NBA Playoff Thread

NBA Playoff Thread

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

z
Mouth for war

Burlington, KY

Moves
29 May 08

The Celtics win it 106-102 and go up 3-2. Monster 4th quarter from Detroit. Anyone else notice how much Billups is hurting? 83% of the time the winner of game 5 has advanced when the series has been tied 2-2.

u
semper fi

Moves
29 May 08

Originally posted by JohnLennonForever
If your thinking one of those calls is the Brent Barry shot at the end of the game, that was not a foul. The reason it was a no call is because when Fisher jumped up, Barry didn't go into him like he should have. Instead he tried to go around and get a clear shot. Popovich and Duncan both said after the game that it was not a foul.
it should have been a blocking foul at least and i beleive they were in the bonus. that would have gave him 2 shots. it is hard to make that call but when a guy get MAULED like that then crawford should have blown the damn whistle.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
29 May 08

If your thinking one of those calls is the Brent Barry shot at the end of the game, that was not a foul. The reason it was a no call is because when Fisher jumped up, Barry didn't go into him like he should have. Instead he tried to go around and get a clear shot. Popovich and Duncan both said after the game that it was not a foul.
It's nice to be supportive of your team, but you shouldn't be so blatantly biased you ignore the evidence right before your eyes. Barry faked Fisher into the air and when Derek landed he hit Barry. That's a foul. Period. Barry wasn't in the act of shooting but the Spurs were in the bonus and would have gotten two shots to tie the game. The no-call was a terrible one and you'd be screaming at the top of your lungs if the players were reversed and Barry had hit Fisher AFTER being faked in the air.

The NBA admitted the no-call was wrong. http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8187624/Our-bad:-NBA-says-Barry-was-fouled-to-end-Game-4

Kudos to the Spur players (except Barry who knew better) for not making a big deal out of it, but the no-call was wrong.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
29 May 08

Originally posted by MoneyManMike
The refs never blow the whistle on the final possession, they don't want to decide who wins or loses the game. It would have been a foul at any other point in the game.
Bunk. The first time the Celtics played Detroit this year the game was tied at 85 and Billups faked Tony Allen in the air and jumped into him and the foul was called WITH 0.1 SECONDS LEFT! The Pistons won. If a defender goes into the air on a fake jumper and there is contact, the call is automatic in the NBA.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
29 May 08

Originally posted by zakkwylder
The Celtics win it 106-102 and go up 3-2. Monster 4th quarter from Detroit. Anyone else notice how much Billups is hurting? 83% of the time the winner of game 5 has advanced when the series has been tied 2-2.
The Celtics used the formula they've used to beat Detroit 5 out of 8 this year; huge games from the big men, a big rebounding edge and outscoring Detroit in the paint 39-19. And still barely won the game! 17 turnovers were a problem and the Celts perimeter defense wasn't as good as usual. The game turned into a rather high scoring affair rather then the defensive struggles that had been typical in the series. Ray Allen seems out of his slump and hit a huge shot after the Pistons had closed to 1 and Garnett made big free throws at the end. The Celtic strategy of immediately fouling rather that letting any Piston have any chance of launching a tying 3 in the last seconds was a good one.

1 more win and Boston's in the Finals for the first time since 1987. Hamilton is now questionable for Game 6 unfortunately; I hope he plays - I don't want to hear Detroit fan excuses all summer.

J

Moves
30 May 08

Originally posted by no1marauder
It's nice to be supportive of your team, but you shouldn't be so blatantly biased you ignore the evidence right before your eyes. Barry faked Fisher into the air and when Derek landed he hit Barry. That's a foul. Period. Barry wasn't in the act of shooting but the Spurs were in the bonus and would have gotten two shots to tie the game. The no-call was a ...[text shortened]... cept Barry who knew better) for not making a big deal out of it, but the no-call was wrong.
Yes I would have been upset if the players were reversed but I would still agree that it was a good no-call. Was it a foul, YES. Was it a good no-call, YES. The refs do not need to be the ones deciding the game and that's exactly what they would have done if they had given him the free throws and they won in overtime. Several of the Spurs players and Popovich himself said it was a GOOD no-call. But I do agree that it was a foul.

J

Moves
30 May 08

NBA FINALS HERE WE COME! WOOHOO GO LAKERS!

M

Moves
30 May 08

Lakers are first to the Finals. Four mo' wins to the title.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
30 May 08

Congrats to the Lakers; another game where the Spurs jumped to a huge early lead, but wilted under the Laker pressure and energy. The Spurs looked old in the second half.

I'm sure the Lakers will be favored in the Finals against either the Celts or the Pistons but they were favored in their last trip there also. We shall see.

J

Moves
30 May 08

Congrats to the Lakers; another game where the Spurs jumped to a huge early lead, but wilted under the Laker pressure and energy. The Spurs looked old in the second half.

I'm sure the Lakers will be favored in the Finals against either the Celts or the Pistons but they were favored in their last trip there also. We shall see.
🙂 Yeah true enough. To me, and this is not because I'm a Lakers fan, but to me the Lakers just look to be the best team in the league right now. They are playing the best ball and have only lost 3 playoff games which were all on the road to very good home teams.

z
Mouth for war

Burlington, KY

Moves
30 May 08

but they were favored in their last trip there also. We shall see.
Where they got beat up 4 games to 1 by Detroit if I recall correctly.

J

Moves
30 May 08

Where they got beat up 4 games to 1 by Detroit if I recall correctly.
Yeah your right! But the past is the past and let's see what happens in the future.

z
Mouth for war

Burlington, KY

Moves
30 May 08

Yeah your right! But the past is the past and let's see what happens in the future.
The Lakers haven't changed too much since then except get older. So here's to your future. .l..

J

Moves
31 May 08
3 edits

The Lakers haven't changed too much since then except get older. So here's to your future. .l..
Haven't changed alot? LOL What are you talking about they have one of the youngest teams in the league. Their only players who are older are Kobe, Fisher, and Odom. The difference between 04 and now is they did great drafting and got good players who have exceeded expectations in Farmar, Vujajic, Radmonovich, Walton.

If you want proof that they haven't changed alot, here it is. The first is 03-04 roster and the second is this year's roster. The only 2 players remaining on both rosters were Luke Walton and Kobe.

http://www.lakersuniverse.com/playoffs/roster2004.htm

http://www.nba.com/lakers/roster/index.html

M

Moves
31 May 08

To me, and this is not because I'm a Lakers fan, but to me the Lakers just look to be the best team in the league right now.
They have been playing really good defense, perhaps some of their best defense of this year, and then you have Kobe shooting 50% from the field, I don't remember last time he did that consistently for fifteen games. And now being battle tested in the playoffs against one of the Association's top defenses, I feel pretty good about the Lakers' chances in the Finals.