Best Ever Football Manager...

Best Ever Football Manager...

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ROa
Always a Red

LA

Moves
25 May 07

Originally posted by blade68
You seem to have a major problem with anyone associated with Anfield.

I like some of your posts, but this overwhelming hatred of anything red scouse sometimes makes you come across as unknowledgeable.
Yes I get carried away sometimes with my dislike for LFC, I'll show you some examples why.

Liverpool I believe are the greatest English football club because they have won the championship 18 times.
Add to this 5 European Cups and I think maybe 8 FA Cups and Liverpool clearly have had the most sucess and can go down in history at the moment as the most sucessful English club ever.

Manchester United have won 16 championship titles, 2 European Cups and 11 FA cups. I don't really class the cups in the same category as the championship victories, but you can clearly see that Manchester United have have an impressive record of sucess and if they ever get to 19 championships and Liverpool stay at 18 then I would class Manchester United as the best English side ever.

Reason being, its the championship that counts all cup wins are just bonuses.

Now, here are some examples of why Liverpool supporters really wind me up.

(1)
Manchester United won the treble in 1999.
There is only one treble: Championship, European Cup and FA Cup.
I have never found a Liverpool supporter who will recognize that Manchester United are the only club ever to have been able to achieve this.
They will not acknowledge that all the great Liverpool sides of the past could not win the treble and will not give Manchester United any credit for it.

(2)
Valid cases can be given for either Bill Shankley or Sir Alex Ferguson as being the greatest managers ever.
I believe Sir Alex has just about sealed this claim with his latest championship winning side, but you never ever see a Liverpool supported acknowledge Sir Alex's achievements.

(3)
I will gladly say that John Barnes, Robbie Fowler, Michael Owen, Steven Gerrard and Ian Rush are 5 of the greatest players I have ever seen play Championship football.
I have never seen a Liverpool supporter give any credit to players such as Roy Keane, Eric Cantona, Wayne Rooney, Christiano Ronaldo or Bryan Robson.

(4)
Liverpool in the 70's and 80's played very attractive quality football with fantastic build up play, skill and flare.
I have never seen a Liverpool supporter recognize the fantastic football Manchester United have played this season for example.

I could go on and on, but Liverpool supporters never acknowledge any achievements from Manchester United and simply reply to everything with either:-
- You can talk to me when you've won the league 18 times or
- We've won it 5 times

AB

Moves
25 May 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Rooney Once a Blue
Yes I get carried away sometimes with my dislike for LFC, I'll show you some examples why.

Liverpool I believe are the greatest English football club because they have won the championship 18 times.
Add to this 5 European Cups and I think maybe 8 FA Cups and Liverpool clearly have had the most sucess and can go down in history at the moment as
- We've won it 5 times
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

You can talk to me when you've won the league 18 times.

ROa
Always a Red

LA

Moves
25 May 07

Originally posted by Angry Boy
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

You can talk to me when you've won the league 18 times.
Exactly, so let the Rafalution continue.

2005 - CL winners.
2006 - FA Cup winners.
2007 - No trophys, no decent players, no money and 21 points adrift!

You're posting early today, had to get up to sign on?

AB

Moves
25 May 07
1 edit

You're posting early today, had to get up to sign on?
I confess to laughing at your re-hashed gag. The old ones are the best ones as they say.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
25 May 07
1 edit

Edited out

b

Bramall Lane

Moves
26 May 07

Add to this 5 European Cups and I think maybe 8 FA Cups and Liverpool clearly have had the most sucess and can go down in history at the moment as ...[text shortened]...
- We've won it 5 times
ROAB, I'm pretty sure this doesn't apply to all Liverpool fans... it's a very broad brush you're using.

ROa
Always a Red

LA

Moves
26 May 07

Originally posted by blade68
ROAB, I'm pretty sure this doesn't apply to all Liverpool fans... it's a very broad brush you're using.
You can say this is a very broad brush I'm using but I would like to hear, just once from a Liverpool supporter.

Congratulations Manchester United, Liverpool are the most sucessful English club but you managed to win the Treble, something we have not yet been able to achieve and everyone said it would be an impossible achievement.

Will you say it blade68?
Or will you remind me that you've won it 5 times?

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
26 May 07

Will you say it blade68?
LOL!

Won what 5 times? The League 1 play-offs?

D

AB

Moves
26 May 07

You can say this is a very broad brush I'm using but I would like to hear, just once from a Liverpool supporter.

Congratulations Manchester United, Liverpool are the most sucessful English club but you managed to win the Treble, something we have not yet been able to achieve and everyone said it would be an impossible achievement.

Will you say it blade68?
Another clanger from the Rooney boy. Where do you think he got the moniker "blade" from?

Rooney once a blue - dumbest poster on the sports forum ™

AB

Moves
26 May 07

Bob Paisley
Took over a winning team in England and Europe and won a few cups when the competition was pityful in both England and Europe.
Left the managers position when he could see the beginnings of a terminal decline for Liverpool into becoming a cup team at the soon to be knocked down 'Theatre of Memories' - This was Anfield.
Bob Paisley overrated? Quite simply the worst post ever on the Sports forum.

Firstly (and just for ROAB) his trophy wins per year (average) is far greater than Ferguson's.

To answer the bulk of your post - "Liverpool's starting point when he took over was so high partly because of the groundwork Paisley had himself done in the boot room. However Paisley was far more successful than Shankly, winning 19 major trophies in 9 years. In Paisley's nine seasons in charge, Liverpool won six League titles and finished second twice, won 3 League Cups, 1 UEFA Cup, 1 European Super Cup, 5 Charity Shields and, most significantly, they won the club's first 3 European Cups. He remains the only man in history to coach 3 European Cup winning sides. His success was honoured with 6 Manager of the Year awards. Furthermore is the legacy of success he left behind him at Anfield. The following season after his departure, Joe Fagan guided Liverpool to another League and European Cup double (and league cup) with a side largely fashioned under Paisley."

(Thanks to wikipedia and bobpaisley.com for the direct quotations, saving me a shed load of time)

Finally, "Left the managers position when he could see the beginnings of a terminal decline for Liverpool " - The terminal decline that saw Fagan and then Dalglish win another 12 TROPHIES OVER THE NEXT 7 YEARS!

ROAB, we all know you hate LFC but you are making yourself look a prize idiot with your posts.

asromacalcio

Almaty, Kazakhstan

Moves
26 May 07

I confess to laughing at your re-hashed gag. The old ones are the best ones as they say.
Oh no, I recked the wrong post. Nothing against you Angry Boy, but you might guess from my username I'm no fan of Liverpool... I was agreeing with Rooney OAB...

Lest there be any confusion.

asromacalcio

Almaty, Kazakhstan

Moves
26 May 07
1 edit

Liverpool are the most successful English club ever, discuss.

Well, OK, statistically, but for those of us who don't get on with them, there are a few things we can say.

1- Why can't you win the league? Seriously, I'm not carping, but you are a *very long* way short of being the best in England and have been since 1991.

2- You had 14 good years. That very successful period was started by Shanks (who could have steered my club Crewe Alexandra to glory) and continued by Paisley. Their legacy will live forever, but sadly, managers like that come around once every century, and there aren't any round right now, not knocking on your door. Either side of that period you have loitered around the top division picking up occasional trophies, and given your 120-odd year history, to have won 18 league titles is on average one a decade. These last sixteen years therefore have been more indicative of the club's fortunes since its inception than the 'blip' inspired by a one-off immortal.

Liverpool will not become the side they were without another Shanks, the same way Forest will never win the Champions League without another Cloughie.

I respect your right to dream. I thought Crewe could get in the top flight, one day, until about two years ago. Dario is past his best now, and like Shankly, Cloughie and Marcello Lippi, you don't find these guys queuing down the job centre.

But give Rafa time, they say. Hmmmm, time for what, to prove he's not really THAT good. You did that with Houllier.

AB

Moves
26 May 07

Originally posted by asromacalcio
Liverpool are the most successful English club ever, discuss.

Well, OK, statistically, but for those of us who don't get on with them, there are a few things we can say.

1- Why can't you win the league? Seriously, I'm not carping, but you are a *very long* way short of being the best in England and have been since 1991.

2- You had 14 good years ...[text shortened]... . Hmmmm, time for what, to prove he's not really THAT good. You did that with Houllier.
This has nothing to do with the thread!

ROa
Always a Red

LA

Moves
26 May 07

This has nothing to do with the thread!
Sir Alex Ferguson:
- Took over club that had not won the league in over 20 years and was in a major decline
- Dominated the League for 15 years creating 3 completely different winning teams (so far)
- Fought back and raised the bar (again) against the might of unlimited buying potenital at Chelsea
- Only manager to win the 'impossible' treble
- Won the league with kids, apparently something that can't be done
- Won more championships than any other manager
- Only manager to break the Celtic/Rangers stranglehold in Scotland
- Won every trophy there is to win (including World Club Champions, I dont think any other manager can say this)
- His teams don't just win, they win playing very attractive football
- Achieve all above against top class opponents, can other contenders say this?
- Has created more top class players from his youth teams than any other manager

Wikipedia not needed.

AB

Moves
26 May 07

Sir Alex Ferguson:
- Took over club that had not won the league in over 20 years and was in a major decline
- Dominated the League for 15 years creating 3 completely different winning teams (so far)
- Fought back and raised the bar (again) against the might of unlimited buying potenital at Chelsea
- Only manager to win the 'impossible' tre ...[text shortened]... more top class players from his youth teams than any other manager

Wikipedia not needed.
I may support Liverpool, and have nothing but hatred for the Mancs, but you won't find a post on here where I have belittled Old Red Nose's acheivements. You, on the other hand, look the fool (nothing changes there) for claiming Bob Paisley was overrated in a silly attempt to wind up Liverpool fans.

If you actually do believe Paisley was overrated then it proves everything I ever said about you. Thick as pig 5hit.