Greatest athlete of all time

Greatest athlete of all time

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
11 Nov 17

JMHO - Martina Navratilova! Her 9 Wimbledon singles titles and 59 major championships (the last one at age 50!!) sends her straight to the top. The enormity of Martina Navratilova’s career places her atop the list when tennis historians debate which player – male or female – is the best of all time. When one of her closest competitors Billie Jean King says that Navratilova is “the greatest singles, doubles, and mixed doubles player who ever lived,” it’s hard not to take those words at face value. It’s not that Navratilova doesn’t have competitors in King, Helen Wills, Margaret Court, Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, and Serena Williams, but statistically she’s off the charts.

No other athlete can claim such domination of their chosen sport over such long period.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martina_Navratilova_career_statistics

G

santa cruz, ca.

Moves
11 Nov 17

Caitlyn Jenner

Moves
11 Nov 17

99.94. That is all.

JO

Moves
12 Nov 17

If "domination of their chosen sport" is the criteria, I would nominate Bill Russell. He played 2 years in college and won the NCAA Championship both years, including a 58-game win streak. He then led the US to an undefeated Olympic Gold Medal. He then played 13 years for the Celtics and won 11 NBA Titles. (In one of the years he didn't win it, he broke his leg in the Final Series.) That's 14 major championships in 15 years.

Fun, fun fun!!

On the beach

Moves
13 Nov 17

Originally posted by @lemondrop
Caitlyn Jenner
Jockey Wilson. Now there's a sportsman.

Fun, fun fun!!

On the beach

Moves
13 Nov 17

Originally posted by @john-osmar
If "domination of their chosen sport" is the criteria, I would nominate Bill Russell. He played 2 years in college and won the NCAA Championship both years, including a 58-game win streak. He then led the US to an undefeated Olympic Gold Medal. He then played 13 years for the Celtics and won 11 NBA Titles. (In one of the years he didn't win it, he broke his leg in the Final Series.) That's 14 major championships in 15 years.
Who ?? Never heard of him. Obviously only big over there in the US.

E

Moves
13 Nov 17

Originally posted by @mchill
JMHO - Martina Navratilova! Her 9 Wimbledon singles titles and 59 major championships (the last one at age 50!!) sends her straight to the top. The enormity of Martina Navratilova’s career places her atop the list when tennis historians debate which player – male or female – is the best of all time. When one of her closest competitors Billie Jean King says t ...[text shortened]... over such long period.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martina_Navratilova_career_statistics
So if you dominate a second rate field you are the greatest athlete?

Jim Thorpe is often touted as the greatest athlete ever.

st johnstone

Moves
13 Nov 17

To find the greatest athletic of all time.
First we would have to decide what is the greatest sport of all time.
That will never happen .

NOTE it's Jim watt best ever.

Fun, fun fun!!

On the beach

Moves
13 Nov 17
1 edit

Originally posted by @eladar
So if you dominate a second rate field you are the greatest athlete?

Jim Thorpe is often touted as the greatest athlete ever.
Never heard of him either. We're talking the greatest athlete of all time. Not some obscure American athlete that nobody from outside of America has ever heard of.

Other than the obvious Don Bradman Heather McKay must also be up there. Here is a little information about Heather

"Heather McKay won 16 consecutive British Open squash championships between 1962 and 1977, acknowledged as squash’s most coveted title. In over 20 years of international competition Heather lost twice to Yvonne West in 1960, and Fran Marshall in 1962. But squash wasn’t her only claim to fame, representing Australia at hockey in 1967 and 1971, and winning the American and Canadian Racquetball championships consistently throughout the 1980s to be genuinely rated among the world’s greatest sportswomen".

Only lost 3 times in her life. Now that's a champion !!!

st johnstone

Moves
13 Nov 17

Originally posted by @radioactive69
Never heard of him either. We're talking the greatest athlete of all time. Not some obscure American athlete that nobody from outside of America has ever heard of.

Other than the obvious Don Bradman Heather McKay must also be up there. Here is a little information about Heather

"Heather McKay won 16 consecutive British Open squash championships ...[text shortened]... g the world’s greatest sportswomen".

Only lost 3 times in her life. Now that's a champion !!!
Jahingar khan went 555 games unbeaten in squash
That's just tournament games real figure over 800 if you count exhibition matches.
Longest winning streak by individual or team in history.

G

santa cruz, ca.

Moves
13 Nov 17

strong contenders would include Muhammad Ali and Micheal Phelps if domination is the measure

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
13 Nov 17

Originally posted by @roma45
Jahingar khan went 555 games unbeaten in squash
That's just tournament games real figure over 800 if you count exhibition matches.
Longest winning streak by individual or team in history.
I saw him play once against Del Harris. (A British player). He was pretty awesome. I think there was also a Jansher Khan, but it was many years ago.

G

santa cruz, ca.

Moves
13 Nov 17

multi sport athletes should also be given consideration
Bo Jackson comes to mind
he was the best multi sport athlete I ever saw
played both baseball and football at the all star level
injuries cut short his career

st johnstone

Moves
14 Nov 17

Originally posted by @lemondrop
multi sport athletes should also be given consideration
Bo Jackson comes to mind
he was the best multi sport athlete I ever saw
played both baseball and football at the all star level
injuries cut short his career
Baseball and football
AKA rounders and sissy boy rugby

Not real sports try again

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
16 Nov 17

On this subject,what is annoying is that some sports and thus athletes get more attention than others.
I forget the name (which also illustrates my point and the power of the media) but in the 2017 para olymics a girl won a boatload of medals for team GB, yet when it comes to BBC sports personality of the year the winner is Andy Murray.
I've nothing against the bloke personally but really?