why do americans find

why do americans find "soccer" boring?

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
13 Mar 12

Originally posted by whodey
I say it might be genetic. Americans are just born to hate soccer.
That's a good theory. Unfortunately it falls down on the fact that tabes dorsalis isn't genetic.

Richard

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
13 Mar 12

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Pakistan will be avenged!
Yeah when we get them back to the Oval and Trent bridge.

rc

Moves
13 Mar 12

Originally posted by kevcvs57
Yeah when we get them back to the Oval and Trent bridge.
Lords, Oval, Trent bridge, you name it, the sons of the soil will be avenged!

w

Moves
14 Mar 12

Originally posted by Shallow Blue
That's a good theory. Unfortunately it falls down on the fact that tabes dorsalis isn't genetic.

Richard
😠

Houston, Texas

Moves
15 Mar 12
1 edit

Originally posted by stellspalfie
i interested to know, what is it about soccer* american football fans hate so much? is it the low scorelines? what games have they watched to develop their opinions from? do american football fans generally like other team sports? is it just american sports they like? do they like rugby? i need to understand why the beautiful game is hated so much. i wa ther sports around at the time that goes by the name of football. which of coarse is football.
I am an American and very uninformed about soccer, but I find the offensive drives toward the goal in soccer exciting even without a score.

As an aside, the few months I lived in Italy on business, I noticed when riding the trains on a game day, some rowdy fans. I guess no worse than fans of American football.

Madison Square Garde

Moves
16 Mar 12

Originally posted by moon1969
I am an American and very uninformed about soccer, but I find the offensive drives toward the goal in soccer exciting even without a score.

As an aside, the few months I lived in Italy on business, I noticed when riding the trains on a game day, some rowdy fans. I guess no worse than fans of American football.
Enough is enough already. Simply put, soccer is popular around the world and has caught on in the States in the last 30 years or so. Girls and boys play in all kinds of leagues around the USA. Ask them if it's boring. Close this dumb ass thread already.

p

Moves
16 Mar 12

Originally posted by YEAH BOY
Enough is enough already. Simply put, soccer is popular around the world and has caught on in the States in the last 30 years or so. Girls and boys play in all kinds of leagues around the USA. Ask them if it's boring. Close this dumb ass thread already.
Well said and stop calling football "soccer" as well 😠😠😠

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
16 Mar 12

Originally posted by phil3000
Well said and stop calling football "soccer" as well 😠😠😠
You stop calling soccer football.

Moves
16 Mar 12

Originally posted by shortcircuit
You stop calling soccer football.
We've been there before. You get the right to the name "football" if you play a game where a ball is played predominantly with the feet. Your game is more like "hug-funny-shaped-bladder".

Richard

p

Moves
16 Mar 12

Originally posted by Shallow Blue
We've been there before. You get the right to the name "football" if you play a game where a ball is played predominantly with the feet. Your game is more like "hug-funny-shaped-bladder".

Richard
Hug funny shaped ball whilst wearing tights , padding and crash helmet .
Throw funny shaped ball and catch ,ah ,lets call it American football 🙄🙄🙄🙄

d

Moves
16 Mar 12
2 edits

Actually, the British invented the word "soccer" in the 1800s.

http://uponmyword.com/football-v-soccer-or-the-etymology-of-soccer

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=soccer

Also, some historians such as Australian Bill Murray claim that the word "football" is just a name for a variety of games in medieval Europe that was played on foot rather than horseback.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/0,1518,420024,00.html

http://www.amazon.com/Worlds-Game-HISTORY-Illinois-History/product-reviews/0252067185

Also, you also don't only use your feet in soccer. You can use any body part except the arms. The feet is most practical body part.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
16 Mar 12

Originally posted by phil3000
Hug funny shaped ball whilst wearing tights , padding and crash helmet .
Throw funny shaped ball and catch ,ah ,lets call it American football 🙄🙄🙄🙄
And...much more exciting and fun to watch than SOCCER!!!

F

Moves
16 Mar 12

in american football the skill level isn't there. In "soccer" you have players like messi and ronaldo who are amazing but in american football there are people who are good throwers and good catchers and good runners but there is no space for the individual all round skill like in soccer therefore they can have no global superstars like messi.

M

St. Paul, Minnesota

Moves
17 Mar 12
1 edit

Um, this is a discussion forum.

Anyway, I'm born an raised American. Further, I've been playing the sport for well over thirty years. My dad took me to an NASL game when I was 6 or 7. I was instantly in love. When I got home that night, I ran through the house pretending to kick an imaginary ball. Mind you, my dad never played soccer and was not really a fan. It was just something he and his friends chose to go do that night.

I started playing the following summer in a youth rec. league and have played ever since. I'm an avid fan and sometimes take a vacation day from work to watch some games live on television.

Ergo, your theory that is just a kids sport in the United States is bunk.

w

Moves
17 Mar 12

Does this mean Americans are picking up the sport or does it simply demonstrate the great influx of illlegal immigrants? 😕