dont  let        beckham equal bobby moores eng...

dont let beckham equal bobby moores eng...

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ENGLAND

Moves
30 Jan 09
1 edit

Originally posted by trev33
if you don't like the way football is now don't watch it. the fact is that money talks in football, just like in any other business environment .

but tell me this, in the past 15 years or so who has been a better english right midfielder than beckham?
No one Trev, Beckham has been the best in that role in recent memory at least, and at his best is a great player, dead ball exponent and icon extraordinare. But that's not really the point here.

His current form looks excellent but is only a few weeks old, but it proves that he should have gone to a club (post madrid) which demanded real rigour from him. He chose the bucks and risked his place in the england squad and imo his credibility. I genuinely hope he proves the cynics (me included) wrong.

Moves
30 Jan 09

Originally posted by divegeester
No one Trev, Beckham has been the best in that role in recent memory at least, and at his best is a great player, dead ball exponent and icon extraordinare. But that's not really the point here.

His current form looks excellent but is only a few weeks old, but it proves that he should have gone to a club (post madrid) which demanded real rigour ...[text shortened]... and squad and imo his credibility. I genuinely hope he proves the cynics (me included) wrong.
fair enough. maybe he didn't get an offer that suited him when leaving madrid? saying that he did agree the deal with la the jan before he left but i don't blame the guy for going to the states. i might have done the same, maybe he went a year or 2 to early but being in america and talking with people he has done a lot for american soccer. he wasn't going to turn in into the new PL or la liga over night but attendances are up from before beckham arrived and you could say the general ability in the league has gone up in the league in the last few years. not saying that that is down to beckham but it hasn't hurt.

i said this before in this thread if his form is good enough to get into the squad he should be picked, which i think it is. how many players could play in america that long and been on holiday for 2 months before going to milan one of the biggest clubs in the world and get a starting place in his first game and play pretty good. i watched that roma game and if you keeps that up over the next couple of weeks there's no reason not to put him in the squad.

looking at england now you've got what, lennon, wright phillips and maybe walcott that could play on the right. none what you would consider world class players, why not give beckham another chance if he keeps his form up?

the number of caps he already has and what record he might or might not break shouldn't and won't be taken into account when deciding the next few england squads. anyway isn't it only a matter of time that someone beats moores record with the amount of matches england plays now. if beckham doesn't beat it rooney will, i don't know about you or others in this thread but i would rather have beckham as the record number of caps holder if i was english than rooney.

ENGLAND

Moves
30 Jan 09

i would rather have beckham as the record number of caps holder if i was english than rooney.
We agree on that much at least!

My ranting about Beckham stems from dissapointment I think. Hearing him go on about wanting to play for england, and then waving goodbye as he flew off to a BBQ at Tom Cruises' place. I really wanted to see him back in the PL. I guess if I'm honest the bucks must hard to turn down tho.

Moves
30 Jan 09

We agree on that much at least!

My ranting about Beckham stems from dissapointment I think. Hearing him go on about wanting to play for england, and then waving goodbye as he flew off to a BBQ at Tom Cruises' place. I really wanted to see him back in the PL. I guess if I'm honest the bucks must hard to turn down tho.
he would've been a marked man in the PL, i don't think he wanted to go back to getting kicked 10 times a game. once he left utd i could never see him back in the PL - who would he have went back to? he was booed by everyone expect utd fans when he came back from the 98 world cup. i wouldn't want to play for a club that had booed me.

i thought he would've went to italy after madrid but i think maybe victoria had a big say in the move to the sates.

ENGLAND

Moves
30 Jan 09
1 edit

i thought he would've went to italy after madrid but i think maybe victoria had a big say in the move to the sates.
Agree. But it's not too late.....i would like to see him do another come back, but I fear a soft back-out back to the US.

Edit: If does I may to start another rant...😛

Moves
31 Jan 09

Agree. But it's not too late.....i would like to see him do another come back, but I fear a soft back-out back to the US.

Edit: If does I may to start another rant...😛
i hope he stays in italy. i hear milan have made an offer for him so hopefully he'll stay there until the end of next season to try and get his world cup squad place and then maybe go back to the states.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
31 Jan 09

but it proves that he should have gone to a club (post madrid) which demanded real rigour from him. He chose the bucks and risked his place in the england squad and imo his credibility. I genuinely hope he proves the cynics (me included) wrong.
I don't think money was the motivation behind his move to LA.

I think he went there to try to make his wife happy, which is admirable enough in a man.

The huge figures being bandied about as his yearly wage are all of his sponsorship deals and endorsements AND his Galaxy wage. It's typical American hype. He was already earning about 20m per year already.

I agree with your general point though, that he should have gone somewhere a bit more football orientated.

D

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
31 Jan 09

I really wanted to see him back in the PL. I guess if I'm honest the bucks must hard to turn down tho.
He has stated that he could never play in another Premier League team after leaving United.

Things aren't always as simple as they seem.

D

p

Moves
31 Jan 09

fair enough. maybe he didn't get an offer that suited him when leaving madrid? saying that he did agree the deal with la the jan before he left but i don't blame the guy for going to the states. i might have done the same, maybe he went a year or 2 to early but being in america and talking with people he has done a lot for american soccer. he wasn't going to ...[text shortened]... rather have beckham as the record number of caps holder if i was english than rooney.
Iwould rather have rooney any day ,he is a class player !!!

Moves
01 Feb 09

but tell me this, in the past 15 years or so who has been a better english right midfielder than beckham?
beckham has talent, there is no argument there, and he may be the best right sided english player in the last 15yrs, but that says more about english football than it does about beckham.
being the "best" in each position is no way to pick a team, unless you a playing fantasy football. you pick players to do a job and to compliment other players you have picked, its a team not 11 individuals. if you want beckham in the england team it means changing the rest of the team to fit around him.
his legs have gone, which means he's no use right mid if we play 442, so he could play cm so that would mean dropping gerrard or lampard and playing a holding player with beckham who has no pace....crazy
should we use him as a sub, for his dead balls? no.
maybe im missing something, could somebody give me a formation that england could play with beckham?

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
01 Feb 09

Originally posted by stellspalfie
beckham has talent, there is no argument there, and he may be the best right sided english player in the last 15yrs, but that says more about english football than it does about beckham.
being the "best" in each position is no way to pick a team, unless you a playing fantasy football. you pick players to do a job and to compliment other players you hav ...[text shortened]... m missing something, could somebody give me a formation that england could play with beckham?
His legs have gone?

How is he managing 90 minutes for Milan? You're not judging him based on his last couple of performances for England while he was training and playing in an amateur league?

Pace was never his game, but he always had stamina in abundance.

He can still do a job on the right, but what he needs is a marauding right back to get past the full back, and give Beckham a yard to swing in a cross. That's why Neville and Beckham formed such a lethal partnership. Neville was prepared to sprint 60 yards just to gain Beckham a half yard for the cross.

D

Moves
01 Feb 09

beckham may have stamina and his game may not need pace, for milan playing a passing slow build up thats great.
back to his early man utd days, although not a greyhound he still had a fair pit of pace and was integral to their fast counter attacking football, he could beat a man with kwick feet and a burst of speed give himself a yard to cross, usually within the last third. having neville storming past was a bonus.
now he has zero pace, so he likes to pass his way up the pitch, but england dont have the style or players to play that game, okay lets get a full back surging up the pitch, but against say a team like portugal our full backs going nowhere because ronaldo would step into the fullbacks left space and destroy us. so the full back is pinned. then its up to mr beckham to get forward, but he cant because hes so slow their full back has time to nip to the shops and read war and peace before beckham can get anywhere near the 18yrd area.
lets say we have cole,gerrard,lampard,barry,carrick,hargreaves and beckham, pick 4 to make a midfield that will work. impossible.
people say he can do a job, he hasnt done a job for england since the greece game.
fergie is the one of the best managers in the world (and i hate man u) if he lets him go, then he's on to something. cappello dropped him, he's not done well in america playing with players he should be destroying, hes doing well at milan, but if i had kaka doing my running id look good too.

Santiago

Moves
01 Feb 09

Much better player to break the record than either Gerrard, Lampard or Rooney. He has done more for England than those 3 combined.

Moves
01 Feb 09

Originally posted by stellspalfie
his legs have gone, which means he's no use right mid if we play 442, so he could play cm so that would mean dropping gerrard or lampard and playing a holding player with beckham who has no pace....crazy
should we use him as a sub, for his dead balls? no.
maybe im missing something, could somebody give me a formation that england could play with beckham?
what has gerrard and lampard done for england when playing together? nothing, they can't play with each other and that, as rafa would put it, is a fact. imo beckham or no beckham you have to drop one of them or play with 3 in the middle, you need someone like a carrick or hargreaves that will drop back and help the defence because neither lampard or gerrard will or indeed can do this.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
01 Feb 09

what has gerrard and lampard done for england when playing together? nothing, they can't play with each other and that, as rafa would put it, is a fact. imo beckham or no beckham you have to drop one of them or play with 3 in the middle, you need someone like a carrick or hargreaves that will drop back and help the defence because neither lampard or gerrard will or indeed can do this.
Carrick is a shoe in for the next few England games. He is by far the best midfield player in the country at the moment.

It's up to Lampard and Gerrard to fight for the other place if he plays 4-4-2.

D