2007 Championships

2007 Championships

Tournaments

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

c
Blogger

clausjensen.com

Moves
03 Jan 07

I'm in group 13. Does that mean bad luck? If yes, to whom?
These and other questions will be asked in the next 120 days.
Stay tuned...
And good luck to everyone participating in this year's main event on RHP/TFC/CAW/TIG

R
The Rams

Moves
03 Jan 07
1 edit

Good Luck to everyone, and thanks for all the advice and help. !

It gives 20 games, it appears, I am glad I stayed out this time. I'll be to that level next year, since the timebank is decent.

S
Playing badly

Underground

Moves
03 Jan 07

Originally posted by RookGrabber
This year looks more difficult.
You're not kidding. My group is a bit on the extremely tough side - Group 56.

Not that I was expecting to get through whatever group I was in of course - it will be a privilege to play the reigning champ though.

t

my island

Moves
03 Jan 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Snowman606
You're not kidding. My group is a bit on the extremely tough side - Group 56.

Not that I was expecting to get through whatever group I was in of course - it will be a privilege to play the reigning champ though.
group 1 🙄

it really should be original pairings

Sais

Berks.

Moves
03 Jan 07

Originally posted by trevor33
group 1 🙄

it really should be original pairings
Thankfully it isn't though - much more variation and potentially interesting groups this way.

c
Blogger

clausjensen.com

Moves
03 Jan 07

Originally posted by Peakite
Thankfully it isn't though - much more variation and potentially interesting groups this way.
Agreed. Random pairings makes it much more interesting for lower rated players to join this event. And at the end of the day, the experiences from the past 2 championships are that the final group is pretty strong in any case...

t

my island

Moves
03 Jan 07

better final groups though

t

my island

Moves
03 Jan 07

Originally posted by cludi
Agreed. Random pairings makes it much more interesting for lower rated players to join this event.
i disagree, just look at group 1. at least with original pairings the lower rated players (including myself) are guaranteed to get a couple of strong players in their group.

Moves
03 Jan 07

AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRGHHHHHHHHHHHH
Not kwgoodwin in my group, another shoeing then sob sob sob

Sais

Berks.

Moves
03 Jan 07

Originally posted by trevor33
i disagree, just look at group 1. at least with original pairings the lower rated players (including myself) are guaranteed to get a couple of strong players in their group.
As a player who has normally been of a similar rating to yourself (and indeed our one game was drawn*) I've always had problems with the original rating. It certainly wouldn't be as bad as a duel tournament where you're either just under or over the halfway point, resulting in a game which is all too frequently a pretty easy game or a virtually impossible one, followed by a 1,800 player in a second round.

It's good to play against the best, but I'd rather have a mixture of groups that randomness gives - sometimes meeting a couple of top players and having a difficult time and sometimes having a group where I have a realistic chance of challenging for the top spot.

*Although looking at that game now I'm puzzled as to why I agreed to it.

t

my island

Moves
03 Jan 07

As a player who has normally been of a similar rating to yourself (and indeed our one game was drawn*) I've always had problems with the original rating. It certainly wouldn't be as bad as a duel tournament where you're either just under or over the halfway point, resulting in a game which is all too frequently a pretty easy game or a virtually impossible on ...[text shortened]... the top spot.

*Although looking at that game now I'm puzzled as to why I agreed to it.
i think it was a siege match and you just needed a draw to play the next game, either that or you where scared i'd make a comeback 😉

i know what you mean about the duels but thats why i enter them, i knew if i don't get a 1900+ opponent in the first round i'll get an easy match and a good player in the next round. if the 2007 championship was original pairing i would be guaranteed 3 people better rated that me (of different skills) and 5 people below my rating. (if my maths was right, i was just above the half way mark) i think most people enter this tournament (the ones that know they have no chance of winning it) because they want to play people better than them, this way guarantees that. last year i played in it and rockgrabber (rated 1700) was the best player in my group (ok i was only 1200 then but still) and the next best player was 1500. at the time i was happy playing people better than me but if i got the same group this year, i'd be a bit annoyed at missing the top players.

w
Jo

Moving on...

Moves
03 Jan 07

how can i find my group on the tables without having to go through all 65 pages??

Moves
03 Jan 07

Originally posted by wucky3
how can i find my group on the tables without having to go through all 65 pages??
Ask your opponents in your group, maybe one of them has gone through them all!

I found myself on page 4, thank goodness.

Hoth

Moves
03 Jan 07

Originally posted by wucky3
Cross your fingers and hope you're somewhere in groups 1-64? 😛

Unfortunately it seems you have to dig through the whole list. Unless one of your fellow group members is kind enough to let you know...

G
Whale watching

33°36'S 26°53'E

Moves
03 Jan 07

Originally posted by Irax
Ask your opponents in your group, maybe one of them has gone through them all!

I found myself on page 4, thank goodness.
I was on 58. @#$!%^!!