Cricket at Youtube

Cricket at Youtube

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
01 Dec 06

Originally posted by Phlabibit

canoe oar
😀

I

Moves
01 Dec 06

Originally posted by Red Night
I've already posted this, but I guess you missed it.

http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/bradman/scrapbooks/14/bsb14295.htm
Yes, I see you are talking about Bradman's scrapbooks. 52 volumes, between 114 and 400 pages in each, and only one picture of Babe Ruth. Obviously Bradman was completed obsessed with the man. 🙄

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
01 Dec 06

Originally posted by Ian68
Yes, I see you are talking about Bradman's scrapbooks. 52 volumes, between 114 and 400 pages in each, and only one picture of Babe Ruth. Obviously Bradman was completed obsessed with the man. 🙄
I never said Bradman was obsessed with Ruth. I know nothing about Bradman. Never even heard of him until today.

I said that there was a picture of Bradman shaking hands with the IMMORTAL Babe Ruth in the State Library Archives.

You said I way lying.

I produced the picture.

I said that the event was front page news in Autralia. Here's the link:

http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/bradman/scrapbooks/15/bsb15217.htm

I said that Bradman was a baseball fan.

Read the Australian newspaper article.

I said that there were 100s of websites devoted to this meeting that has been lionized in Australian sports history.

Google it yourself.

I

Moves
01 Dec 06

I never said Bradman was obsessed with Ruth. I know nothing about Bradman. Never even heard of him until today.

I said that there was a picture of Bradman shaking hands with the IMMORTAL Babe Ruth in the State Library Archives.

You said I way lying.

I produced the picture.

I said that the event was front page news in Autralia. Here's the l ...[text shortened]... ted to this meeting that has been lionized in Australian sports history.

Google it yourself.
And of course you didn't make this line up youself?

"It was one of the proudest moments in Bradman's life and one of the great moments in Australian sport and cricket history."

Or did you?

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
01 Dec 06

Originally posted by Ian68
And of course you didn't make this line up youself?

"It was one of the proudest moments in Bradman's life and one of the great moments in Australian sport and cricket history."

Or did you?
I extrapolated that conclusion from the handful of the 100s of on-line articles regarding the "historic event" that I was able to read.

d

Moves
01 Dec 06

Originally posted by darvlay
That's nice that you've played both sports. Good on you. Doesn't make what you're saying a universal truth. I find chess to be easier than backgammon. Does that make chess an easier game?
Don't be silly that is not what I am saying.

Chess and Backgammon are very different games where as baseball and cricket are quite similar in that you have a ball coming towards you and you have to hit with a bat.

I could explain why cricket is more difficult but given the fact you appear to nothing about the game it would make no difference.

However I will leave you with this play a normal game of baseball except change it so that the pitcher can pitch as in standard baseball if he chooses AND he may also bounce the ball in front of the batter.

Then you might start to see why batting in cricket is technically harder.

And yes you do have strategy in cricket.

d

Moves
01 Dec 06
1 edit

Originally posted by dan182

Chess and Backgammon are very different games where as baseball and cricket are quite similar in that you have a ball coming towards you and you have to hit with a bat.

I could explain why cricket is more difficult but given the fact you appear to nothing about the game it would make no difference.

However ...[text shortened]... o see why batting in cricket is technically harder.

Please, by all means, explain. That's what I was trying to get you to do in the first place. Don't just say A and expect everyone to humble themselves. And you're right, I do know practically nothing about Cricket. Just what I've been taught in this and the other thread by Crowley, dyl and others. I hear what you're saying about the bounce...

P.S. Don't take all the dialogue too seriously. It's just a wee bit of fun old chap.

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
01 Dec 06
1 edit

However ...[text shortened]... o see why batting in cricket is technically harder.

The biggest difference between batting in cricket and batting in baseball is that in baseball there are no "do overs"

When a baseball player puts the ball in play he has to run. He doesn't have the option to stand there and say, "I don't like that one, I'll just try again."

That and the size of the bat. Much harder to hit a 5 1/4 inch ball with a broomstick than with a canoe paddle.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
01 Dec 06

The biggest difference between batting in cricket and batting in baseball is that in baseball there are no "do overs"

When a baseball player puts the ball in play he has to run. He doesn't have the option to stand there and say, "I don't like that one, I'll just try again."

That and the size of the bat. Much harder to hit a 5 1/4 inch ball with a broomstick than with a canoe paddle.
They get 'do overs'? We don't even get them in wiffleball!

😠

P-

d

Moves
01 Dec 06

Please, by all means, explain. That's what I was trying to get you to do in the first place. Don't just say A and expect everyone to humble themselves. And you're right, I do know practically nothing about Cricket. Just what I've been taught in this and the other thread by Crowley, dyl and others. I hear what you're saying about the bounce...

P.S. Don't take all the dialogue too seriously. It's just a wee bit of fun old chap.
Try my suggestion and then you will start to see.

d

Moves
01 Dec 06

Broomstick my ass

d

Moves
01 Dec 06

Oh and I said earlier I don't give a toss if you choose to believe me or not,
I certainly did not expect everyone to 'humble' themselves.

d

Moves
01 Dec 06

Oh and I said earlier I don't give a toss if you choose to believe me or not,
I certainly did not expect everyone to 'humble' themselves.
Boy, you certainly are a tough cookie. All that Cricket has made you HARD.

E
YNWA

Moves
01 Dec 06

What about strategy? What is the strategy involved in Cricket when it comes to gameplay? Or is it just hit the ball and run back and forth? (I'm assuming it's not that simple).
Lots of strategy! What's more there are now 3 versions of the international game: a 3 hour 20 over each match slog-fest, a One Day International (ODI) 50 over each game, and a 'test', which each team has two innings and the only limit is the time - 5 days. So you can see that the longer version of the game requires a lot more patience and subtle tactics, whereas the slog-fest version is more damage-limitation tactics.

Some basic tactics: bowlers can get the batsman out by hitting his wicket or making him hit the ball and having it caught. There are fast bowlers, medium pace bowlers, slow bowlers, swing bowlers and spin bowlers. The batsman is likely to hit the ball in different areas depending on the type of bowler, so the captain has to set his field accordingly. He can play mind games like leave an obvious position empty so the batsman thinks, 'yeah I'm going to hit it over there', only for the bowler to suddenly serve up something unexpected, confusing the batsman and maybe getting him out. The bowler can give the batsman false confidence, serving up easy balls, then all of a sudden bowling one 20 mph faster right at the wicket. Actually getting a wicket (i.e. getting a batsman out) involves a lot of these tactics, not simply bowling straight at the wicket and trying to get him out each ball.

For the batsman it's a case of trying to dominate the bowler. Say if it's a spin bowler the batsman might run forward to get to where the ball pitchs on the ground, so they can get a huge hit out of it. Doing this many times will make the opposition captain think, right I'd better put a different bowler on, but in the 5 day version of the game these bowlers might just have finished a spell and already be exhausted.

Loads and loads more that you see as you get more in to the game.

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
01 Dec 06

Broomstick my ass
No thanks. I'm not in to that sort of thing.