Florida?

Florida?

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FL

over there

Moves
05 Dec 06

Originally posted by no1marauder
Do you actually have an argument, you retard? The people that count decided a rematch FOR THE NATIONAL TITLE was stupid. I agree. If the Big Ten wants rematches, let them play a conference title game on a neutral site. Otherwise, you idiots should STFU.
Michigan is the 2nd best team in the country, so therefore they should play OSU for the title.

w

Moves
05 Dec 06
3 edits

The Big Ten is crap. If Michigan played Florida's schedule they would have lost at least 3 games. They could barely handle Ball State!

EDIT: Penn State plays Tennessee in the Outback Bowl and Wisconsin plays Arkansas in the CapitalOne. I'll be shocked if either of the Big Ten teams don't get blown out.
There is only one way to prove you wrong. Play the games!!!!!!!! It is my contention that OSU and that team up north are indeed #1 and #2 but there is no way to prove this unless OSU plays Florida. We have already proven that OSU is better than that team up north, however, what about Florida? This is why the BCS works. We need to see the Big Ten take on other conferences to prove that the Big Ten rules!! OSU will blow out Florida and that team up north will blow out USC. It will be fun to watch.

So why not pair up the true #1 and #2 teams you ask instead of playing Florida? It is because it is my belief that EVERY game during the regular season is sudden death and it is in and of itself a play off. IF OSU and that team up north had not already played I may be singing a different tune, but they have and it has already been decided. Now all that has to happen now are for the fans of that team up north to deal!!!!!!!!!!

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
05 Dec 06
1 edit

Do you actually have an argument, you retard? The people that count decided a rematch FOR THE NATIONAL TITLE was stupid. I agree. If the Big Ten wants rematches, let them play a conference title game on a neutral site. Otherwise, you idiots should STFU.
You are, as always, extremely caustic.

And yes, I have a point. If we were going to have a play-off; wouldn't it make more sense to take the top 8 rated teams rather than some crazy new system invented by some guy on a chess site that won't satisfy anyone?

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
05 Dec 06

Originally posted by Falco Lombardi
Michigan is the 2nd best team in the country, so therefore they should play OSU for the title.
When it comes to a vote, Florida will get you every time.

~Al Gore (heard on Jim Rome today)

m

Moves
05 Dec 06

To me, the most unfair result of the whole Bowl system is that Michigan has to play its bowl game on the road. I would be far more happy if half of the time the bowl game was played in the Big House (they have had over 100,000 people at every game since 1975 so it is not like there isn't support) or let Ohio State play the national championship on a cold weather site like the Big ten plays.
Florida won most of its games by 7 points or less-- hardly dominant in a conference where even its good team have awful offenses.
Michigan beat everyone including Notre Dame on the road (far more impressive than anyone out of conference Florida played) except the number one team on the road. Florida lost to team far worse than that.
Odds makers who care only about money (and not selling tickets or making sure the south is represented in a game) think michigan would be a 6.5 point favorite on a neutral site.
Michigan is the better team. They lost only to the nation's best time. If USC did not lose they would still be ahead of Florida. Politics is what it is, but I am sick of warm weather teams getting home field advantage in bowl games and crying about past grievances.

FL

over there

Moves
05 Dec 06

Originally posted by Phlabibit
When it comes to a vote, Florida will get you every time.

~Al Gore (heard on Jim Rome today)
LOL good one!

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
05 Dec 06

Originally posted by Red Night
You are, as always, extremely caustic.

And yes, I have a point. If we were going to have a play-off; wouldn't it make more sense to take the top 8 rated teams rather than some crazy new system invented by some guy on a chess site that won't satisfy anyone?
No system would satisfy everyone esp. crybabies for this team or the other. I fail to see how it is illogical to pair the winners of the supposed six best conferences plus the two best other teams from around the country. You haven't yet given a reason why that is sooooooooooo "ridiculous".

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
05 Dec 06

Originally posted by myteamtrulystinks
To me, the most unfair result of the whole Bowl system is that Michigan has to play its bowl game on the road. I would be far more happy if half of the time the bowl game was played in the Big House (they have had over 100,000 people at every game since 1975 so it is not like there isn't support) or let Ohio State play the national championship o ...[text shortened]... arm weather teams getting home field advantage in bowl games and crying about past grievances.
Auburn, who Florida lost to in a very close game, is rated higher than Notre Dame. Don't you Michigan fans know anything about college football outside of the states that border Michigan? Maybe Michigan should have invented a bowl game at Ann Arbor a 100 or 75 years ago like the other major bowls did. I'm sure teams would have rushed to go to Michigan in January.

There's little evidence that Michigan is a better team than Florida. The Gators' schedule was brutal; playing 10 bowl eligible teams. It's a little bit harder to run up the score against Tennessee, Arkansas, etc. etc. than teams in the Mid American (though Michigan struggled to beat Ball State). Michigan's entire argument is they lost by "only" a wee bit to Ohio State. Big deal; they still lost.

Last year, the Big Ten went 3-4 in bowl games. They won't do any better this year and might do worse. The league certainly doesn't deserve two teams in the Championship Game while the rest of the teams twiddle their thumbs. Twice the BCS sent a team which lost its last game to the title game and both times that squad got routed. Some people DO learn.

FL

over there

Moves
05 Dec 06

Auburn, who Florida lost to in a very close game, is rated higher than Notre Dame. Don't you Michigan fans know anything about college football outside of the states that border Michigan? Maybe Michigan should have invented a bowl game at Ann Arbor a 100 or 75 years ago like the other major bowls did. I'm sure teams would have rushed to go to Michigan in ...[text shortened]... ast game to the title game and both times that squad got routed. Some people DO learn.
Michigan would crush Florida.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
05 Dec 06
1 edit

Sure they would. Like they're going to "crush" USC. What excuses will you be coming up with after the Rose Bowl?

EDIT: From your profile:

I don't like to play many rematches.

LMFAO!

m

Moves
05 Dec 06

Auburn, who Florida lost to in a very close game, is rated higher than Notre Dame. Don't you Michigan fans know anything about college football outside of the states that border Michigan? Maybe Michigan should have invented a bowl game at Ann Arbor a 100 or 75 years ago like the other major bowls did. I'm sure teams would have rushed to go to Michigan in ...[text shortened]... ast game to the title game and both times that squad got routed. Some people DO learn.
You are obnoxious and look at only the facts you like. Any playoff system would have Michigan in it so there is no need to address that point.

(1) Ball State was the closest win of the year. They were up by a lot and let Ball State back in. You did not mention that Michigan went into the (then #2 team in the nation and won by 26). Clearly Florida does not play anyone out of conference like Notre Dame. Then the next week Michigan beat Wisconsin who has zero other losses.
(2) Another Big 10 team went to Texas (also a #2 team in the nation and whalloped them). The top teams in the big 10 have NOTHING to appologize about. We know they are are good they beat good teams in other conferences. Florida beat who out of conference. Hmmm....
(3) If Wisconsin, Michigan and Ohio State each lost a game in conference you could talk about all the good teams that knock eachother off each week. But especially Michigan and Ohio State won all there games (until they played each other and obviously someone had to lose). You say that makes everyone else week. The better argument is it shows how good the top 3 big ten teams are.
(4) If you don't count Western Carolina (a typical out of conference florida game, Florida won 4 of its last 5 games by 7 or less points. Is that significant or margin of victory only counts when we talk Michigan - Ball State a game that was scheduled when the season added an extra game)
(5) (Since you loves this logic when advocating common games for Boise State) Michigan beat Vanderbuilt by a lot more than Florida.
(6) Michigan lost to the BEST team in the nation on the road by a field goal and beat everyone else. That puts you ahead of teams that have no out of conference games, win the majority by close scores and have lost to a worse team.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
06 Dec 06
1 edit

Originally posted by myteamtrulystinks
You are obnoxious and look at only the facts you like. Any playoff system would have Michigan in it so there is no need to address that point.

(1) Ball State was the closest win of the year. They were up by a lot and let Ball State back in. You did not mention that Michigan went into the (then #2 team in the nation and won by 26). Clearly F ave no out of conference games, win the majority by close scores and have lost to a worse team.
Who cares that Texas was rated #2 back in September based on last year? They didn't even make it into the Big 12 championship game. Notre Dame should never have been rated #2; I'm a ND fan and they're a decent team but for years they've been getting crushed in big games.

Face facts; the SEC is far better than the Big Ten. Tennessee finished with 3 SEC losses and plays Penn State, which finished #4 in the Big Ten, in the Outback. Do you think PSU is not going to get creamed? You'd be the only one outside of Pennsylvania. And we'll see how good Wisconsin is when they play Arkansas in the Capital One.

Michigan played the worst team in the SEC at home on the first weekend of the season. BFD. They struggled against a MAC team. And they lost when given the shot against the #1 team. Quit your blubbering; after the Rose Bowl no one will be talking about Michigan being the #2 team. USC might suffer letdowns, but they're a big game team which massacred Arkansas, dominated California and easily whipped Notre Dame. And Big Ten teams haven't done very well in the Rose Bowl for about the last 40 years. I wonder why?

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
06 Dec 06

I agree. So will Ohio.

P-

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
06 Dec 06

Originally posted by Phlabibit
I agree. So will Ohio.

P-
How many Florida games did you see this year?

l

Moves
06 Dec 06

There are many reasons why teams don't do well in bowl games.
A major one is they are played in warm weather sites like the Rose Bowl which makes it a home game for USC.
Computers mark Florida and Michigan as even. Betters think Michigan is better.
While I don't think Notre Dame is on the level of a top 3 team, if they beat Michigan instead of getting blown out, they would be a top 4 team maybe even in the championship game. Wisconsin even with their loss is the #5 team in the USA today poll. Even if you don't like the big 10, it is hard to argue that Michigan does not play a solid schedule and did not have a great year.