greater than 1,000? I can't imagine reasonable players objecting to that as a cap. Thoughts?
  4. Standard memberO Artem O
    ParTizan
    Philadelphia, USA
    Moves
    22 May '09 21:03
    anyone have an idea who has the most games in progress?
  5. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    23 May '09 01:351 edit
    Originally posted by O Artem O
    anyone have an idea who has the most games in progress?
    The guy whose name appears on this thread - except that the OP was dyslexic. User 337724 currently 2128 games.
    There is another thread about him too, a couple of lines below this one.
  6. Joined
    24 Mar '08
    Moves
    23 May '09 09:42
    I have just had the bad luck to have been drawn in the first round of a tournament against this person. He is not moving, claiming he is on vacation. He clearly is not though, since he has made moves recently. How can this be allowed to persist? Either he is on vacation or he is not. Why do the administrators allow this obvious scammer to continue on the site? Can someone please explain?
  7. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    23 May '09 13:19
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    I've suggested even less than that and met stiff opposition from people who only play a dozen games at a time. That guy atri ruins this site for me. And if you propose anything to change the existing rules - the rules that allow a moron like that, then you are threat to someone's precious ability to randomly enter tournaments and randomly make moves wh ...[text shortened]... t the process all over again next year. The bright spot is that won't see his next plateau.
    Are you still here?

The site is run for thousands of people not just you. You say you are an adult but you are more like a dog with a bone on this perceived issue.

Simple facts

1. atri is a subscriber

2. Subscription allows you unlimited games

3. Playing lots of chess games does not necessarily make you a moron

4. You can play your moves as and when you want

5. Vacation days is an added subscriber option (I voted against this option but had to accept the majority view).
  8. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    23 May '09 13:24
    Originally posted by sbacat
    I like something like that, too, and that might be easier to implement than a mod to the vacation system. What's a reasonable number? Maximum 10 new tournaments a month any time your game total is greater than 1,000? I can't imagine reasonable players objecting to that as a cap. Thoughts?
    Surely all subscribers should be treated equally?

Why should one subscriber who may retired and have more free time be unable to enter more tournaments because they play a large volume of games?

People who want to do this should go to Gameknot where you pay larger subscription fees to allow you to play more games, enter more tournaments and even form clubs.
  9. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    23 May '09 13:37
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    He's above my rating range so I don't meet up with him and don't personally have a valid grievance. Those of you who are affected, if Site Ideas isn't working, try sending feedback individually. Russ has been known to react when he gets a lot of complaints about the same thing. I suspect Site Ideas will never get a real go because there are too many defend ...[text shortened]... limit to the number of tournaments you can enter once your gameload passes, say, 1000 games?
    How is he clogging up tournaments? Are all the other games in the tournament that do not involve him finished? If not, then he cannot be clogging up the tournament.

Say you enter an 3/7 tournament with 16 players, two groups of 8.

You make your move once every three days, your opponent then takes 1 days to make their move. It takes you or your opponent 23 moves to win the game so 23 moves at 3 days (you) and 22 moves at 1 per day) opponent) = 91 days.

or 23 moves at 1 days (opponent) and 22 moves at 3 per day (you) = 89 days

The other players in the tournament move much faster and all their games are finished after 35 days the only matches outstanding are your games

Would you consider yourself to be clogging up the tournament as it takes 54 or 56 days more for you to finish your games?
  10. Joined
    24 Mar '08
    Moves
    23 May '09 14:07
    I have read your replies to those complaining about arti, defending him.
    Your arguments all follow the same logic - he is not breaking any rules so let him continue. Exactly the same defence has been used by Members of Parliament in the UK who were caught extracting large unjustified sums in expenses.
    Who was it said "For evil to flourish it is only necessary for good men to do nothing"? Clearly arti is annoying a lot of people and yet the site administrators are sitting on their hands, afraid to act.
    Arti should be banned forthwith.
  11. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    23 May '09 14:21
    Originally posted by adramforall
    How is he clogging up tournaments? Are all the other games in the tournament that do not involve him finished? If not, then he cannot be clogging up the tournament.

Say you enter an 3/7 tournament with 16 players, two groups of 8.

You make your move once every three days, your opponent then takes 1 days to make their move. It takes you or you ...[text shortened]... lf to be clogging up the tournament as it takes 54 or 56 days more for you to finish your games?
    It is really simple so I'll spell it out for you so you can get it. HE IS NOT PLAYING A LOT OF GAMES! If he were playing, or showed any intention of playing many of these games we wouldn't be having this discussion. Many of them are on move 2 (and have been for weeks.) May be you have nothing better to do but book games with people who are here to ignore and mistreat you but I can get abused elsewhere at lower prices.
  12. Standard membersbacat
    Eddie's Dad
    Raving Mad
    Moves
    23 May '09 20:071 edit
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    ...but I can get abused elsewhere at lower prices.
    Abuse? At low prices? OK, are we still talking about chess or did you accidentally click on the wrong banner ad? 😉

Relax. You're winning this discussion even if it doesn't feel like it yet. Heck, you won me over and some say I'm thick as a stump. Of course they won't say it to my face.

Hang in there. Goodness and virtue do win every time. The universe is a rigged game although you won't get to see that until later.

It just takes the gears a while to turn sometimes. Patience is indicated.
  13. Standard memberFleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    Moves
    23 May '09 20:52
    Originally posted by GEOFFREY H
    Clearly arti is annoying a lot of people and yet the site administrators are sitting on their hands, afraid to act.
    Arti should be banned forthwith.
    You can't ban someone for 'annoying a lot of people'.
  14. Standard membersbacat
    Eddie's Dad
    Raving Mad
    Moves
    23 May '09 21:20
    Originally posted by Fleabitten
    You can't ban someone for 'annoying a lot of people'.
    Well, on one hand, people have been banned for what might appear to be less annoying. But on the other hand, Atri has fallen victim to a trap embedded in the system, and it's hard to fault him for succumbing to forces that draw on all of us.

OK, what in the world am I talking about now?

I feel good when I win a game. I feel good when my rating goes up. I feel especially good when I have a string of wins.

I feel bad when I lose a game. I feel bad when my rating goes down. I feel especially bad when I have a string of losses. Sometimes I feel horrible when that happens.

Depending on how invested I am in my skill at chess on my self-perception of intelligence, and how invested I am in my intelligence as my self-perception of my own worth, I can get really invested in how well I'm doing on RHP.

I think what we're presently seeing is somebody who is caught in a double bind. I want to win more games and the way to do that is to play more games. But I keep losing games, so in order to feel better, I must win more games and the way to do that is to play more games. There's no mechanism in RHP to mitigate that drive to add more games because RHP wants to promote as a limitless buffet of chess.

I've looked at other sites and said, oh, you mean I can only play 100 games? Well that's not enough. But how many is enough? It's a different number for each of us.

We've seen some in this conversation who have played 65 games in 4 years, saying don't change RHP because you'll hurt me. Others want to take two weeks off and come back as if they've never left and say don't change RHP because you'll hurt me.

The truth is we all use the games in different ways to help us get through the day. Sometimes we feel good about the games and sometimes we feel bad and sometimes it's just a way to pass the time before we have to go deal with the junk that fills up the rest of our lives.

My guess is that Atri's wrestling with issues bigger than any of the ripples that his actions are causing here. Would I like it to stop? Yes. Am I going to leave because of it? No.

When the skulling starts and be assured that it will, I'd much rather be in my own skin than in his. Or yours, for that matter. And so should you. Be grateful and be well. This too shall pass.

Steve
  15. Joined
    20 Jun '03
    Moves
    23 May '09 23:57
    Originally posted by sbacat
    Well, on one hand, people have been banned for what might appear to be less annoying. But on the other hand, Atri has fallen victim to a trap embedded in the system, and it's hard to fault him for succumbing to forces that draw on all of us.

OK, what in the world am I talking about now?

I feel good when I win a game. I feel good when my rating goes up. ...[text shortened]... atter. And so should you. Be grateful and be well. This too shall pass.

Steve
    As usual, a thoughtful contribution from sbacatand worth a rec.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree