1. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    30 Oct '19 16:494 edits
    @earl-of-trumps said
    Noooooooooooooo, Rusty! Say it ain't so. Not a les habitat fan!?

can't ever be! you're too nice a guy
    I've never said. I've kept it to myself over the years, I've mentioned lots of favourite players though. Strange he quit when the expansion came and they had to fly. He had a fear of flying, was ok in nets with no mask in those days and guys taking slap shots that were probably close to 100 miles per hour even back then.

What is wrong with the habs other than the fact they haven't won a cup in over a quarter of a century? They have 24 Stanley cups over the years, although haven't won one since 1992 - 1993 season I believe it was, which I believe was also the last time they had Partrick Roy in nets. I remember back in the 6 team league where they pretty much dominated! 😉 I was very young but remember Gump Worsley in nets back in that era!!!

How the league has changed since then the equiptment, training, conditioning......not even the same game anymore but I still love watching it. I played it in high school. I even played out doors on ponds, we didn't have internet back then and only 2 t.v. stations and one was in french and one was in English.

Can you name the 6 original NHL teams without going to google or one of the other search sites? If so, can you also name which team you liked the best at that time of the 6?

-VR
  2. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    30 Oct '19 21:492 edits
    @very-rusty said
    I've never said. I've kept it to myself over the years, I've mentioned lots of favourite players though.

What is wrong with the habs other than the fact they haven't won a cup in over a quarter of a century? They have 24 Stanley cups over the years, although haven't won one since 1992 - 1993 season I believe it was, which I believe was also the last time they had Part ...[text shortened]... r search sites? If so, can you also name which team you liked the best at that time of the 6?

-VR
    I had to do some cutting and pasting so the storey about Gump Worsley would make more sense.

I was very young but remember Gump Worsley era
    Strange he quit when the expansion came and they had to fly. He had a fear of flying, was ok in nets with no mask in those days and guys taking slap shots that were probably close to 100 miles per hour even back then.
  3. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    31 Oct '19 02:11
    @very-rusty said
    I've never said. I've kept it to myself over the years, I've mentioned lots of favourite players though. Strange he quit when the expansion came and they had to fly. He had a fear of flying, was ok in nets with no mask in those days and guys taking slap shots that were probably close to 100 miles per hour even back then.

What is wrong with the habs other than the fact ...[text shortened]... r search sites? If so, can you also name which team you liked the best at that time of the 6?

-VR
    Of course I remember. I think I'm a little older than you.

New York Rangers (Ed Giacomin Jean Ratelle, Brad Park, Walt Tkaczuk)
    Montreal Canadiens (Gumper, Dryden, Beliveau, Richard (both), Mahovlich)
    Toronto Maple Leafs ( Bower, Ullman, Stemkowski, Bathgate, Keon)
    Detroit Redwings ( Sawchuk, Howe, Mahovlich, Del Vechio)
    Chicago Blackhawks (Esposito, Hull (both), Mikita, Nesterenko)
    And of course, my Boston Bruins (Cheevers, Bucyk, Orr, Smith, Sanderson, Hodge)

Yes, of course it has been a while for the habs, they stopped letting the habs take the top amatuer selection every year. LOL. ouch.
  4. Standard memberAnderssen
    Legally stoned...
    Moves
    01 Nov '19 01:04
    I'm right down the street from where the Leafs will be having the Stanley Cup Parade...I'm going to get so drunk I crap in my pants. 💩
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    01 Nov '19 12:33
    @earl-of-trumps said

Chicago Blackhawks (Esposito, Hull (both ...[text shortened]... le for the habs, they stopped letting the habs take the top amatuer selection every year. LOL. ouch.
    Well done.....I don't think many could do that and name people who played on those teams....Gumper and Dryden of course played in different areas but both did play for the Canadians.....Who was on more cup winning teams the Gumpber or Dryden, a trivia question for you? 😉

I do believe your Bruins have something to prove after last year and being the favourites to win the cup last season. I know no one who picked St.Louis to win the cup.....Of course everyone kind of starts pulling for them at the end because they are the underdogs and have 19 Canadians on the team 15 who played in the final game which won them the cup. It would have been nice to see Brad bring the cup home, he lives in Hammonds Plains which is part of Halifax now.

-VR
  6. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    01 Nov '19 13:03
    @earl-of-trumps said

Chicago Blackhawks (Esposito, Hull (both ...[text shortened]... le for the habs, they stopped letting the habs take the top amatuer selection every year. LOL. ouch.
    Ugh , Ken Dryden . The dental student who came up when Vachon was injured and made all us kids in Boston cry. I just can't ever forget that.
    What ? No mention of Phil Esposito ??
  7. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    01 Nov '19 13:25
    @anderssen said
    I'm right down the street from where the Leafs will be having the Stanley Cup Parade...I'm going to get so drunk I crap in my pants. 💩
    Leafs have a darn good team, and thank you for blowing out Tampa and make a finals for the Bruins possible.

Toronto and Boston both have darn good hockey and basketball teams now.
  8. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    01 Nov '19 13:33
    @very-rusty said
    Well done.....I don't think many could do that and name people who played on those teams....Gumper and Dryden of course played in different areas but both did play for the Canadians.....Who was on more cup winning teams the Gumpber or Dryden, a trivia question for you? 😉

I do believe your Bruins have something to prove after last year and being the favourites to win t ...[text shortened]... ice to see Brad bring the cup home, he lives in Hammonds Plains which is part of Halifax now.

-VR
    Well, let's face it, Rusty, the Bruins were that favorite in the finals, yes, but it was Tampa's cup to win and leafs upset them 4-0. Amazing. But I am ever hopeful.

Your trivia question, I really don't know but Dryden didn't play a full career because of some salary dispute or something. So I have to go with the Gumper. Real funny guy. Rusty, am I right that he coached the original Atlanta Flames that folded and became the Calgary Flames? I know it was an ex Canadien, pretty sure it was the Gump.

Speaking of funny goaltenders, Jerry Cheevers had a good joke, I'll posit it for you to ponder, "Who was the first Chinese NHL hockey player?"
  9. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    01 Nov '19 13:482 edits
    @caissad4 said
    Ugh , Ken Dryden . The dental student who came up when Vachon was injured and made all us kids in Boston cry. I just can't ever forget that.
    What ? No mention of Phil Esposito ??
    Dental student? I thought he went to McGill to study law, no? I know he became a lawyer. Great friggin' goaltender. He was so unusual with his height and gangly arms. Best NHL goalie I ever saw cutting down angles. He was a master at it. And actually, might be the best NHL goalie I ever saw, period. And I know there have been many greats since Dryden but he was really special. Yes, he made us all cry. I was so sure the bruins would win game 7. Damn! So I had to root for blackhawks in the finals. Tony O made one of the biggest blunders I ever saw in their game 7. The Habs were changing on the fly and a Canadien blasted a shot down to an empty Chicago end from the red line so he could get off the ice. Tony never saw it went in and it turned out to be the winning goal. Unreal.

Ya, ya, Phil. I saw him in Madison square garden v rangers when he got a hat trick and it included his 76th goal of the year, a record. He blew Bobby Hull's record right out. Great player. couldn't move him from in front of the net with a bull dozer. Orr would get him the puck and that great wrist shot he had would bang it home. I don't recall ever seeing him take a slap shot. Great player.

Esposito, Hodge, and Cashman. Record setting line. All 50 goal scorers if I recall correctly. Tickets to Bruins games were so hard to get back then I wrote to Montreal forum for tickets to see the B's play there, right in enemy territory. You know what...? I fell in LOVE with Montreal. Truly great city.

Here's another one for the two of you. How many years was Bobby Orr captain of the Bruins?

I gots a million of them!

Here's another one for you and Rusty. Every Bruin on those great teams was Canadian. How many French players did those Bruins teams have?
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    04 Nov '19 15:52
    @earl-of-trumps said
    Well, let's face it, Rusty, the Bruins were that favorite in the finals, yes, but it was Tampa's cup to win and leafs upset them 4-0. Amazing. But I am ever hopeful.

Your trivia question, I really don't know but Dryden didn't play a full career because of some salary dispute or something. So I have to go with the Gumper. Real funny guy. Rusty, am I right that he coa ...[text shortened]... ers had a good joke, I'll posit it for you to ponder, "Who was the first Chinese NHL hockey player?"
    I would have thought the Gumper would have won the most Cups and been wrong too. I looked it up as you can see belong Worsley4 Dryden6. Of course Worsley played without a mask. Dryden with one of the original Masks but he had all stars on all the teams he played on. There is a very good argument who was better goalie the Gumper or Dryden....I do agree with Dryden as he was one of the tallest Goalies at the time, then everyone started getting tall goalies to try to cover more of the net.

Gump Worsley, 77, Hall of Famer Who Won Four Titles, Is Dead. Gump Worsley, the pudgy but agile Hall of Fame goaltender who spent a decade with the Rangers, played on four Stanley Cup championship teams with the Montreal Canadiens and was among the last goalies to play without a mask, died Saturday in Beloeil, Quebec.Jan 29, 2007
    Gump Worsley, 77, Hall of Famer Who Won Four Titles, Is ...
    https://www.nytimes.com › 2007/01/29 › sports › hockey › 29worsley

six
    Dryden retired for good at 31 in 1979, with six Cup titles on his resume, the Hall of Fame in his future (he was inducted in 1983) and a singular standing as perhaps the brightest and most thoughtful professional athlete in his sport, or anyone else's.
    Ken Dryden: 100 Greatest NHL Players - NHL.com
    https://www.nhl.com › news › ken-dryden-100-greatest-nhl-hockey-players

-VR
  11. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    04 Nov '19 16:03
    Here's another one for the two of you. How many years was Bobby Orr captain of the Bruins?

Here's another one for you and Rusty. Every Bruin on those great teams was Canadian. How many French players did those Bruins teams have?

Trick question?
    Boston Bruins: Bobby Orr
    Technically, Bobby Orr was never captain of the Boston Bruins. Johnny Bucyk was the captain for Orr's rookie season and his last three. Oddly enough, while Bucyk was putting up very good numbers in the years in between, the Bruins had no official captain.

I believe Bruins had many french players in the early years. Don't know the exact amount.

-VR
  12. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    06 Nov '19 01:01
    @very-rusty said
    I would have thought the Gumper would have won the most Cups and been wrong too. I looked it up as you can see belong Worsley4 Dryden6. Of course Worsley played without a mask. Dryden with one of the original Masks but he had all stars on all the teams he played on. There is a very good argument who was better goalie the Gumper or Dryden....I do agree with Dryden as he was ...[text shortened]... HL Players - NHL.com
    https://www.nhl.com › news › ken-dryden-100-greatest-nhl-hockey-players

-VR
    Holy cow. He played 7 full seasons and had 6 cups. Of course, the first cup he only played a handful of games when Rogie Vachon got hurt. Unreal.

you got me on that one. you ain't *that* Rusty
  13. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    06 Nov '19 01:07
    @very-rusty said

Trick question?
    Boston Bruins: Bobby Orr
    Technically, Bobby Orr was never captain of the Boston Bruins. Johnn ...[text shortened]...

I believe Bruins had many french players in the early years. Don't know the exact amount.

-VR
    Yes, Orr was never a Captain. Answer - zero.

Part deux: zero. Again.

The Bruins were big rivals with les habitants. So when the team was owned by Weston Adams, he took no Frenchmen. Unreal.

Think about it. Esposito, Hodge, Cashman, Bucyk, Stanfield, McKenzie, Westfall, Sanderson, Marcot, Orr, Awry, RSmith, Green, DSmith, Cheevers, Johnston.

But you get the point. Just say Non to Frenchies LOL
  14. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    06 Nov '19 09:501 edit
    @earl-of-trumps said
    Yes, Orr was never a Captain. Answer - zero.

Part deux: zero. Again.

The Bruins were big rivals with les habitants. So when the team was owned by Weston Adams, he took no Frenchmen. Unreal.

Think about it. Esposito, Hodge, Cashman, Bucyk, Stanfield, McKenzie, Westfall, Sanderson, Marcot, Orr, Awry, RSmith, Green, DSmith, Cheevers, Johnston.

But you get the point. Just say Non to Frenchies LOL
    List of Boston Bruins players - Wikipedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › List_of_Boston_Bruins_players
    This is a complete list of ice hockey players who have played for the Boston Bruins in the ...... 0, 0, 18, HOF 1997. Sauve, Maxime · France, C, 2011–2012, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, –, –, –, –, – ..... "Boston Bruins Team Historical Players". BostonBruins.com. ... This page was last edited on 12 October 2019, at 03:38 (UTC). Text is available ..

Famous French Hockey Players | List of Hockey Players from ...
    https://www.ranker.com › famous-hockey-players-from-france › reference
    These are some of the best French hockey players to ever ... ... Sauvé played in the National Hockey League for the Colorado Avalanche, Calgary Flames, Phoenix Coyotes and the Boston Bruins. ... Birthplace: Saint-Martin-d'Hères, France

Yes, I did a little digging to find out this info! 😉

-VR
  15. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    06 Nov '19 10:05
    Dryden was drafted fourteenth overall by the Boston Bruins in the 1964 NHL Amateur Draft. They had a chance to grab one the Hall of Famer goalies and let him slip through their hands???

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree