are the americans just missing the point..?

are the americans just missing the point..?

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
05 Dec 06

Originally posted by Red Night
You do realize that Phlabs is talking aobut Soccer-Football?

As for the rest of your ridiculous argument, read Natural Science's well stated response.
Wow, you're a genius. Very flattering of the sport isn't it?

My point was that Phlab's derision of the sport has nothing to do with anti-Europeanism as much as derision of American sports has nothing to do with anti-Americanism.

Does your thick skull get it now?

NS
blunderer of pawns

Rhode (not an)Island

Moves
05 Dec 06

Originally posted by Phlabibit
I like curling... and don't know why! I don't really get it either... has something to do with getting your stone near the center, or setting some up as blocks.

P-
It's a rather fascinating little event (not sure it deserves to be called a sport) to watch; I'm just thankful I only have to watch it once every four years.

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
05 Dec 06

Originally posted by Palynka
You're the one whining about our supposed anti-Americanism, aren't you?
The obvious superiority of the new world over the old can be easily garnered by a quick scan of the list of world cup winners.

I'm not whining. Feel free to be as anti-american as you like. I'm just pointing out the fact that these attacks aren't directed at baseball, american-football, or basketball; they're directed at america itself.

I would warn you all though to be careful what you hate, you just might become an American one day, and if not you then your kids or your grand-kids.

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
05 Dec 06

I like curling... and don't know why! I don't really get it either... has something to do with getting your stone near the center, or setting some up as blocks.

P-
I love watching those little sports, like curiling, tossing the caber, cricket, and the luge ever so often too, Phlabs.

Remember when they used to have "Wide World of Sports." Whatever happened to jumping barrells on ice skates?

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
05 Dec 06

The obvious superiority of the new world over the old can be easily garnered by a quick scan of the list of world cup winners.

I'm not whining. Feel free to be as anti-american as you like. I'm just pointing out the fact that these attacks aren't directed at baseball, american-football, or basketball; they're directed at america itself.

I would war ...[text shortened]... you just might become an American one day, and if not you then your kids or your grand-kids.
Well, they're not. It's only your anti-European prejudice that makes you think like that.

Do you think Phlab's comment attacking football was directed at non-American countries? Ridiculous, isn't it?

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
05 Dec 06

I would warn you all though to be careful what you hate, you just might become an American one day, and if not you then your kids or your grand-kids.
I'll ask you directly. Do you think I hate Americans and/or America?

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
05 Dec 06

I love watching those little sports, like curiling, tossing the caber, cricket, and the luge ever so often too, Phlabs.

Remember when they used to have "Wide World of Sports." Whatever happened to jumping barrells on ice skates?
WOW! What did happen to jumping barrells? I would guess they maxed out and everyone could do X number but not X+1?

Wide World of Sports... I can just picture that dude taking the dump skiing and the poster ripping off the jump as he tumbles through the jump.

P-

NS
blunderer of pawns

Rhode (not an)Island

Moves
05 Dec 06

My point was that Phlab's derision of the sport has nothing to do with anti-Europeanism as much as derision of American sports has nothing to do with anti-Americanism.

In some cases that has been true, but certain people on this board have a certain anti-American bias, namely howardgee.

One of his earlier posts (emphasis is from me):

"This sums up the Yanks' mentality.

Because they wear helmets, the other side has to wear padding.
Perhaps if they didn't wear helmets, then they mouldn't need padding?
Hey it's just a crazy idea?
Then instead of looking like a load of wanckers, they would look like sportsmen the world over playing rugby league, rugby union, Aussie rules, Gaelic football, etc.

Still, in a land where you have to have a gun to protect yourself from all the other loons with guns, this sheer stupidity is hardly surprising."

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
05 Dec 06

Wow, you're a genius. Very flattering of the sport isn't it?

Does your thick skull get it now?
Talk about thick?

P was defending baseball and american-football from unwarranted attacks. That is what most of us have been doing in this thread.

And no matter how badly we best yyou and the other attackers time and time again, you still come back with the same hackneyed arguments. "Duh, Cricket is harder than baseball...mehhh!"

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
05 Dec 06

WOW! What did happen to jumping barrells? I would guess they maxed out and everyone could do X number but not X+1?

Wide World of Sports... I can just picture that dude taking the dump skiing and the poster ripping off the jump as he tumbles through the jump.

P-
"The agony of defeat"

That was a great show. 2 minutes of Cricket, 5 minutes of tossing the caber and then on to the barrell jumping....

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
05 Dec 06

Originally posted by Natural Science
In some cases that has been true, but certain people on this board have a certain anti-American bias, namely howardgee.

One of his earlier posts (emphasis is from me):

"This sums up the Yanks' mentality.

Because they wear helmets, the other side has to wear padding.
Perhaps if they didn't wear helmets, then they mouldn't need padding?
Hey ...[text shortened]... urself from all the other loons with guns, this sheer stupidity is hardly surprising.
"[/b]
Like I said, I've no problem with naming and shaming.

Just that putting Europeans in the same sack with claims of anti-Americanism is ridiculous and hypocrite.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
05 Dec 06

Talk about thick?

P was defending baseball and american-football from unwarranted attacks. That is what most of us have been doing in this thread.

And no matter how badly we best yyou and the other attackers time and time again, you still come back with the same hackneyed arguments. "Duh, Cricket is harder than baseball...mehhh!"
I don't see any attack in the original post. Quote it and highlight the attacks.

Who exactly are these 'you' that you mention when talking to me? How can I possibly be included in that group?

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
05 Dec 06

I'll ask you directly. Do you think I hate Americans and/or America?
I don't know. You tell me.

I love Europeans. I love Soccer. I love the World Cup, the European Championships, the FA Cup, the Open Championship, the World Series, the Super Bowl, the Final Four, the Masters,...

My favorite teams include Bayern Munchen, the NY Yankees, Real Madrid, the Dallas Cowboys, DC United, Manchester United, Cincinnati Reds, the Hearts, NY Knickerbockers, Michingan Wolverines, Butler Bulldogs, AC Milan, Indiana Pacers,

I don't have much of an interest in Cricket, but I'm not going to start a thread and bash the 7 or 8 countries that do.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
05 Dec 06

I don't know. You tell me.

I love Europeans. I love Soccer. I love the World Cup, the European Championships, the FA Cup, the Open Championship, the World Series, the Super Bowl, the Final Four, the Masters,...

My favorite teams include Bayern Munchen, the NY Yankees, Real Madrid, the Dallas Cowboys, DC United, Manchester United, Cincinnati Reds, th ...[text shortened]... terest in Cricket, but I'm not going to start a thread and bash the 7 or 8 countries that do.
Ok. I guess I misread you when you made those comments about parochialism from those 'across the pond'. I guess you did hit a nerve.

Sorry for the over-reaction.

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
05 Dec 06
1 edit

Ok. I guess I misread you when you made those comments about parochialism from those 'across the pond'. I guess you did hit a nerve.

Sorry for the over-reaction.
Sorry Palynka. I've always liked you.

My comments about parochialism were not directed at you, or dyl, or mtthw, or anyone else who was being sensible.

They were directed at those who were flat-out bashing america and american sports.