Liverpool

Liverpool

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
05 Feb 09

Originally posted by Angry Boy
Add the fact that he was given a fortune to spend in the transfer market (breaking various positional tranfer fee records) and well ....

You're right, apples and oranges. Ferguson had it much easier. Because in those days a team spending that amount of money and finishing 11th twice in 3 seasons would have sacked their manager.
Honesty and accuracy not your strong point, eh?

In
Jan Terry Gibson (F) Coventry City (swap deal)
Feb John Sivebaek (FB) Vejle Boldklub (£285,000)
Mar Derek Brazil (D) Rivermount Boys Club
Mar Peter Davenport (F) Nottingham Forest (£570,000)
Jul Deiniol Graham (F) Wales Schoolboys
Oct Liam O'Brien (M) Shamrock Rovers (£50,000)
Oct Paul Wratten (M) Middlesbrough Schoolboys

Out
Jan Alan Brazil (F) Coventry City (swap deal)
Aug Mark Hughes (F) Barcelona (£2.5 Million)
Sep Mark Dempsey (M) Sheffield United (£20,000)
Oct John Gidman (FB) Manchester City

Net Profit on transfers: £1,615,000

In
Jul Viv Anderson (FB) Arsenal (£250,000)
Jul Brian McClair (F) Glasgow Celtic (£850,000)
Dec Steve Bruce (D) Norwich City (£825,000)

Out
Jan Peter Barnes (F) Manchester City (£30,000)
Feb Mark Higgins (D) Bury (£10,000)
Aug Terry Gibson (F) Wimbledon (£200,000)
Aug John Sivebaek (FB) St Etienne (£220,000)
Aug Frank Stapleton (F) Ajax Amsterdam
Sep Gary Bailey (G) Contract cancelled

Net Profit on transfers: -£1,440,000

Over his first 2 seasons, a total profit from transfer dealings of £175,000.

He took over a team in the relegation zone, and got them up to 11th. The next season he finished 2nd. All achieved while making money from transfers.

In 89-90 he broke his first transfer record (Gary Pallister £2.3m) and promptly won the FA Cup. After breaking his Manchester United trophy duck, he won at least one trophy for the next 5 seasons.

I'd like to see Rafa show any kind of profit from transfer deals. But, like Rafa, you should never let reality get in the way when you want to run your mouth.

D

Moves
05 Feb 09

Originally posted by Ragnorak

In
Oct Paul Wratt ...[text shortened]... , like Rafa, you should never let reality get in the way when you want to run your mouth.

D
that post was beautiful.

AB

Moves
05 Feb 09
1 edit

In
Oct Paul Wratt , like Rafa, you should never let reality get in the way when you want to run your mouth.

D
Why are you listing just his first 2 seasons? Is it because after that the stats don't fit with your argument?

Yes, exactly.

Oh, and I don't want to rub it in but if we're talking about accuracy ...

Fergie was appointed manager in November 1986, so listing all transfer dealings before then (you'll find that the Mark Hughes one in particular punches a stupendously large hole in your argument) as you have is incorrect.

Do your research.

Moves
05 Feb 09

Why are you listing just his first 2 seasons? Is it because after that the stats don't fit with your argument?

Yes, exactly.
"In 89-90 he broke his first transfer record (Gary Pallister £2.3m) and promptly won the FA Cup. After breaking his Manchester United trophy duck, he won at least one trophy for the next 5 seasons."

remind us all what liverpool won last year?

AB

Moves
05 Feb 09

Originally posted by trev33
"In 89-90 he broke his first transfer record (Gary Pallister £2.3m) and promptly won the FA Cup. After breaking his Manchester United trophy duck, [b]he won at least one trophy for the next 5 seasons."

remind us all what liverpool won last year?[/b]
Did Fergie win the European Cup in his first year? Second? Third?

13th or something wasn't it?

AB

Moves
05 Feb 09

that post was beautiful.
... and yet, horribly inaccurate.

Moves
05 Feb 09

Did Fergie win the European Cup in his first year? Second? Third?

13th or something wasn't it?
i'm sorry when was the last time liverpool won the league?

every liverpool fan i know has the league as their most wanted trophy.

rafa and fergie won the champions league, a million million miles away from the european cup. liverpool wouldn't even have been in the european cup if the top 3 best teams in england were allowed in never mind just the winners. plus a 5th place league finish the year milan collapsed isn't that impressive is it?

but i'm not getting into that again. he did well winning the CL but that's all he's done, nothing in the transfer market, nothing in the league and a poor interview technique.

Moves
05 Feb 09

... and yet, horribly inaccurate.
really?

read it again

and then one more time because you're obviously a bit thick.

now, tell me what is inaccurate about rags post?

quote something and tell me how it's wrong.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
05 Feb 09

Yes, exactly.

Oh, and I don't want to rub it in but if we're talking about accuracy ...

Fergie was appointed manager in November 1986, so listing all transfer dealings before then (you'll find that the Mark Hughes one in particular punches a stupendously large hole in your argument) as you have is incorrect.

Do your research.
You explicitly referred to Ferguson's first three seasons in the post I replied to...
Boy said
"Add the fact that he was given a fortune to spend in the transfer market (breaking various positional tranfer fee records) and well ....

Ferguson had it much easier. Because in those days a team spending that amount of money and finishing 11th twice in 3 seasons would have sacked their manager."

I actually ran out of time this morning, and also felt that stats and extensive research would have been wasted on you, given your inclination to rely on football supporters bias when debating, but anyway, here's the third season where "Ferguson broke all manners of transfer spending records"
In
Jul Viv Anderson (FB) Arsenal (£250,000)
Jul Brian McClair (F) Glasgow Celtic (£850,000)
Dec Steve Bruce (D) Norwich City (£825,000)

Out
Jan Peter Barnes (F) Manchester City (£30,000)
Feb Mark Higgins (D) Bury (£10,000)
Aug Terry Gibson (F) Wimbledon (£200,000)
Aug John Sivebaek (FB) St Etienne (£220,000)
Aug Frank Stapleton (F) Ajax Amsterdam
Sep Gary Bailey (G) Contract cancelled
Net Profit: -£1465000

S over his first 3 seasons, the clubs net spend on transfers was about £1.3 million pounds. No sign of anything even remotely resembling your absurd claims which I quoted earlier.

The data was provided to prove your statements wrong. Despite a minor error, your data is proven no less wrong. In fact, my point regarding the state of the team is strengthened... Not only were the team in the relegation zone in November, but they were also selling their top players before Fergie arrived.

BTW: I couldn't find any such transfer data for Liverpool. I guess the Poo fans just aren't passionate enough about their club to go to the effort or recording history. If you have a link, I'd love to see how much Liverpoo's slide into mediocrity cost.

D

sc

where angels play

Moves
06 Feb 09

I guess the Poo fans just aren't passionate enough about their club to go to the effort or recording history.

Lol, you've not been to old trafford recently have you? Passionate support it isn't.

c
¯\_(^.^)_/¯

Moves
06 Feb 09

Originally posted by sally cinnamon
Lol, you've not been to old trafford recently have you? Passionate support it isn't.
This is a problem indicative of the way the EPL is going. As the prices go up the likes of you and I can't afford to go.

Don't worry though mate, I'm back home in a matter of days and we can watch Liverpools demise together in the pub. You can be sure I won't be quiet. 😛

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
06 Feb 09

Originally posted by sally cinnamon
Only the Britannia stadium rivals Old Trafford for atmosphere these days.

The most passionate I've seen scouser's recently was when they booed your team to the top of the league.

D

B9
Fleeting Member

Lisburn, UK

Moves
06 Feb 09

Only the Britannia stadium rivals Old Trafford for atmosphere these days.
D
You really believe that? That's ludicrous. Man United's away support IS very good, but at home...it is a different story. Success of a team in inversely proportional to the passion of the masses. (Remember comments on the 'prawn sandwich' brigade, or what Ferguson said this time last year?

When United hit a poor steak, or maintain a 0-0/0-1 for a while, that 'atmosphere' evaporates like a wet fart.

Liverpool are loud on European nights, and when StevieMe takes yet another hypocritical dive in the box - otherwise are far inferior to Goodison for atmosphere. (Hey, better than Old Trafford...the success/passion ratio is a very apt one)

West Brom had a good crowd last time I went, Fratton Park and White Hart Lane are quality too.

Old Trafford beats only The Riverside and The Emirates according to popular opinion...haven't been to enough stadia to confirm though

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/premiership/sam-wallace-the-sound-of-silence-13371154.html

AB

Moves
06 Feb 09

really?

read it again

and then one more time because you're obviously a bit thick.

now, tell me what is inaccurate about rags post?

quote something and tell me how it's wrong.
Rag - "despite a minor error"

No Trev, you're obviously a bit thick.

ROa
Always a Red

LA

Moves
06 Feb 09

Originally posted by Bobson 94
You really believe that? That's ludicrous. Man United's away support IS very good, but at home...it is a different story. Success of a team in inversely proportional to the passion of the masses. (Remember comments on the 'prawn sandwich' brigade, or what Ferguson said this time last year?

When United hit a poor steak, or maintain a 0-0/0-1 for ...[text shortened]... elegraph.co.uk/sport/football/premiership/sam-wallace-the-sound-of-silence-13371154.html
k
I have to disagree with you.
I went to just about every Manchester United home game (league and cup) from 1997 to 2004.

I'll admit Liverpool have a better atmosphere on European Cup games than United but United do most games have a great atmosphere on European games.

In league games the away fans always generate the most noise over the course of the game, I found Villa fans to be the most vocal.

Manchester United playing at home though do generate a good atmosphere most games.

I use to talk to away fans in the bar after the game and just about every fan I talked to said that United fans "surprised them" and generated more noise than most home teams.

Bobson 94 are you speaking from experience?

United went though bad times (by our standards) in the Veron, Forlan, Ddjemba days but we NEVER boo'd the players off the pitch, NEVER.

Keane's prawn sandwich comment was BS.
He was just making excuses for a drop in standards on the pitch.

I remember one game (about 2002), we got beat by Bolton at home and the United fans cheered and clapped the United players off the pitch.
We showed the players we stand by them win lose or draw.