Reds Over .500 Watch

Reds Over .500 Watch

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
07 May 09

Originally posted by whodey
And then I get another dose of reality with loss like tonight of 15-3. I guess Crusty's only question now is whether to start Paul Janish the SS or Arroyo for his next pitching start. After all, Janish only allowed 5 runs and Arroyo allowed about 10. LOL. As a side note, I called the home run hit by Fielder off Janish. I knew it was either going to be a ...[text shortened]... he year. If so, hopefully he has some more good outings so he iwill at least be worth wanting.
You can't win 'em all.

Arroyo's erratic but if he wins 15 again, that will be fine.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
08 May 09

Nice win last night with both Votto and Phillips (who's been hot lately) out with the flu. Another great night for the bullpen.

Showdown with the Cardinals at the Great American Ballpark this weekend. Hope Joey and Brandon recover quickly!

w

Moves
08 May 09

Originally posted by no1marauder
Nice win last night with both Votto and Phillips (who's been hot lately) out with the flu. Another great night for the bullpen.

Showdown with the Cardinals at the Great American Ballpark this weekend. Hope Joey and Brandon recover quickly!
Nice win? What about the errors that contributed to half their runs? I won't call it a nice win, just a win with the added benefit of having players in the line up with some pop such as Nix and Janish. I think it is looking more and more like Nix needs to be in the line up day to day, in fact, I think perhaps he deserves it over my once favorite Dickerson. All I know is that they need to find a way to keep Gonzo off the field and players like Harriston and Nix on the field.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
09 May 09

No Votto, no Phillips ............... NO PROBLEM! The Reds slap down the 1st place Cards 6-4 behind another fine performance by Cueto. David Weathers finally has a bad outing to make it interesting, but Cordero goes 9 for 9. Tony L what are you thinking having a guy try to steal down 2 in the 9th?🙄

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
10 May 09

The surging Reds belt the Cards, 8-3. Nice crowd, too; over 40,000. People are starting to notice that this team is better then expected.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
12 May 09
1 edit

"the worst hitting Reds team" whodey can recall has now scored 40 runs in their last 5 games going 4-1 in that stretch. And that has been against decent pitching; only Garland of the opponent's starters in those games had an ERA of over 4.00 and his was 4.03. Phillips has busted out of his early season funk, as has Hernandez and Hairston (who is giving us offense at SS replacing the ailing Gonzo). Votto missed some of those games, but has come back strong and now leads the NL in batting average. Bruce has hit 10 HRs tying him for 2nd in the league. Taveras has scored 24 runs and is hitting over .300 after a 5 hit game last night. Rosales tailed off for a bit after a torrid start, but has hit a HR the last two days and also had two doubles last night. Nix has been hitting hot for a while and has now replaced Dickerson (who is still struggling) in LF. Even Janish and Hanigan are hitting well spot starting.

The Reds send Owings (who has pitched well lately and had a dramatic game tying PH HR on Sunday though we lost in extra innings) to the hill tonight against the slumping D-Backs. 18-14 and only two back; so far, so good.

w

Moves
13 May 09

"the worst hitting Reds team" whodey can recall has now scored 40 runs in their last 5 games going 4-1 in that stretch. And that has been against decent pitching; only Garland of the opponent's starters in those games had an ERA of over 4.00 and his was 4.03. Phillips has busted out of his early season funk, as has Hernandez and Hairston (who is giving u ...[text shortened]... ) to the hill tonight against the slumping D-Backs. 18-14 and only two back; so far, so good.
All I can say is keep Gonzo off the field and continue as they are. If they are able, they should overtake the Cards soon. In fact, tonight they have the chance of sharing the lead in the division.

As for my pessimism, understand it gets pounded into the heads of fans when you don't have so much as a winning record in a decade or so. The only remedy is a winning season.

w

Moves
17 May 09
1 edit

Wow. The Reds sweep Arizona one week and the next week for all intensive purposes get swept themselves by San Diego. Well at least that is playing .500 ball eh Marauder? That's all you need to keep your prediction alive.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
19 May 09

This isn't good; Votto's mysterious dizziness is costing him at least one more start, Volquez is having back pain that will knock him out of the rotation for at least a turn and Masset, who was pitching well out of the bullpen, just went on the 15 day DL. And the defending champs are in town!

We'll still take 2 out of 3.

w

Moves
20 May 09

This isn't good; Votto's mysterious dizziness is costing him at least one more start, Volquez is having back pain that will knock him out of the rotation for at least a turn and Masset, who was pitching well out of the bullpen, just went on the 15 day DL. And the defending champs are in town!

We'll still take 2 out of 3.
2 out of 3???!!

If you say so. Can I get that in writing? 😛

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
20 May 09
1 edit

Originally posted by whodey
2 out of 3???!!

If you say so. Can I get that in writing? 😛
You shouldn't wait until after a game to attack other people's predictions.

I still think we should beat Moyer (who's been terrible so far) tonight. And why can't we win tomorrow?

w

Moves
20 May 09

You shouldn't wait until after a game to attack other people's predictions.

I still think we should beat Moyer (who's been terrible so far) tonight. And why can't we win tomorrow?
Anyone can attack a prediction after the fact. Wheres the fun in that? Don't get me wrong, I hope your right, but the way their playing now I think it is a rather bold prediction.

d

Moves
20 May 09

If you guys lose Votto, you're toast! His injury is very strange and I would be worried. We lost Hill most of last year to strange concussion syndromes.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
21 May 09

Originally posted by darvlay
If you guys lose Votto, you're toast! His injury is very strange and I would be worried. We lost Hill most of last year to strange concussion syndromes.
Votto's has been diagnosed with an inner ear infection. http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090521&content_id=4859262&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

He should be available soon, perhaps even this weekend.

My "2 out of 3" prediction isn't looking very good right now.

w

Moves
25 May 09

One word, "GOMES"!! Nice to see him in there instead of the struggling Bruce. He is the spark the team needed right now.