What rule changes would you make to sport?

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Duckfinder General

223b Baker Street

Moves
22 Apr 13

Originally posted by FMF
Who wants T20 "gone"?

Here's my opening post again: "I am a lifelong fan of cricket but, having seen some of it, I cannot summon up any interest in the IPL. As for the T20 World Cup I believe I did read a match report on the final. I am aware of bums on seats considerations and income generation with T20 etc., but it's meaningless cricket to me. I hope it doesn't damage other formats of the game too much in cricketing terms."
You. That's your first post but it's not your only post. Even in that post you call it "meaningless". You don't like it period. You would rather drink bleach and pour acid in your own eyes than watch a game of T20. Even though I prefer the IPL, I don't think test cricket is meaningless. The "Broad" thing was obvious sarcasm. I would just like test cricket back on terrestrial TV. I get that T20 does not produce test players. But ultimately the players will go where the market is,

Duckfinder General

223b Baker Street

Moves
22 Apr 13

Originally posted by FMF
I haven't followed it closely but I was utterly appalled when test cricket was removed from terrestrial TV almost immediately upon England winning the Ashes in 2005, just as countless millions had been drawn into the game by the dramatic events on the field [hoping to make a few quid out of the surge in interest, presumably]. So I'm probably with you on the tele ...[text shortened]... he ECB" when I had nothing to do with their broadcasting contracts, then it won't wash. 🙂
Err.. yes.. I realise you do not represent the ECB. But Robbie said you drank Pimms.. so maybe you do.

F

Moves
22 Apr 13

Originally posted by thaughbaer
You. That's your first post but it's not your only post.
Well I have been writing pretty clearly and deliberately. If there is a post or posts in which you think I advocated that T20 be "gone" perhaps you would point them out.

F

Moves
22 Apr 13

I get that T20 does not produce test players. But ultimately the players will go where the market is,
This is what disappoints and worries me. It would perhaps numb the fears for the version of the game I prefer if I happened to like T20. Unfortunately I don't. 🙂

F

Moves
22 Apr 13
2 edits

Even in that post you call it "meaningless".
In sporting terms, for me, yes. But I also said "I am aware of bums on seats considerations and income generation with T20", so I am obviously not claiming that T20 is commercially "meaningless". I certainly did not say I wanted it gone. This has been an interesting discussion. I don't quite see the need for either of you to attribute words/opinions to me that I have not expressed. I reckon there has been enough clear disagreement between us already without us needing to exaggerate each other's position.🙂

rc

Moves
22 Apr 13
2 edits

No, I do understand. Stuart Broad did exactly what was needed of him in that situation in that match and for him and the other batsmen it was a considerable achievement. However, for the neutral, it probably wasn't exciting.

I can't speak for Robbie but the biggest single reason that I don't watch test cricket is the ECB sellout to Sky. I suspect the ...[text shortened]... ght of hypocrisy. They were quite happy to threaten test cricket when it lined their pockets.
Wow is this the real reason why No English players play in the IPL? Or is it that ironically, the Indians dont think they represent good value for money?

p

Moves
22 Apr 13

Originally posted by FMF
No, I wouldn't say so. But most people here that I am addressing are American. I used the word "soccer" deliberately.

The rule change i would make , i would make the Scottish national football team reverse their shirts so it looked as though they were attacking instead of defending .😵😵

Duckfinder General

223b Baker Street

Moves
22 Apr 13

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Wow is this the real reason why No English players play in the IPL? Or is it that ironically, the Indians dont think they represent good value for money?
I don't know who assigns the values of the international players at auction. You don't have to be a tin-foil hat wearer to know that the ECB have a little notebook.. rather like the guy on Arrow.. with the names of all the English players who have been to the IPL.

Duckfinder General

223b Baker Street

Moves
22 Apr 13
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
In sporting terms, for me, yes. But I also said "I am aware of bums on seats considerations and income generation with T20", so I am obviously not claiming that T20 is commercially "meaningless". I certainly did not say I wanted it gone. This has been an interesting discussion. I don't quite see the need for either of you to attribute words/opinions to me that I ...[text shortened]... disagreement between us already without us needing to exaggerate each other's position.🙂
You've spent too long in Debates. Enough already with the smoke and mirrors. If it's a misrepresentation of your position that you would prefer it if T20 did not exist you need to go back and do a lot of editing. Just because you did not use those exact words doesn't mean I can't understand the intended sentiment. That's the kind of argument I'd expect from my wife. You're not my wife are you ?

Duckfinder General

223b Baker Street

Moves
22 Apr 13

RCB for the tournament, gulp! We were robbed last year by Shahrukh Khans Kolkata knight riders, this time M S gonna take us to the title!
RR have put up a good score. CSK are going to have their work cut-out to chase this one down.

rc

Moves
22 Apr 13

RR have put up a good score. CSK are going to have their work cut-out to chase this one down.
Dwayne Bravo comes through for us, we are now numero uno!

F

Moves
22 Apr 13

If it's a misrepresentation of your position that you would prefer it if T20 did not exist you need to go back and do a lot of editing.
I need to go back and do a lot of editing where?

rc

Moves
22 Apr 13
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
FMF you missed a peach of a game, Rajastan Royals made 185 with Watson making a 101 I think and Chennai super Kings chased it down with a last over finish, Hussey Scoring 88 and Suresh Raina 50 something, what a match. Pure drama!

F

Moves
22 Apr 13

FMF you missed a peach of a game, Rajastan Royals made 185 with Watson making a 101 I think and Chennai super Kings chased it down with a last over finish, Hussey Scoring 88 and Suresh Raina 50 something, what a match. Pure drama!
It came down to the last over!? Gosh. 😲

Duckfinder General

223b Baker Street

Moves
22 Apr 13

Originally posted by FMF
It doesn't work with me.