College football 2008

College football 2008

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E

Moves
20 Sep 08
1 edit

I watched the end of the game this time. ABC coverage switched over after the Texas A&M game.

Notre Dame had a shot to make the game close, but they blew it. That's what bad teams do. When it comes down to it, they can either execute or choke. The domers choked. Michigan State isn't even a very good team, as you pointed out earlier.

As far as knowing something about football, I'd venture to guess that I've played and coached the game many more years than you ever have. I played at college level, true for a division II school, but college football all the same. I even made the all Conference team.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
20 Sep 08

Originally posted by Eladar
I watched the end of the game this time. ABC coverage switched over after the Texas A&M game.

Notre Dame had a shot to make the game close, but they blew it. That's what bad teams do. When it comes down to it, they can either execute or choke. The domers choked. Michigan State isn't even a very good team, as you pointed out earlier.

As far as knowi ...[text shortened]... r a division II school, but college football all the same. I even made the all league team.
I doubt it. Anyone who claims that most games aren't decided by mistakes and turnovers hasn't been around the game much.

E

Moves
20 Sep 08

You can doubt it all you like. Evidently you are unable to understand what I'm saying since you are putting words in my mouth.

I feel very sorry for you. This is going to be another long year. The domers will probably defeat Syracuse and Pitt, but Notre Dame will have a difficult time with the rest of its schedule.

Human

Burnsville, NC, USA

Moves
21 Sep 08

Originally posted by no1marauder
What game did you watch??? The only TD Notre Dame's defense gave up until the final two minutes was when MSU started on ND's 22 and the Spartans had to convert a fourth down to do that. Are you sure you had the picture on?
Well, I was flipping back and forth between a team with a real D, Florida and this sloppy, sloppy game. If you think that ND is playing great football, then, unfortunately, I'll have to agree with Eladar again; you don't know much about football. They got pushed all over the field. State didn't convert, but that isn't saying it was because ND was playing stellar D, more that State just faltered.

I'm thinking ND is looking at losing at least 2 more, if not 4 more games.

Bear in mind, I am neither a State fan, nor a ND fan, nor a Florida fan. You were claiming the ND was playing BCS level ball and they clearly are not.

Human

Burnsville, NC, USA

Moves
21 Sep 08

I doubt it. Anyone who claims that most games aren't decided by mistakes and turnovers hasn't been around the game much.
I will agree that turnovers are often the catalyst in a game. However, a bad O can turn the ball over, but a good D can create turnovers. So just saying turnovers are the difference is a bit ambiguous. Was the D so good that they were creating turnovers or was the O so bad that they just kept throwing the ball to your defenders?

S
Lead, Follow, or..

Saint Petersburg, FL

Moves
21 Sep 08

Well, I certainly agree with you. Look at the Fla/Tennessee game. The Vols outgained Florida, but turnovers and Big D when needed turned it into a rout.

The Gators were never out of control, but looking at yards gained and time of possession you'd think the score would be closer. Yards gained can also come in big chunks such as a very long touchdown.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
21 Sep 08

Originally posted by CliffLandin
Well, I was flipping back and forth between a team with a real D, Florida and this sloppy, sloppy game. If you think that ND is playing great football, then, unfortunately, I'll have to agree with Eladar again; you don't know much about football. They got pushed all over the field. State didn't convert, but that isn't saying it was because ND was playing ...[text shortened]... Florida fan. You were claiming the ND was playing BCS level ball and they clearly are not.
I never claimed that ND was "playing great football"; I'm surprised that you would stoop to such obvious mischaracterization, Cliff. I said "ND's defense played pretty good" which is still true. If the offense or even the kicking game had performed better, the Irish might have won.

I made two related claims: 1) That Michigan State was the toughest game on the rest of ND's schedule; and 2) That IF they beat MSU and Purdue they'd have a good shot at a BCS bowl. I still think that 1) is true and 2) really doesn't matter now, does it? Next week against Purdue will be a bellwether; if they win, I don't think they'll lose more than 2 more - if they lose, it might be about a .500 season. I guess we'll see.

Human

Burnsville, NC, USA

Moves
21 Sep 08

I never claimed that ND was "playing great football"; I'm surprised that you would stoop to such obvious mischaracterization, Cliff. I said "ND's defense played pretty good" which is still true. If the offense or even the kicking game had performed better, the Irish might have won.

I made two related claims: 1) That Michigan State was the t ...[text shortened]... more than 2 more - if they lose, it might be about a .500 season. I guess we'll see.
Ok, fair enough. Regardless, they have improved quite a bit from last season. It could be enough to allow Charlie to keep his job.

Oklahoma USA

Moves
21 Sep 08

Originally posted by whodey
Ok kids, lets get it on!!

Starting off I would just like to say, GO BUCKS!!!!

Also, I think we can all agree that the Big Ten is by far the best division in college football as where the SEC is a pathetic joke of a division. In addition, USC should finish dead last in the polls this year as we watch my Buckeys take it all!!!

Comments?

Starting off I would just like to say, GO SOONERS!!!!

Also, I think we can all agree that the Big Twelve is by far the best division in college football as where the Big Ten is a pathetic joke of a division. In addition, OSU should finish dead last in the polls this year as we watch my Sooners take it all!!!

- Now it's your turn -

Starting off I would just like to say, GO ____________!!!!

Also, I think we can all agree that the _______ is by far the best division in college football as where the ___ is a pathetic joke of a division. In addition, ___ should finish dead last in the polls this year as we watch my _______ take it all!!!

This is so fun!

E

Moves
21 Sep 08

Originally posted by SmookieP
Well, I certainly agree with you. Look at the Fla/Tennessee game. The Vols outgained Florida, but turnovers and Big D when needed turned it into a rout.

The Gators were never out of control, but looking at yards gained and time of possession you'd think the score would be closer. Yards gained can also come in big chunks such as a very long touchdown.
The difference between Florida and ND is that ND got most of its scores because Michigan turned the ball over and gave ND a short field.

I find it difficult to believe that a ND homer can stir up this kind of discussion for so long.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
21 Sep 08

The difference between Florida and ND is that ND got most of its scores because Michigan turned the ball over and gave ND a short field.

I find it difficult to believe that a ND homer can stir up this kind of discussion for so long.
I don't find it difficult to believe that someone so ignorant of how football games are decided keeps claiming to be an expert on this board.

E

Moves
21 Sep 08

Most games are determined by two factors: physcial talent and experience.

Yes, turnover can determine the outcome and they do in a few games, but most games are determined by the difference in size and speed of the players on the field. When size, speed, stregnth and ability are about equal between well coached teams, then play calling can become a big factor.

Speed kills and lack of speed is suicide.

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
21 Sep 08

Originally posted by Lucky Baldwin

Starting off I would just like to say, GO SOONERS!!!!

Also, I think we can all agree that the Big Twelve is by far the best division in college football as where the Big Ten is a pathetic joke of a division. In addition, OSU should finish dead last in the polls this year as we watch my Sooners take it all!!!

- Now ...[text shortened]... ish dead last in the polls this year as we watch my _______ take it all!!!

This is so fun!
Also, I think we can all agree that the __SEC_____ is by far the best division in college football as where the __Big East_ is a pathetic joke of a division. In addition, _Az State__ should finish dead last in the polls this year as we watch my ____Gophers___ take it all!!!

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
21 Sep 08

Most games are determined by two factors: physcial talent and experience.

Yes, turnover can determine the outcome and they do in a few games, but most games are determined by the difference in size and speed of the players on the field. When size, speed, stregnth and ability are about equal between well coached teams, then play calling can become a big factor.

Speed kills and lack of speed is suicide.
When you're talking about the Division I football at the highest levels, everybody has physical talent, experience and speed. Who wins is decided by mistakes; player A misses a block, Player B misses a tackle, Player C fumbles at a critical time, etc. etc. etc. That's how it is; it how you execute that decides the games particularly how you execute in a few critical situations.

Who gets more yards isn't terribly relevant and doesn't show that a team has "outplayed" the other as you initially claimed.

E

Moves
21 Sep 08
1 edit

When you're talking about the Division I football at the highest levels, everybody has physical talent, experience and speed

Perhaps in comparison to the average person, but not in comparison to each other.

Your statement has got to be about the most ignorant statement I've ever read.