ICC Cricket World Cup

ICC Cricket World Cup

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BM

Moves
28 Mar 07

I see Australia have been at it again in today's game, amassing 330+ runs against the West Indies. On'y rain can save the Windies now, I would think - not out of the question considering the game is already going into the reserve day. It's starting to seem like your bowlers have done a good job if you manage to restrict Australia to 280-290...

t

Moves
28 Mar 07

Originally posted by B Money
I see Australia have been at it again in today's game, amassing 330+ runs against the West Indies. On'y rain can save the Windies now, I would think - not out of the question considering the game is already going into the reserve day. It's starting to seem like your bowlers have done a good job if you manage to restrict Australia to 280-290...
They have some great batsmen all right - the Kiwis showed recently that big scores are eminently gettable, though ...

C

Moves
28 Mar 07

I give the Windies a fighting chance still in this game. Sure the Aussies have great batsmen but their bowlers leave a lot to be desired.

All they need is a big innings from someone like Chris Gayle or Brian Lara and they'll get there.

And just for the record, I think Sri Lanka will win the tournament.

KS

Palmerston North

Moves
28 Mar 07

Originally posted by Crita
I give the Windies a fighting chance still in this game. Sure the Aussies have great batsmen but their bowlers leave a lot to be desired.

All they need is a big innings from someone like Chris Gayle or Brian Lara and they'll get there.

It is tough to say that Sri Lanka will win. Australia still have a team, and Tait is doing quite well.

Sri Lanka, now in past history of the games played, when Jayasuria gets a low score; the team has then lost. They are too dependent on Sanath. Yeah, I know that sometimes they can pull out a victory, but if Jayasuria doesn't perform good in the knock-out stages then it spells trouble.

Also, Sri Lanka don't have the team that won them the world cup in 95/96, incased in the top-middle order were fine batsmen, and the best Sri Lanka has produced, such as, De Silva(Best Batsmen ever produced by Sri Lanka), Ranatunga(Excellent captain), Gurusinha(Showed how he could hit Warne), Mahanama, and many more back then.

I just have a feeling that they do not have the same side as back then. Bowling side of things is perfect; batting is average.

TD
Enjoying Life

Tirau NZ

Moves
28 Mar 07
1 edit

Sri Lanka getting a lesson from SA this morning who are cruising to victory
Aus smashed WI

BM

Moves
29 Mar 07

Originally posted by Tirau Dan
Sri Lanka getting a lesson from SA this morning who are cruising to victory
Aus smashed WI
In the end South Africa only just made it in this game... They were crusing at 200 odd for 5, and then lost 4 wickets in 4 balls to Malinga! Unbelievable! I still think South Africa has got that reputation as chokers... As I predicted, West Indies got a pasting from Australia, despite Brian Lara getting 77.

Talking about Sri Lanka and that great team that one the World Cup last time, one thing the current team is far superior in is fielding, and running between the wickets! I mean, Ranatunga, Gurusinha, De Silva, they were all great batsmen, but none of them were th fittest of guys!

TD
Enjoying Life

Tirau NZ

Moves
29 Mar 07

In the end South Africa only just made it in this game... They were crusing at 200 odd for 5, and then lost 4 wickets in 4 balls to Malinga! Unbelievable! I still think South Africa has got that reputation as chokers... As I predicted, West Indies got a pasting from Australia, despite Brian Lara getting 77.

Talking about Sri Lanka and that great team that ...[text shortened]... nga, Gurusinha, De Silva, they were all great batsmen, but none of them were th fittest of guys!
The best thing about Sri Lanka was rolling those names off the tongue.. I loved listening to Dear Old Henry Blofeld commenting on the 25 years ago.. some are still in the team today amazing.

TD
Enjoying Life

Tirau NZ

Moves
29 Mar 07

Just saw Malinga the slinga on tv news.. I've never seen a more sloped action... does his arm get to as high as his shoulder.. its a side arm delivery surely.

E
Cognitive Junta

Moves
29 Mar 07

Our bowlers are doing just fine.

Only 1 F in Uckfield

Buxted UK

Moves
29 Mar 07

SA won yesterday by fielding better Sri Lanka. If Jayawardne had caught Smithy it may have been different.

Murali, Vaas and Malinga look to be good bowlers on these wickets. But basically the Super 8 wickets are good battings tracks.

Should be a good game today.

BM

Moves
29 Mar 07

New Zealand won again today against the West Indies - YAY! This now leaves us and Australia as the only unbeaten teams at this point in the competition. I have to say that, barring Ireland and *possibly* Bangladesh, West Indies has looked like the weakest team in the Super Eights to me. I reckon it will be a miracle if they make it to the semifinals, home ground advantage notwithstanding.

KS

Palmerston North

Moves
30 Mar 07
1 edit

Talking about Sri Lanka and that great team that ...[text shortened]... nga, Gurusinha, De Silva, they were all great batsmen, but none of them were th fittest of guys!
Yeah, couple heavy weights in that team back then. LOL.

Malinga could have gotten a 5 wicket bag. :X

TD
Enjoying Life

Tirau NZ

Moves
30 Mar 07

New Zealand won again today against the West Indies - YAY! This now leaves us and Australia as the only unbeaten teams at this point in the competition. I have to say that, barring Ireland and *possibly* Bangladesh, West Indies has looked like the weakest team in the Super Eights to me. I reckon it will be a miracle if they make it to the semifinals, home ground advantage notwithstanding.
Wooooo Hoooo.. by 7 wickets.
Just watched highlights at the pub..
Very tidy result.
West Indies
C Gayle b Oram 44
S Chanderpaul c Styris b Bond 4
R Sarwan c McCullum b Oram 19
M Samuels c McCullum b Oram 9
B Lara c McCullum b Styris 37
D Bravo c McCullum b Bond 18
D Ramdin c Oram b Vettori 15
L Simmonds not out 14
D Smith b Vettori 8
D Powell lbw b Vettori 0
C Collymore b Bond 0
Extras (1b, 5lb, 3w) 9

Total (all out, 44.4 overs) 177

Fall: 14 (Chanderpaul), 66 (Sarwan), 78 (Samuels), 81 (Gayle), 128 (Bravo), 150 (Lara), 156 (Ramdin), 176 (Smith), 176 (Powell), 177 (Collymore)
Bowling: M Mason 6-2-14-0 (1w), S Bond 8.4-0-31-3 (2w), J Franklin 3-0-29-0, J Oram 8-2-23-3, S Styris 10-1-35-1, D Vettori 9-1-39-3.

New Zealand
P Fulton b Powell 0
S Fleming run out (Lara) 45
H Marshall c Lara b Powell 15
S Styris not out 80
C McMillan not out 33
Extras (1lb, 3w, 2nb) 6

Total: (for 3 wkts, 39.2 overs) 179

Fall: 0 (Fulton), 36 (Marshall), 77 (Fleming)
Bowling: D Powell 10-2-39-2 (2nb, 1w), D Smith 5-0-24-0 (1w), C Collymore 9-0-43-0, D Bravo 8-0-32-0, C Gayle 6.2-0-35-0 (1w), R Sarwan 1-0-5-0.

Result: New Zealand won by seven wickets

Brendan McCullum pulled off one of the best catches behind the stumps seen in many years.. and could easily have been given man of the match but the honour went to Player of the Match: Scott Styris 1-35 80no

Check out the reuters photo McCullums catch of the year
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/4/story.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10431634

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
30 Mar 07

Originally posted by invigorate
SA won yesterday by fielding better Sri Lanka. If Jayawardne had caught Smithy it may have been different.

Murali, Vaas and Malinga look to be good bowlers on these wickets. But basically the Super 8 wickets are good battings tracks.

Should be a good game today.
You mean Kallis... That game was much closer than it should've been.
AGAIN Shaun Pollock almost buggered up our chances!

Sri Lanka were lucky to have gotten that close. They don't have a chance this WC if they're going to only rely on Jayasuria getting a 100 off 40 balls and Murali getting 10 wickets. You need more than 2 players to actually PLAY cricket if you want to win some games.

Major Bone

On yer tail ...

Moves
31 Mar 07

Originally posted by Crowley
You mean Kallis... That game was much closer than it should've been.
AGAIN Shaun Pollock almost buggered up our chances!

Sri Lanka were lucky to have gotten that close. They don't have a chance this WC if they're going to only rely on Jayasuria getting a 100 off 40 balls and Murali getting 10 wickets. You need more than 2 players to actually PLAY cricket if you want to win some games.
It might be time now to look at who's likely to make the last four:

Aus - Definitely. But what happens when Hayden doesn't make runs? Bowling is not great and leaks lots of runs.

NZ - Just looking a good, strong unit unit with no real weaknesses.

Thereafter, no team stands out (and I speak as a SA supporter). Sri Lanka, England, West Indies and SA are the contenders while the no-hopers are Bangladesh and Ireland.

The West Indies' batting line-up hasn't fired and been downright brittle, while their bowling lacks depth and penetration, so I would rule them out. Sri Lanka - you can't count them out yet, so they're in with a chance. England? I think not - they sure made hard work in disposing of Ireland.

SA started confidently against Aus and the little things turned the match - a dropped catch (Gibbs again!), a brilliant runout and cramps. That's cricket and sometimes I wish it weren't a funny old game. But they looked tentative against Sri Lanka and nearly lost it. Pollock I thought would be one of the standout bowlers but he's got no movement off the pitch and been pasted.

SO, my prediction is that Aus and NZ will head the final group with SR and SA following up. Either NZ or Aus will definitely be in the final - perhaps both.

Howzat?