Champions League 2007/2008

Champions League 2007/2008

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
30 Aug 07

Here we go!

The groups are:

Group A

Liverpool, Porto, Marseille, Besiktas

Group B

Chelsea, Valencia, Schalke, Rosenborg

Group C

Real Madrid, Werder Bremen, Lazio, Olympiacos

Group D

AC Milan, Benfica, Celtic, Shakhtar Donetsk

Group E

Barcelona, Lyon, Stuttgart, Rangers

Group F

Manchester United, Roma, Sporting Lisbon, Dynamo Kiev

Group G

Inter Milan, PSV Eindhoven, CSKA Moscow, Fenerbahce

Group H

Arsenal, Sevilla/AEK Athens, Steaua Bucharest, Slavia Prague

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
30 Aug 07

In group A, Liverpool are the technical favourites in a group which can bring some surprises. All other three teams are highly irregular, which can mean a tight group until the end (with the possible exception of Liverpool).

Porto has more experience and overall skill than Marseille or Besiktas, but the difference may not be as big as the recent history in CL could suggest.

As a Porto fan, I'm happy that it isn't a bad draw overall, but concerned since it also isn't an easy draw.

Your thoughts on your team's group?

m

Moves
30 Aug 07

My first impressions is that, for a change, that's quite a balanced draw. None of them look really easy, nobody seems to have a complete nightmare.

AB

Moves
30 Aug 07

Originally posted by Palynka
Here we go!

The groups are:

[b]Group A

Liverpool, Porto, Marseille, Besiktas

Group B

Chelsea, Valencia, Schalke, Rosenborg

Group C

Real Madrid, Werder Bremen, Lazio, Olympiacos

Group D

AC Milan, Benfica, Celtic, Shakhtar Donetsk

Group E

Barcelona, Lyon, Stuttgart, Rangers

Group F

M ...[text shortened]... ow, Fenerbahce

Group H

Arsenal, Sevilla/AEK Athens, Steaua Bucharest, Slavia Prague[/b]
The top seeds should all finish top of their groups but apart from groups A, B & H, the battle for the 2nd qualifying spot looks quite open.

Only 1 F in Uckfield

Buxted UK

Moves
30 Aug 07

A dangerous prediction but the first two from each group should proceed.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
30 Aug 07
1 edit

What about Benfica? Do you think it progresses easily over Celtic? Pretty open, if you ask me.

s

6yd box

Moves
30 Aug 07

what a easy group for the ARSenal....AGAIN! and they will still get knocked out in group stages....

Only 1 F in Uckfield

Buxted UK

Moves
30 Aug 07

What about Benfica? Do you think it progresses easily over Celtic? Pretty open, if you ask me.
The portugese clubs have become selling clubs recently. However Benfica traditionally do well at home. Both Celtic and Benfica can beat Shatkar Donetsk but I feel AC will fancy Parkhead more than The Stadium of Light.

s

Moves
30 Aug 07

I suppose it bodes well for English football standards that Arsenal and liverpool have to go through the formalities of a qualification round and then they make them top seeds

i

Moves
30 Aug 07

Originally posted by invigorate
The portugese clubs have become selling clubs recently. However Benfica traditionally do well at home. Both Celtic and Benfica can beat Shatkar Donetsk but I feel AC will fancy Parkhead more than The Stadium of Light.
Shakhtar Donetsk was one second away from beating Sevilla last year in the UEFA Cup. They shouldn't be underestimated.

t

my island

Moves
31 Aug 07

a few years ago, maybe 2, i can't remember. i did a bet on some of the group winners.

i got one wrong (man utd lyon) but i covered my bet and ended up winning money anyway.

i was thinking of doing the same this year. barca/lyon i'm not touching but other than that what do you think?

i'm thinking of leaving man u out this time and doing sevilla instead of arsenal. other than that i'm doing the top seeds (although i don't like chelsea)

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
31 Aug 07

Originally posted by trevor33
a few years ago, maybe 2, i can't remember. i did a bet on some of the group winners.

i got one wrong (man utd lyon) but i covered my bet and ended up winning money anyway.

i was thinking of doing the same this year. barca/lyon i'm not touching but other than that what do you think?

i'm thinking of leaving man u out this time and doing sevilla instead of arsenal. other than that i'm doing the top seeds (although i don't like chelsea)
Porto will be top of the group. 😛

AB

Moves
31 Aug 07

Porto will be top of the group. 😛
Wanna bet on that? 😉

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
31 Aug 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Angry Boy
Wanna bet on that? 😉
Not this year. Last year, we could have been top against Arsenal, with two unlucky shots on the post by Quaresma in a game we dominated.

We were pitiful in London, though.

Edit - If we had Pepe and Anderson, I would. But this year our defense is very shaky.

t

my island

Moves
31 Aug 07

Not this year. Last year, we could have been top against Arsenal, with two unlucky shots on the post by Quaresma in a game we dominated.

We were pitiful in London, though.

Edit - If we had Pepe and Anderson, I would. But this year our defense is very shaky.
liverpool (yes liverpool 😛) ac milan, inter and real madrid all have imo cake walks as groups.

the rest are pretty tricky.

brace/lyon i'm not touching because of how well lyon tends to preform in the group stages and barce might be a bit shaky at the start of the season.

as a man utd fan i hate betting on them, have done twice in pretty big bets but they cost me in both. plus roma will be pissed from last season.

chelsea/velencia another close one but i think chelsea are less likely to loss points against the other teams.

arsenal/sevilla what can i say, i just fancy sevilla - quality side.