Go Flyers!

Go Flyers!

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guitarist

@William Penn's gaze

Moves
10 Jun 10

Nice call Darv. Fluck the Flyers I'm going fishin' for Fluke. And forget about hockey for a while.
I can still cheer the Phillies on to a third world series showing. And our fans take another black eye for booing the presentation of the Stanley Cup to the Black Hawks. But it was our house, why couldn't they do that in the dressing room. Fans started chanting "Let's go Flyers" What a town!

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
10 Jun 10

Originally posted by gregsflat
Nice call Darv. Fluck the Flyers I'm going fishin' for Fluke. And forget about hockey for a while.
I can still cheer the Phillies on to a third world series showing. And our fans take another black eye for booing the presentation of the Stanley Cup to the Black Hawks. But it was our house, why couldn't they do that in the dressing room. Fans started chanting "Let's go Flyers" What a town!
You gotta love those PHilly Fans!!! 😉

s

Moves
11 Jun 10

Originally posted by gregsflat
It is traditional to present the cup, the toughest to win in all sports other than the soccer world cup, in the venue where it was won! It is not to disrespect the loser, but to honor the winner. Presenting it in the dressing room would diminish the great value of a great cup in a great sport! The crowd also booed the Conn Smythe trophy winner and during its presentation.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
11 Jun 10

Originally posted by scacchipazzo
It is traditional to present the cup, the toughest to win in all sports other than the soccer world cup, in the venue where it was won! It is not to disrespect the loser, but to honor the winner. Presenting it in the dressing room would diminish the great value of a great cup in a great sport! The crowd also booed the Conn Smythe trophy winner and during its presentation.
Soccer isn't my cup of tea...Since you are saying it is the hardest cup to win...Just how many games do they have to win? It looks like a pretty soft game to me, in comparison to hard hitting fast skating hockey.

Yes, Gotta love those Philly Fans! At least they are not hypocrites! 😉

s

Moves
11 Jun 10

Originally posted by Very Rusty
Soccer isn't my cup of tea...Since you are saying it is the hardest cup to win...Just how many games do they have to win? It looks like a pretty soft game to me, in comparison to hard hitting fast skating hockey.

Yes, Gotta love those Philly Fans! At least they are not hypocrites! 😉
I say soccer world cup is hardest because their tourney is the longest, starts with regional eliminations over two years before the finals and requires international travel. In those two years there are lots of personnel changes, injuries, political upheavals, coaching changes, political pressure to include/exclude players and so on. It may be a softer sport physically but only from the standpoint of roughness. It is extremely demanding physically and requires great toughness. Just because there is less blood on the field and they tend to keep their teeth does not mean they aren't athletically tough.

d

Moves
11 Jun 10

I say soccer world cup is hardest because their tourney is the longest, starts with regional eliminations over two years before the finals and requires international travel. In those two years there are lots of personnel changes, injuries, political upheavals, coaching changes, political pressure to include/exclude players and so on. It may be a softer ...[text shortened]... od on the field and they tend to keep their teeth does not mean they aren't athletically tough.
I agree 100%. Soccer may have its problems with diving and sportsmanship but it's still a physical game that requires tremendous skill and athleticism.

s

Moves
11 Jun 10

Originally posted by darvlay
I agree 100%. Soccer may have its problems with diving and sportsmanship but it's still a physical game that requires tremendous skill and athleticism.
My one beef against soccer is the outlandish number of draws. Perhaps if they made them have a power play like rule change then there would be less draws and even less silly fouls. Dives should result in a power play, for example!

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
11 Jun 10
2 edits

I say soccer world cup is hardest because their tourney is the longest, starts with regional eliminations over two years before the finals and requires international travel. In those two years there are lots of personnel changes, injuries, political upheavals, coaching changes, political pressure to include/exclude players and so on. It may be a softer ...[text shortened]... od on the field and they tend to keep their teeth does not mean they aren't athletically tough.
Perhaps I should see if I can sit through a soccer game without falling asleep.

I might change my mind about the game if I give it a chance. 😉

I will never believe it is as challenging as hockey though!

s

Moves
11 Jun 10

Originally posted by Very Rusty
Perhaps I should see if I can sit through a soccer game without falling asleep.

I might change my mind about the game if I give it a chance. 😉

I will never believe it is as challenging as hockey though!
WC started with an exciting, but drwan game! Snoozers! I hope this afternoon's France Vs. uruguay is better. SA had the winning goal in the boots of an inept puke who failed to score against a goalie who had given up on the play! Yikes! Hit the right goal post! SAd, but true!