Soccer vs Football US viewership

Soccer vs Football US viewership

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E

Moves
13 Nov 17

Originally posted by @radioactive69
Yes we boot our football all over the place. It's fun for a while until it turns into a squealing little girl. Still laughing at how long it took to have you in the cooler.

Oh Roma, I owe you that lottery ticket. You won easily. I had it down for weeks longer before he would be sin binned. You know your stuff alright. He cracked like a thin shelled egg. You the man !!!
Your part in the game has been reported. Roma seems to have dropped it. Hopefully you will too.

People should be able to use the forum free of your abusive games.

Fun, fun fun!!

On the beach

Moves
13 Nov 17

Originally posted by @eladar
Your part in the game has been reported. Roma seems to have dropped it. Hopefully you will too.

People should be able to use the forum free of your abusive games.
I seem to remember that it was you who was abusive, hence the cooler. We just threw in a bit of bait and you took it hook line and sinker.

You were only a small fish anyway. You were totally owned, sent to the cooler for us all to have a little laugh about, but no sport at all. Too easy.Throw in your line, hook a small dumbfish, wind it in dong it on the head, and throw it back.

No, we're looking for some gamefish my friend. Minnows are just too easy.

You take care now coach and have a very lovely day.

Moves
10 Dec 17

That was for the Super Bowl.

I was trying to demonstrate the difference between the popularities of the sports in the US.

In comparison to football no one cares about either soccer or rugby.

As for the name of football, the game used to be much more like rugby. It evolved over time. The nickname grid iron is also from the evolution of the game. At o ...[text shortened]... ning down the field. The drop kick is all but forgotten today. It stopped being used after WWII.
The dropkick is still in the rules. Jim McMahon with Chicago Bears used to practice it at every game. Never tried doing it tho.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
15 Dec 17

Soccer has popularity in the US, but it's never going to break into the top tier unless and until they figure out a way to increase scoring.

I like that game but I have a lot of trouble settling in for 2 hours of viewing when I pretty much know there are only going to be 2 or 3 goals, at most.

Moves
15 Dec 17

Originally posted by @sh76
Soccer has popularity in the US, but it's never going to break into the top tier unless and until they figure out a way to increase scoring.

I like that game but I have a lot of trouble settling in for 2 hours of viewing when I pretty much know there are only going to be 2 or 3 goals, at most.
I've always found this a rather superficial complaint. It'd not about the absolute size of the numbers on the board, but about how they got there. Otherwise, the only "sport" worth watching would be pinball.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
15 Dec 17
2 edits

Originally posted by @shallow-blue
I've always found this a rather superficial complaint. It'd not about the absolute size of the numbers on the board, but about how they got there. Otherwise, the only "sport" worth watching would be pinball.
That's a silly way to analyze something as arbitrary as sporting events. Sports popularity is about taste and enjoyment, not logic. Arguing that people shouldn't be bothered by the lack of scoring is meaningless. They are. People will watch what they want to, not what you explain to them is better for them. I am absolutely convinced that a major reason soccer's never taken off here is the dearth of scoring. Soccer gets plenty of exposure. IF you include secondary channels, there's more than enough of it on and the MLS has teams in most major cities in major stadiums at accessible prices. There has to be a reason it's never taken off and this is the one I'd bank on.

Anyway, to get to your point, I also think soccer has a problem with "how [the points] got there." While nobody can deny that the sport is elegant and graceful, there's a major problem in that the build-up towards a goal only lasts seconds. You could have an amazing run and as soon as the ball is shot wide, it's over and irrelevant. In baseball and football, there's a binary outcome on substantially every pitch and play. Either you've advanced towards scoring or consumed one of your limited opportunities to thus advance. In baseball, you have 27 outs. Either you get on base and thus take a concrete step towards scoring or you lose one of those 27 outs. In football, either you gain yardage or consume a down towards your having to punt or turning the ball over on downs, thereby blowing one of your few precious possessions. In basketball, there's so much scoring that this doesn't really matter much. In soccer (and hockey, of course), unless you factor in intangible concepts lie momentum and fatigue, the play is irrelevant unless the ball or puck goes in the net. This decreases that importance of each play, decreases the relevance of tangible statistics and, at least, IMO, decreases nuance and subtlety.

Americans like statistics in our sports. Why do we like baseball when the ball is in play for maybe 10 minutes in a 3 hour game? Because every event can be quantified and measured and recorded. It's a sports nerd's dream. No goal-oriented sport can ever hope to be able to generate the level of statistical analyses that can be generated in a rounders/baseball/cricket type sport. For this reason I'm sure we'd like cricket if not for the fact that we already have baseball.

E

Moves
15 Dec 17

Participation in sports is on the decline for the youth in the US.

Why should people who never cared about sports ever watch it?

I used to love watching baseball when I played it. Same for all other sports I played. Yet when I stopped playing I really didn't care for it much.
Sports viewership seems to be on a downward trajectory in the US as well.

Moves
05 Jan 18

Originally posted by @sh76
That's a silly way to analyze something as arbitrary as sporting events. Sports popularity is about taste and enjoyment, not logic. Arguing that people shouldn't be bothered by the lack of scoring is meaningless. They are. People will watch what they want to, not what you explain to them is better for them. I am absolutely convinced that a major reason soccer' ...[text shortened]... t. For this reason I'm sure we'd like cricket if not for the fact that we already have baseball.
Not sure I agree with your hypothesis, but if you are correct - What is so different about Americans. The majority of the globe enjoys soccer despite if being low scoring, so why not Americans?

old pueblo

Moves
12 Jan 18

How did I link you to them? I created the thread to counter their claims, not yours.

You questioned why the thread was created ans I explained why.

Of course there is a relatively small minority of people who like to watch soccer in the US. They are just few and far between.
That is changing as childhood changes and depends upon the region. When I was growing up, in the era when girls didn't play any sports at all, neither girls nor boys where I lived heard of soccer. I have a cousin who is like 25 years younger than I am. When I was told he was on a soccer team at school, I was floored. What's soccer and why does he want to play it? In the region I live in now, soccer is quite popular, especially since we are so close to the US/Mexico border. Both genders play sports, and both play soccer. They watch soccer on TV because they are able to play it at lunch recess, organized teams, and pick-up games. Those who have no access to playing the game are less likely to watch it because they don't understand the rules. When I went to a friend's women's league game, I was dismayed to notice that I understood Quidditch far better than I understand soccer. Get someone to come start curling leagues for children, or rugby, or cricket, or sumo wrestling, and those children and their families will start watching those things on TV.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
12 Jan 18

Squ Km, not population.
USA and Europe are almost equal in area ... about 10 million sq km.
About the same as Canada and China.
Very easy to remember.

Moves
13 Jan 18

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_Bowl_TV_ratings

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.awfulannouncing.com/soccer/no-quick-fix-mls-tv-ratings.html

Viewership numbers?

Top Soccer game 674 000

Top Football game 172 000 000
Wrong!

http://fortune.com/2017/02/06/super-bowl-111-million-viewers/

Highlander

Planet Earth

Moves
16 Jan 18

Every Real Madrid versus Barcelona football match has 400-500 million viewers every time.

E

Moves
18 Jan 18

Originally posted by @mctayto
Every Real Madrid versus Barcelona football match has 400-500 million viewers every time.
In the US?