College football 2009

College football 2009

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
06 Oct 09

Originally posted by badmoon
I think that you'll handle the Badgers. they just beat my Gophers but they weren't all that impressive.
Can I get that in writing?

E

Moves
10 Oct 09

The interesting part of the college football season is now coming to an end. Now that we are headed into conference play I think the season gets a lot less interesting. Too much incest. Same teams play the same teams year in and year out. Name schools are assumed good and no name teams assumed bad.

Hell, if OU hadn't lost two games by a total of 2 points, they'd be viewed as one of the best teams in the nation. When they win most of their Big XII games that false identity would be spewed by the talking heads. In the same way, SEC teams are believed great because they only lose to other SEC teams this time of year. Crap, crap, crap, crap, crap.

One game at the end of the season after being off a month doesn't mean much. College football would be a lot more interersting if they'd have a play off system.

w

Moves
12 Oct 09
2 edits

Originally posted by Eladar
[
Hell, if OU hadn't lost two games by a total of 2 points, they'd be viewed as one of the best teams in the nation. When they win most of their Big XII games that false identity would be spewed by the talking heads. In the same way, SEC teams are believed great because they only lose to other SEC teams this time of year. Crap, crap, crap, crap, crap.

One n much. College football would be a lot more interersting if they'd have a play off system.[/b]
Speaking of SEC teams always being the most highly ranked, Texas lost its #2 spot to Alabama. I suppose to get it back they actually need to play someone worth more than a dollar in change....and not struggle beating them when they do. When they play #12 Oaklahoma next week, that will be their fist challenge.

As for my Buckeyes, what can you say? They won 31-13 even though they had half the yardage and half the number of first downs as unbeaten Wisconsin had. However, OSU was the only team to score an offensive touchdown. It simply was a wierd, wierd game.

As for TP, I'm beginning to wonder if he wears his (crash) helmet on and off the field after watching him play the first half of the game....if you know what I mean.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
12 Oct 09

q

Moves
13 Oct 09

Originally posted by Eladar
The interesting part of the college football season is now coming to an end. Now that we are headed into conference play I think the season gets a lot less interesting. Too much incest. Same teams play the same teams year in and year out. Name schools are assumed good and no name teams assumed bad.

Hell, if OU hadn't lost two games by a total of 2 poin ...[text shortened]... n much. College football would be a lot more interersting if they'd have a play off system.
Myabe this is obvious but I think the conference schedule does a great job determining who is the best team in a conference. I really was satisfied when the winner of one conference played the winner of another conference. If USC won the Rose Bowl they were a legtimate champion of 20 or so teams.
So right now, I might not be sure who is the best of the three teams (Ohio State, Penn State or Iowa) but the big 10 schedule will resolve that for me. Then the Pac 10 does the same the thing and the Rose bowl gave me a winner among 21 teams. You might now know if the winner of the Rose Bowl would beat the winner of the SEC or Big 12 but now that there are a whole host of one loss teams from major conference comepting with no loss teams from minor conference, it is not even clear if one team is the winner of a subgroup.
I read an article that if the BCS standings came out today that a one loss Virginia Tech team would be ranked ahead of a no loss Texas team (Texas' tougher games are yet to be played). But I think it has become more problematic comapring one loss teams in SEC with no loss teams in weaker conferences (especially those not playing out of conference games). In the end I think there are just too many teams and two few games to get one winner that all will be satisfied in college football.

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
14 Oct 09

Originally posted by quackquack
Myabe this is obvious but I think the conference schedule does a great job determining who is the best team in a conference. I really was satisfied when the winner of one conference played the winner of another conference. If USC won the Rose Bowl they were a legtimate champion of 20 or so teams.
So right now, I might not be sure who is the best of th ...[text shortened]... many teams and two few games to get one winner that all will be satisfied in college football.
It's time for the Big Ten to go to 12 and split into conferences. Of course The Irish would be a great fit but it won't happen.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
14 Oct 09

Originally posted by badmoon
It's time for the Big Ten to go to 12 and split into conferences. Of course The Irish would be a great fit but it won't happen.
If they did expand to 12 teams, would they still be the Big 10? Maybe they would change their name to the Big 12 North, forcing the Big 12 to become the Big 12 South. 😕

q

Moves
14 Oct 09

I am not sure why you need to split the Big 10 (or any conference) into a north and south. Everyone already plays virtually every other team (I actually think it would be better if everyone played every teamseven if that meant shrinking the conference slightly). Every year it is pretty clear who the conference winner is.

s

Moves
14 Oct 09

I would hope that regradless of conference teams would see fit to play the big teams. An all patsy shcedule is both unattractive and generates little income. Perhaps if they limited patsies to away games and brought in the big teams for home games and reciprocated every other year. Wouldn't it be great to have OSU-TX every year or teams of your choice. SEC has a distinct advantage over other conferences by virtue of the strength of their teams. Lots of attractive games every year.

Prediction: Boise St. gets upset by Tulsa tonight!!!!!!

w

Moves
15 Oct 09
1 edit

Originally posted by scacchipazzo
I would hope that regradless of conference teams would see fit to play the big teams. An all patsy shcedule is both unattractive and generates little income. Perhaps if they limited patsies to away games and brought in the big teams for home games and reciprocated every other year. Wouldn't it be great to have OSU-TX every year or teams of your choice. ...[text shortened]... Lots of attractive games every year.

To OSU's credit, they seem to have tried and scheduled tough opponents. For example, they began with playing Texas away and at home for two years straight. Then they scheduled USC away and at home for the last two years. Then they plan on playing Miami for the next two years. However, I don't see other schools doing this. More is the pity.

s

Moves
16 Oct 09

Originally posted by whodey
To OSU's credit, they seem to have tried and scheduled tough opponents. For example, they began with playing Texas away and at home for two years straight. Then they scheduled USC away and at home for the last two years. Then they plan on playing Miami for the next two years. However, I don't see other schools doing this. More is the pity.
Unfortunately, as soon as schools decide this is the way to go they then stop sooner than later. I wish Texas were more like OSU in that way. Always tough opponents.

q

Moves
16 Oct 09

Originally posted by scacchipazzo
I would hope that regradless of conference teams would see fit to play the big teams. An all patsy shcedule is both unattractive and generates little income. Perhaps if they limited patsies to away games and brought in the big teams for home games and reciprocated every other year. Wouldn't it be great to have OSU-TX every year or teams of your choice. ...[text shortened]... Lots of attractive games every year.

How can you say that bad schedules don't generate income. My favorite team has had 100,000+ people at every game since 1975. Certainly as far as direct ticket sales go, there is no incentive to play good teams. The only way you will get tough out of conference games scheduled is to rank teams with one loss and a good schedule ahead of teams with no losses. Unfortunately, there is a romantic notion of the 1984 BYU (who beat a team that ended up 6-6 in a bowl game) and too much hopes of getting a classic game like the Oklahoma-Boise game. I'd rather have great out conference game and be more forgving of teams that win 4 of 5 or 5 of 6 games against ranked teams.

s

Moves
16 Oct 09

Originally posted by quackquack
How can you say that bad schedules don't generate income. My favorite team has had 100,000+ people at every game since 1975. Certainly as far as direct ticket sales go, there is no incentive to play good teams. The only way you will get tough out of conference games scheduled is to rank teams with one loss and a good schedule ahead of teams with no los ...[text shortened]... rence game and be more forgving of teams that win 4 of 5 or 5 of 6 games against ranked teams.
My wishful thinking, as always. However, being in Dallas I get to see the windfall Texas-OU brings. Tons of revelers, partying, restaurants make a killing, lots of cute Oakie girls. This weekend we also have Navy in town. Both games are likely sold out. I have been at the State Fair during TX-OU and the atmosphere is indeed great. Amazingly the crowds are always well behaved. We also get the Grambling-Prairie View Classic and again the atmosphere is wonderful. I hope we never lose these games!

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
17 Oct 09

Boise State got by Tulsa, though the 28-21 win hardly helps them in their longshot quest to get into the title game. Cincinnati scored an impressive win at South Florida and looks like a possible title contender.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
17 Oct 09

Jimmy Claussen is getting Heisman buzz, now all he has to do is run up some numbers on USC and maybe, just maybe get an Irish win. I'll believe it when I see it but somehow I don't feel the game at South Bend is going to be another Trojan blowout.