are the americans just missing the point..?

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

r

Moves
19 Nov 06

198 countries tried to qualify for the world cup in germany in 2006; it was watched by over 3 billion people and from five continents, doesn't this make the world series (shouldnt it be called the usa series..?) look rather small..? also, i have no idea who won the world series, when it is or who's in it, it's never on the news, never in the papers... does the final also get watched by over 3 billion people..? with that in mind, do most americans accept the fact the biggest sporting event in the world belongs to the world cup..?

DS
I'm A Mighty Pirateā„¢

PaTROLLING the forum

Moves
19 Nov 06
1 edit

Originally posted by rooktakesqueen
198 countries tried to qualify for the world cup in germany in 2006; it was watched by over 3 billion people and from five continents, doesn't this make the world series (shouldnt it be called the usa series..?) look rather small..? also, i have no idea who won the world series, when it is or who's in it, it's never on the news, never in the papers... ...[text shortened]... americans accept the fact the biggest sporting event in the world belongs to the world cup..?
You might want to go and double check your made up statistics before you embarrass yourself further with your pointless whining.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
20 Nov 06

198 countries tried to qualify for the world cup in germany in 2006; it was watched by over 3 billion people and from five continents, doesn't this make the world series (shouldnt it be called the usa series..?) look rather small..? also, i have no idea who won the world series, when it is or who's in it, it's never on the news, never in the papers... ...[text shortened]... americans accept the fact the biggest sporting event in the world belongs to the world cup..?
3 billion flies like crap, doesn't mean I do.

USA doesn't care for a sport where you fake an injury when someone gets near you. It's played on a huge field and you would be lucky to see 3 goals in a game.

Most Americans don't understand that 'football' IS the most popular sport in the world and why. I do, but I couldn't care any less about it. It's too slow, too low scoring, and too boring.

P-

J

Moves
20 Nov 06

Can't you accept the fact that the World Cup isn't the biggest sporting event in the world, it is clearly the Olympics!

r

Moves
20 Nov 06

actually you're wrong, the world cup has more countries participating in it and is watched by more people than the olympics; so just to clear up misunderstanding, the world cup is still the biggest... also, to answer the other navie post on here, please check your stats, do a search for it on google or read any good info on the last world cup and you will find the tounament was watched by over 3 billion people... as for the world series (usa series); we have a game like that in the UK, a player has a bat and you throw a ball at him and he has to hit it as far as possible and then make it round a diamond shape, if he misses it 3 times he's out - we call it rounders and usually play it up until the age of about 7 when by then most kids have grown out of it...

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
20 Nov 06
1 edit

actually you're wrong, the world cup has more countries participating in it and is watched by more people than the olympics; so just to clear up misunderstanding, the world cup is still the biggest... also, to answer the other navie post on here, please check your stats, do a search for it on google or read any good info on the last world cup and you and usually play it up until the age of about 7 when by then most kids have grown out of it...
Rounders, ha ha ha! Anyone make 25 million a year playing it?

Footie is the most popular sport in the world, but here in the US baseball and NFL rule. It's the way we want it.

P-

sc

where angels play

Moves
20 Nov 06

Originally posted by Phlabibit
Rounders, ha ha ha! Anyone make 25 million a year playing it?

Footie is the most popular sport in the world, but here in the US baseball and NFL rule. It's the way we want it.

P-
Comparing rounders to baseball is a little unfair...... Rounders is clearly the more superior game

d

Moves
20 Nov 06

Why is football/soccer more popular than other sports on a global scale? Because all the poor people in the world play it and God knows there's a lot of those buggers around. Really, all you need is a spheroid, feet and some random inanimate objects to form goalposts.

Not every kid in Sao Paolo or Cameroon can afford a super-sweet Rawlings glove or an aluminum Louisville Slugger. Tough beans for them, I guess.

(Hi Phlabby!)

Lord

Sewers of Holland

Moves
20 Nov 06

Yup. Sadly, not only in sport...

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
20 Nov 06

Originally posted by sally cinnamon
Comparing rounders to baseball is a little unfair...... Rounders is clearly the more superior game
Because Rounders is so great... right?

Anyone ever get hit in the face with a 90MPH rounders pitch? If so, I'll look into it.

Other than that, you're being silly.

P-

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
20 Nov 06

Originally posted by darvlay
Why is football/soccer more popular than other sports on a global scale? Because all the poor people in the world play it and God knows there's a lot of those buggers around. Really, all you need is a spheroid, feet and some random inanimate objects to form goalposts.

Not every kid in Sao Paolo or Cameroon can afford a super-sweet Rawlings glove or an aluminum Louisville Slugger. Tough beans for them, I guess.

(Hi Phlabby!)
Yes, cash is the problem.

Hey Mr. Lee!

P-

P
Banned from edits

Grammar dyslexic

Moves
20 Nov 06

Round here we just call soccer kickball.

You find a team that in the world that can beat the cardinals or tigers in a best of 7 series and I'll consider your argument. But since thats impossible then your argument against baseball is rendered pointless.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
20 Nov 06

Originally posted by PocketKings
Round here we just call soccer kickball.

You find a team that in the world that can beat the cardinals or tigers in a best of 7 series and I'll consider your argument. But since thats impossible then your argument against baseball is rendered pointless.
US baseball didn't do too well in that baseball world cup thing, but that's OK. MLB has players from all over the world, and more come all the time.

I just can't think of any MLB players from Great Britain. Why, I wonder...

The best seem to come from Asia and Hispanic countries, but anyone from any place could surprise you with their skills... if they got em.

P-

E
YNWA

Moves
20 Nov 06

Originally posted by Phlabibit

I just can't think of any MLB players from Great Britain. Why, I wonder...

P-
Because it's just not cricket dear chap.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
20 Nov 06

Originally posted by ElleEffSeee
Because it's just not cricket dear chap.
Cheers!

P-