Champions League 2007/2008

Champions League 2007/2008

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AB

Moves
09 Nov 07

Originally posted by Ragnorak
If you're happy with the way Liverpool have played so far this season (bar 1 result against a poor team), then fair enough. Personally, I'm glad that I support a team who always try to play football, but if the long ball game is your idea of entertainment, so be it.

D
I'm happy with the majority of the games we've played this season. But that's not the point I'm making - What I'll be most happy with is winning trophies and none of them have been won yet.

a

Moves
11 Nov 07

Chelsea, Man U, Arsenal --------1st
Rangers, Celtic ------------------2nd
Liverpool -------------------------3rd

P

Moves
12 Nov 07

Inter, Arsenal, Barca and Man Utd are the main dangers this season in the champions league.
Milan is still excellent, but....... their current form is dissappointing. They just need to meet up with inter or arsenal, and they will be eliminated. they cannot keep up with the pace of those.
Madrid have an excellent squad, however, they have not gelled well enough to compete against this years big guns.
Inter are technically the most complete squad, however consistency...
Arsenal are exhillerating, however if Fabregas is injured, they will meet up with a crises.
Barca are just superb. If they find consistency, there are very few defences that can cope with them.
Man utd(although i dislike them) have a squad capable of great things. Inter or Milan have the ability to beat them, was their styles are just superb to Man Utd's.
All i hope is that Arsenal dont get injury problems. Then they can win.

H
SUPREMO OF SOMERSET

SOMERSET

Moves
14 Nov 07

Originally posted by trevor33
a few years ago, maybe 2, i can't remember. i did a bet on some of the group winners.

i got one wrong (man utd lyon) but i covered my bet and ended up winning money anyway.

i was thinking of doing the same this year. barca/lyon i'm not touching but other than that what do you think?

i'm thinking of leaving man u out this time and doing sevilla instead of arsenal. other than that i'm doing the top seeds (although i don't like chelsea)
tut tut tut, well now look who's wrong to judge Arsenal's skill, quality and consistency😀

H
SUPREMO OF SOMERSET

SOMERSET

Moves
14 Nov 07

Originally posted by Pawafool
Inter, Arsenal, Barca and Man Utd are the main dangers this season in the champions league.
Milan is still excellent, but....... their current form is dissappointing. They just need to meet up with inter or arsenal, and they will be eliminated. they cannot keep up with the pace of those.
Madrid have an excellent squad, however, they have not gelled well e ...[text shortened]... t superb to Man Utd's.
Wooo Arsenal!😀

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
14 Nov 07

Originally posted by Pawafool
Madrid have an excellent squad, however, they have not gelled well e ...[text shortened]... t superb to Man Utd's.
Arsenal's squad is paper thin as evidenced in Prague when they drew with a team that their A-team beat in record breaking fashion. That night Arsenal started with 4 first teamers and took a 0-0 hammering, while United started with 6 first teamers and comfortably won 4-0, while only have 3 shots less than Liverpool did when they broke the highest win record against Beskitas.

You only have to look at the respective squads to see that Arsenal over a season will get nowhere near United. It's all well and good praying that a team doesn't get injuries, but frankly, it's unheard of for a team competing on 3 or 4 fronts.

All over the pitch, United's squad hammers Arsenals.

Barca's defence appears totally crap, for some reason. And their away form has been abysmal so far.

I haven't really seen enough of the Italians to judge them, but as per usual, you'd have to expect Inter and Milan to be there or there abouts.

D

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
14 Nov 07

Arsenal's squad is paper thin as evidenced in Prague when they drew with a team that their A-team beat in record breaking fashion. That night Arsenal started with 4 first teamers and took a 0-0 hammering, while United started with 6 first teamers and comfortably won 4-0, while only have 3 shots less than Liverpool did when they broke the highest win record ...[text shortened]... t as per usual, you'd have to expect Inter and Milan to be there or there abouts.

D
United have a great squad but some of their players lack experience. They are definitely among the favourites, but in the knock-out stages things are usually very different and experience plays a very important role.

Also, Ronaldo seems to try too hard to prove himself in the CL. Against weaker opposition, he can do many things by himself (e.g. the 4th goal against Kiev). With tougher opposition he needs to be mentally stronger. He usually manages it very well with the national team, so I don't understand why he does that with United.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
14 Nov 07

Originally posted by Palynka
United have a great squad but some of their players lack experience. They are definitely among the favourites, but in the knock-out stages things are usually very different and experience plays a very important role.

Also, Ronaldo seems to try too hard to prove himself in the CL. Against weaker opposition, he can do many things by himself (e.g. the 4th go ...[text shortened]... anages it very well with the national team, so I don't understand why he does that with United.
Of course some of the players lack experience, but not players that you'd hope would be starting the more important knock-out games.

Van Der Sar - Champions League winner. Most caps for a Dutch player
G. Neville - Champions League winner. Numerous appearences in Semis and Quarter Finals.
Ferdinand - 10 WC appearences. Numerous apps in CL quarters and semis.
Vidic - May lack proven experience, but makes up for it with defensive brilliance.
Evra - Played in a Champions League Final with Monaco.

Ronaldo - I agree with you on this one. Has never excelled against a top team, but has improved hugely year on year so far.
Scholes - Numerous appearences in CL Semis and Quarters. Champions League winner by default. Got United to 99 final.
Hargreaves - CL winner with Munich.
Giggs - CL winner.

Rooney - Appearences in CL quarters and semis. Has played in top International tournaments.
Tevez - May lack experience of big CL games. Has excelled in hugely important games for Boca, Corinthians and Argentina.

And look at the backup players...
Brown -In squad for CL final win.
Park - CL semi appearence with PSV (as their best player in the tournament). WC appearences.
Carrick - 13 International appearences inc WC. CL quarter final experience.
Saha - French International with experience in advanced stages of CL.
Silvestre and O Shea both have huge amounts of experience (with not much talent admittedly)
Fletcher - Captain of Scotland. Numerous appearences in CL knock out stages.

Sure, the likes of Anderson, Pique, Nani and Simpson are raw, but the talent is there (especially in Anderson who I boldly predict now will battle with Fabregas for the next 10 years for the accolade of best Midfielder in the world) and things would have to be pretty dire on the injuries front for us to need to rely on the latter 3.

I honestly think you'd struggle to find a squad with better experience while retaining the excitement and stamina of youth!

D

AB

Moves
15 Nov 07

Vidic - May lack proven experience, but makes up for it with defensive brilliance.
Quantify "brilliance" for me. Is it close to, but not quite "World Class" e.g. Rio most overrated defender ever Ferdinand?

V
King of the Ring-er

Moves
15 Nov 07

Originally posted by Angry Boy
Quantify "brilliance" for me. Is it close to, but not quite "World Class" e.g. Rio most overrated defender ever Ferdinand?
Rio is not overrated.

AB

Moves
15 Nov 07

Originally posted by Virtue76
Rio is not overrated.
I guess that depends on how highly you rate him doesn't it?

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
15 Nov 07

You know the way you think Carragher is a brilliant player? Well Vidic is like that, only better.

I don't think I'd swap him for any other central defender in the world, given his age, strength, bravery and reading of the game.

Ferdinand is only overrated when you take into account his proce tag. Unfortunately, Sir Alex likes an English backbone to his squad and has to over pay for the likes of Ferdinand, Carrick, etc. He could of course pick up 20 foreigners for nothing like Wenger does, but then you'd be slating United for being a foreign team.

Ferdinand is rarely injured, has great pace and reads the game well (playing alongside the braindead Silvestre made it look like Ferdinand was constantly in poor positions). His main failing is a lack of bravery, which playing alongside Vidic should help.

But then, name me 1 central defensive player who is totally flawless.

D

AB

Moves
15 Nov 07

You know the way you think Carragher is a brilliant player? Well Vidic is like that, only better.

I don't think I'd swap him for any other central defender in the world, given his age, strength, bravery and reading of the game.

But then, name me 1 central defensive player who is totally flawless.

D
1. Carragher is a far better defender than Vidic

2. I'm quite happy with having Agger over Vidic

- but then we're obviously both biased.

Totally flawless? John Terry if you read the "popular" (gutter) press apparently is .....

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
15 Nov 07

w)

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
15 Nov 07

1. Carragher is a far better defender than Vidic

2. I'm quite happy with having Agger over Vidic

- but then we're obviously both biased.

Totally flawless? John Terry if you read the "popular" (gutter) press apparently is .....
1) Hard to debate you on this one. But given the choice of an aged international failure and Vidic, I know who I'd want.

2) You'd prefer having a crock over Vidic? Fair enough... your call.

John Terry is injury prone: flaw!

D