2008 Championship

2008 Championship

Tournaments

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

L

Moves
09 Jan 08

Originally posted by Ponderable
Well in fact we would have the old sandbagging discussion again...

And there are a lot of people who like to play players several hundred rating points over their level.
What good does sandbagging do? Is there a prize to these tourneys? I mean someone could only sandbag once then their rating would jump back up. And in my experience, you could always 'play up' in OTB tourneys, thats something they could allow here too.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
09 Jan 08

Originally posted by Leaadas
What good does sandbagging do? Is there a prize to these tourneys? I mean someone could only sandbag once then their rating would jump back up. And in my experience, you could always 'play up' in OTB tourneys, thats something they could allow here too.
Well there are some people reaping tournament victories in a range they do not belong. They just "sleep" 100 days and are back down to enter a set of new tournaments. There are several threads on this.

S
Prof.

Blighty

Moves
10 Jan 08

Originally posted by Ponderable
Well there are some people reaping tournament victories in a range they do not belong. They just "sleep" 100 days and are back down to enter a set of new tournaments. There are several threads on this.
There may be people who do that, but surely that proves that they are actually incredibly sad and lonely people leading uninspiring and pointless existences - surely they should be pitied and helped! Tis after all (and I say this with massive respect to all) only chess and nothing to do with World peace! (only tic-tac-toe/noughts and crosses can overt a nuclear war!)

Hope all are enjoying the Championship 2008, those who are say 'yeah'!

YEAH!

b
Best Loser

Traxler is Sound!

Moves
10 Jan 08

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Canada

Moves
10 Jan 08

YEAH!!! Your always an optimist my friend...my group seems to be getting tougher the tourney drags on now...not good.

T
Mr T

I pity the fool!

Moves
10 Jan 08

Originally posted by surtism
There may be people who do that, but surely that proves that they are actually incredibly sad and lonely people leading uninspiring and pointless existences - surely they should be pitied and helped!

Hope all are enjoying the Championship 2008, those who are say 'yeah'!

YEAH!
Nobody who was willing to drop their ratings deliberately so they could beat people well under their own skill level would look at it that way. They would go round saying about how great they were and gloat about the tournaments they had won.

S
Prof.

Blighty

Moves
10 Jan 08

Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
Nobody who was willing to drop their ratings deliberately so they could beat people well under their own skill level would look at it that way. They would go round saying about how great they were and gloat about the tournaments they had won.
Perhaps - but they would be oh so very wrong!

d
happy

home

Moves
11 Jan 08
1 edit

Yes, that is right. And in this respect, the sandbagging at rhp is hardly to mention. Their real life narcisistic behavior is of more problem. But that is to be discussed elsewhere.

psychologist

edit: Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah and thumbs up

D

Moves
11 Jan 08

Any predictions on when we'll see the first "Group Decided"? I'm at 27/48 in group 100 thanks to multiple fast-moving opponents. But it'll be 2-3 months before the whole group is decided.

I'm going to stick out my neck and predict Feb. 1.

z

Moves
11 Jan 08

Originally posted by DawgHaus
Any predictions on when we'll see the first "Group Decided"? I'm at 27/48 in group 100 thanks to multiple fast-moving opponents. But it'll be 2-3 months before the whole group is decided.

Feb 1 is insanely fast for all 8 people but with that many people, it's possible. I expect no sooner than Feb 15. I've been moving quickly and most of my games are only at 12 moves (some are at 2 due to my opponent)

T
Mr T

I pity the fool!

Moves
12 Jan 08

I could probably finish my games by febuary 1 but I would not be that positive about them all being won if I moved that quickly.

z

Moves
12 Jan 08
1 edit

I could probably finish my games by febuary 1 but I would not be that positive about them all being won if I moved that quickly.
yes but would enough people in your group be finished or have lost enough games that the group would be decided?

On a positive note, I won my first game and the first game in my group (20) today!

c

Johannesburg

Moves
13 Jan 08

Originally posted by DawgHaus

I noticed group 65 is pretty much decided.
Only two players left in the race:
arnosof has 39/48
davefish has 4/46

Unless davefish drags things out, this group could be decided even earlier.

c

Johannesburg

Moves
21 Jan 08

I see group 65 is decided (there may be others?)

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
22 Jan 08

Just for the people who like the link (like myself)

Tournament 3116