Reds Over .500 Watch

Reds Over .500 Watch

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
10 Jun 09
2 edits

We won another game!!! Glad to see they could win even though they reached their 3 run per game scoring maximum. It would have been ugly if it had been tied up and they needed another run.

Cueto rocks!! I say he is their new Rijo.

w

Moves
12 Jun 09

Has anyone seen Joey Votto? Its like looking for Elvis I tell ya. The mystery continues, in fact, will he even show up to the All Star game if he is voted to go?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
12 Jun 09

Damn, a few runs would be nice. 9 in three games with the Nats? Pathetic.

w

Moves
13 Jun 09

Originally posted by no1marauder
Damn, a few runs would be nice. 9 in three games with the Nats? Pathetic.
I was listening to the home of the Reds WLW and they were attacking Crusty for playing the struggling and injury prone Travarus over playing Dickerson. They used on base percentage to come to this conclusion. Of course, I think that since they broght him to the team this year and are paying him all that money they will play him come hell or high water. I've seen it before on this team time and time again over the years.

BTW: Where has Gomes gone? They stuck him in a few games and he hit really well and then just vanished.

R
Acts 13:48

California

Moves
13 Jun 09
1 edit

Originally posted by whodey
We won another game!!! Glad to see they could win even though they reached their 3 run per game scoring maximum. It would have been ugly if it had been tied up and they needed another run.

Cueto rocks!! I say he is their new Rijo.
Next Tuesday though Thursday my Braves will sweep your reds. Are they called the Reds because they are Indians or something? Ilooked it up at Wikipedia and it comes from being called the Red Stockins.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
13 Jun 09

I was listening to the home of the Reds WLW and they were attacking Crusty for playing the struggling and injury prone Travarus over playing Dickerson. They used on base percentage to come to this conclusion. Of course, I think that since they broght him to the team this year and are paying him all that money they will play him come hell or high water. I'v ...[text shortened]... e has Gomes gone? They stuck him in a few games and he hit really well and then just vanished.
Tavares is in a really bad slump like most of the Reds. Dickerson is only 1 for 11 against lefties, so it doesn't look like Dusty believes he can handle them at all. Gomes is going to get some starts at DH this weekend; he had two hits including a HR last night. He's clearly inferior to the other OFs defensively.

w

Moves
14 Jun 09
2 edits

Originally posted by RBHILL
Next Tuesday though Thursday my Braves will sweep your reds. Are they called the Reds because they are Indians or something? Ilooked it up at Wikipedia and it comes from being called the Red Stockins.
Yes, in fact, they were indian Rusky commies who wore red stockings. Thats why they call them "Reds".

As far as the Braves beating my Reds, so long as the Braves are able to score 4 or more runs each game your prediction should be spot on.

w

Moves
14 Jun 09

Tavares is in a really bad slump like most of the Reds. Dickerson is only 1 for 11 against lefties, so it doesn't look like Dusty believes he can handle them at all. Gomes is going to get some starts at DH this weekend; he had two hits including a HR last night. He's clearly inferior to the other OFs defensively.
I suppose that makes some sense, however, when they face right handed pitching they should have Dickerson in there. In addition, can anyone tell me why Crusty is batting Hannigan 8th who happens to be the only one who can hit on this team? Is it because he hates this team or the city or perhaps he has a personal grudge against me and wishes to make my life a miserable as possible? If it is because he wants some speed at the top of the order, why then is Gonzo hitting second? In fact, why is Gonzo even in the line up Mr. Janish?

Ok, I feel better now. Thanks for listening.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
14 Jun 09

Handing for a dismal sweep at the hands of the sub-par Royals. No hitting, errors, etc. etc. etc. And we'll be back to .500.🙁

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
18 Jun 09

Couple of good wins over the Braves, though we managed only 4 hits yesterday (long balls by Bruce and Owings and a good job by the pitchers in a 4-3 win).

More good news: Joey Votto starts a minor league rehab assignment today. The hope is he might be back by the end of next week. http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090617&content_id=5375748&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

w

Moves
19 Jun 09
8 edits

Couple of good wins over the Braves, though we managed only 4 hits yesterday (long balls by Bruce and Owings and a good job by the pitchers in a 4-3 win).

More good news: Joey Votto starts a minor league rehab assignment today. The hope is he might be back by the end of next week. http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090617&content_id=5375748&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin
I say when Owings is not pitcing he needs to be at fist base. This is not a joke!! Owings at least has a .278 average at the plate and is good with the bat. Here is but a few reasons as to why:

Bruce .214
Taveras .219
Hernandez .240
Hairston .239
Gonzalez .214
Rosales .217
EE .127

Thats right, the Reds have 7 or more players batting .240 or worse!! I was looking at the roster for a few other clubs and I was hard pressed just to find one player batting as low as .240

What boggles my mind is that they are above .500. Just think what they would be doing with just an average hitting baseball team.

Edit: The Yanks once had the murderes row, perhaps the Reds could have the Murdered row.

BTW: The fact that Janish, Dickerson, and Gomes are not playing more is outrageous!! 😠

w

Moves
20 Jun 09
2 edits

Just to liven up this thread a bit, now about some Reds Trivia? I heard some during the last rain delay against the Braves. Here is goes:

Did you know that the Reds were not only the first professional baseball team in existence, they were also the first team to have a night game? It was during the 1930's and it caused quite a stir because MLB opposed the plan due to the fact that the Reds were abysmal. However, it happened anyway and attendance later boomed despite their horrible play. Night games then gradually spread all accross MLB.

Did you know that the Babe played his last game in Cincinnati? It was a Crosly field where the outfield used to slope upwards near the outfield fence. It was there that he injured himself trying to track down a fly ball and then later decided to call it quits.

Did you know that the Reds lay claim to the youngest player to have ever played on a ML roster? His name was Joe Nuxhall. He is effectionally referred to as the Old Lefthander and he used to broadcast games with Marty B for about 30 some years!! I think he was only 15 years old as he pithced his first MLG. Sadly, he died recently and there is both a statue and street named after him outside the stadium.

w

Moves
26 Jun 09
1 edit

Thank God Votto is back!!

Anyhew, I would like to offer Crusty a new batting line up to help the worst offensive club in MLB. I do this because I know hs visits this site often and takes what I have to say to heart consistantly.

1. Dickerson CF
2. Phillips 2B
3. Hanigan C
4. Votto 1B
5. Nix LF
6. Bruce RF
7. Harriston 3B
8. Janish SS

You then use Gomes as a DH and/or the batter of choice in run scoring oppurtunities as a PH later in the game.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
26 Jun 09

Thank God Votto is back!!

Anyhew, I would like to offer Crusty a new batting line up to help the worst offensive club in MLB. I do this because I know hs visits this site often and takes what I have to say to heart consistantly.

1. Dickerson CF
2. Phillips 2B
3. Hanigan C
4. Votto 1B
5. Nix LF
6. Bruce RF
7. Harriston 3B
8. Janish SS

You th ...[text shortened]... omes as a DH and/or the batter of choice in run scoring oppurtunities as a PH later in the game.
I don't totally agree with you. In order:

I'd still give Taveras full time against lefties and part time against righties. He's there fastest player, is an outstanding CF and steals bases. He had been in a miserable slump but he had a nice game last night with a 3 for 5 including a opening double and a perfectly executed squeeze bunt. I'd play Dickerson all the time against righties in either left or center. Gomes has to start somewhere - he's our hottest bat; at DH this weekend but after that I'd get him in LF (mostly) or RF (spelling Bruce ocasionally). Nix was given a shot and slumped badly; I think he's more of a part timer and PH. I'd still start Bruce in RF almost all the time; the kid's gonna be a star as he's a five skill player and he's not going to learn to be more selective sitting on the bench.

I can't justify starting Hairston all the time at 3B. He's a defensive liability and he hasn't been hitting. Last night, he failed to move Taveras to 3B in the 1st after the leadoff double and also failed to knock in a run from 3B in the 7th or 8th with 1 out. I'd play Rosales most of time even though he isn't hitting either; he's a much better at 3B and a hustle player. When EE comes back, I'd give him the job again as neither player has played well enough to claim it and he still has power.

I like Hanigan, but he doesn't have enough pop to bat third. I liked Dusty moving Phillips to 3rd in the order and batting Votto clean up last night. I'd split time at C with Hernandez and Hanigan.

I'd just start Janish at SS for a week or so and see if he hits. If he does, I'd give him the job. If not I'd give Hairston another shot and then put Gonzo back in when he comes back. Gonzo is an excellent fielder.

Tonight they're going against Jeremy Sowers, a very hittable lefty. My lineup would be:

1. Taveras CF
2. Dickerson LF
3. Phillips 2B
4. Votto 1B
5. Gomes DH
6. Bruce RF
7. Hanigan C
8. Janish SS
9. Rosales 3B

We'll see what Dusty does; we really need 2 out of 3 against faltering Cleveland.

w

Moves
26 Jun 09
1 edit

I don't totally agree with you. In order:

I'd still give Taveras full time against lefties and part time against righties. He's there fastest player, is an outstanding CF and steals bases. He had been in a miserable slump but he had a nice game last night with a 3 for 5 including a opening double and a perfectly executed squeeze bunt. I'd what Dusty does; we really need 2 out of 3 against faltering Cleveland.
What about Gonzo/Janish at third and SS?