Arsene Wenger Puts The

Arsene Wenger Puts The "Arse" in Arsenal

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E
Cognitive Junta

Moves
29 Nov 06

Is Wenger serious? Considering Cannavaro has/is playing for the elite clubs of both the Italian and Spanish leagues.

http://www.theworldgame.com.au/italy/index.php?pid=st&cid=78911

Wenger: Henry should have won - PA Sport

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger insisted it was a 'mistake' not to name Gunners captain Thierry Henry as European Player of the Year - and that the World Cup was the 'lowest level' of football.

Italy captain Fabio Cannavaro took the prestigious Ballon D'Or - awarded by France Football magazine - ahead of countryman and Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon, both of whom tasted success in Germany this summer.

France striker Henry, 29, meanwhile, was third - despite having helped Arsenal reach their first European Cup final and also reaching the World Cup final for a second time with Les Blues.

For Wenger, the decision was unjust.

"It is a mistake," the Arsenal manager declared.

"It shows that the people who vote look only at the World Cup, which when you speak about elite football, in my opinion, is the lowest level in football that you can see at the moment. They make their decision on that."

"If you see Italy playing against Togo or South Korea you cannot say that Cannavaro has a good game or even Thierry Henry has a good game, that he is the best player in the world - look at the players he plays against," Wenger continued.

"To be consistent in a big championship like in England or in the Champions League for me would be much more appropriate than three weeks in the World Cup."

h

Cosmos

Moves
29 Nov 06

Originally posted by Esoteric
Is Wenger serious? Considering Cannavaro has/is playing for the elite clubs of both the Italian and Spanish leagues.

http://www.theworldgame.com.au/italy/index.php?pid=st&cid=78911

Wenger: Henry should have won - PA Sport

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger insisted it was a 'mistake' not to name Gunners captain Thierry Henry as European Player of ...[text shortened]... ns League for me would be much more appropriate than three weeks in the World Cup."
Christ, finally you are right about something!

A
Forza Azzurri!!!!!!!

WC Champs 2006

Moves
29 Nov 06

A
Forza Azzurri!!!!!!!

WC Champs 2006

Moves
29 Nov 06

Originally posted by howardgee
Christ, finally you are right about something!
Arsene Wenger is a moron.

Anyway, Thierry Henry plays in a lesser league than Cannavaro did last season, or this season for that matter.

The Italian and Spanish Leagues are far more technically difficult and so by his own logic, Henry should've been excluded from contention.

Next thing you know, he'll be saying Theo 'Pele' Walcott should be young player of the year.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
29 Nov 06

Originally posted by ASROMA
Arsene Wenger is a moron.

Anyway, Thierry Henry plays in a lesser league than Cannavaro did last season, or this season for that matter.

The Italian and Spanish Leagues are far more technically difficult and so by his own logic, Henry should've been excluded from contention.

Next thing you know, he'll be saying Theo 'Pele' Walcott should be young player of the year.
Still, Cannavaro being chosen just goes to show that nobody was anything special this year. Even with a WC being played.

A
Forza Azzurri!!!!!!!

WC Champs 2006

Moves
29 Nov 06

Originally posted by Palynka
Still, Cannavaro being chosen just goes to show that nobody was anything special this year. Even with a WC being played.
I'm not sure I agree with that.

Had Ronaldinho had a good World Cup, he would've been the hands down winner seeing as he was the driving force behind Barcelona's excellent season as well.

Juve did also win the league, even though it was ‘rigged’.

I'm just happy that a defender won it, and an Italian defender at that.

Defenders and goalkeepers are the unsung heroes of any team.

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
29 Nov 06
2 edits

"To be consistent in a big championship like in England or in the Champions League for me would be much more appropriate than three weeks in the World Cup."
There is where you see Wenger is a moron. The Spanish league is
much more competitive and plagued with stars than the English one.

Under that logic the award should have gone to
a Barcelona player or perhaps to Riquelme, or someone from Sevilla and their impressive cup.

b

Bramall Lane

Moves
30 Nov 06

Originally posted by Seitse
The Spanish league is
much more competitive and plagued with stars than the English one.
Barmiest comment of the year... just exactly how strong are those glasses you wear?

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
30 Nov 06

Originally posted by blade68
Barmiest comment of the year... just exactly how strong are those glasses you wear?
Don't be a nationalist and accept the truth, paul. Coin by coin,
player by player, European continent-wise, the Spanish league is
way more attractive from the commercial and sports point of view.

P.S. I wear thick, 4.5 points, seeing glasses 😉

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
30 Nov 06

Don't be a nationalist and accept the truth, paul. Coin by coin,
player by player, European continent-wise, the Spanish league is
way more attractive from the commercial and sports point of view.

P.S. I wear thick, 4.5 points, seeing glasses 😉
Commercially, the facts are against you though. The Premiership is the most viewed league in the world. I have to confess that these days I watch the Premiership a lot more than La Liga.

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
30 Nov 06

Commercially, the facts are against you though. The Premiership is the most viewed league in the world. I have to confess that these days I watch the Premiership a lot more than La Liga.
Oh, I didn't count on Palynka poping in, lol. Yeah, well, let's not
go into viewers because I have no figures on that... but what do you
think about commercially? All the big brands are portraying players
that play in Spain, most of them. About football... well... it's like
speaking about religion, lol, but I certainly prefer the show given
by the Spaniard teams. If I like some good old 0-0 or 1-0 then I switch
to the Premier... and if I have problem sleeping, then I watch Italian
football 😀

E
Cognitive Junta

Moves
30 Nov 06

Oh, I didn't count on Palynka poping in, lol. Yeah, well, let's not
go into viewers because I have no figures on that... but what do you
think about commercially? All the big brands are portraying players
that play in Spain, most of them. About football... well... it's like
speaking about religion, lol, but I certainly prefer the show given
by the Spania ...[text shortened]... I switch
to the Premier... and if I have problem sleeping, then I watch Italian
football 😀
If I want to see a ball constantly lobbed over the midfield to a striker then I watch the EPL. If I want to watch technical football I watch Serie A and La Liga.

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
30 Nov 06

If I want to see a ball constantly lobbed over the midfield to a striker then I watch the EPL. If I want to watch technical football I watch Serie A and La Liga.
Yup, English eternal long-pass & header style is boring and out of
fashion. When England changes that, they may even win a worlcup.

J

Moves
30 Nov 06

The Premiership is the most viewed league in the world.
Eh eh eh...!

Ew...no!

I've been pretty much everywhere in the world and the only sport shirt that you see everywhere in the world is the one from Madrid or Barcelona. You have no idea how big it is in Asia, India and obviously South/Central America, where they will be astonished to learn that they play football in England too.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
30 Nov 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Jee
Eh eh eh...!

Ew...no!

I've been pretty much everywhere in the world and the only sport shirt that you see everywhere in the world is the one from Madrid or Barcelona. You have no idea how big it is in Asia, India and obviously South/Central America, where they will be astonished to learn that they play football in England too.
Ew...no!

The FA Premier League (often referred to as the Barclays Premiership in the UK and the Barclays English Premier League internationally) is a league competition for football clubs located at the top of the English football league system (above The Football League), making it England's primary football competition. It is the world's most watched sporting league and most lucrative football league, followed by over a billion people

From Wiki. Don't care enough to search for more credible sources considering yours is...well...just you. I guess it's me and Wikipedia for now.