1. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    13 Feb '06 02:443 edits
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    [b]College depends crucially upon free inquiry. It is the time when students learn to question everything they believe. They shape their own paradigm both through rigorous investigation in the classroom and life experience in a safe (relative to the outside world) environment. The student decides for themselves what is right and wrong (as they must in o ...[text shortened]... pre-algebra begins at third grade; algebra in earnest by fourth.
    But then, what do I know?
    [/b]
    The "What do you know" was not intended as an insult but a way of saying, "there I've answered your challenge; now can you do the same."

Your response, besides being the typical parent bragging fluff, falls far short of being worthy of a considered response, so I won't give it one.

Edit: You teaching kids mathematics? (shudder)
  2. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    13 Feb '06 02:523 edits
    [b]College depends crucially upon free inquiry. It is the time when students learn to question everything they believe. They shape their own paradigm both through rigorous investigation in the classroom and life experience in a safe (relative to the outside world) environment. The student decides for themselves what is right and wrong (as they must in o ...[text shortened]... pre-algebra begins at third grade; algebra in earnest by fourth.
    [/b]
    If algrebra is taught in fourth grade, why does it need to be one of the four main courses in the BJU curriculum for a major in Mathematics?

Also, in your home schooling, do you recommend segregating by gender for topics such as Bible?
  3. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    13 Feb '06 03:01
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    If algrebra is taught in fourth grade, why does it need to be one of the four main courses in the BJU curriculum for a major in Mathematics?

Also, in your home schooling, do you recommend segregating by gender for topics such as Bible?
    The math curriculum today is unrecognizable to almost anyone over 30. In today's so-called integrated math, third graders are learning a few basic elements of algebra, while ninth graders are just beginning things we did in seventh. The curriculum is still recognizable to old timers at the college level, where Calculus I and II is Freshman year (Calculus I was in HS, however, for most who will succeed as math majors or engineering in the better programs).
  4. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    13 Feb '06 03:121 edit
    Jeez, the tuition at this place is $13,440! What a fleecing! I have reviewed the curricula for a variety of the traditional fields of study and have yet to find much beyond what a dedicated student can learn for free in a public high school. For example, consider the core of their biophysics program: general biology, general chemistry, and general physics! To advertise as a university is a fraud.
  5. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    13 Feb '06 03:13
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    The math curriculum today is unrecognizable to almost anyone over 30. In today's so-called integrated math, third graders are learning a few basic elements of algebra, while ninth graders are just beginning things we did in seventh. The curriculum is still recognizable to old timers at the college level, where Calculus I and II is Freshman year (Calculus I w ...[text shortened]... n HS, however, for most who will succeed as math majors or engineering in the better programs).
    Yeah, I took Calc I in 9th grade and most of the people in my program took it by 11th, and we're only economists. A lot of these good math majors come into college taking junior and senior level courses.

Hell, we have a kid in the Math PhD program here at UVA that entered at 14, but he's quite a bit more than just a few std. deviations to the right of the mean.
  6. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    13 Feb '06 03:15
    Jeez, the tuition at this place is $13,440! What a fleecing! I have reviewed the curricula for a variety of the traditional fields of study and have yet to find much beyond what a dedicated student can learn for free in a public high school. For example, consider the core of their biophysics program: general biology, general chemistry, and general physics! To advertise as a university is a fraud.
    Wait an evangelist fraud??? Hold the phone!
  7. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    13 Feb '06 03:33
    Originally posted by telerion
    Wait an evangelist fraud??? Hold the phone!
    Your telethon donation is important to us, however all of our operators are currently engaged. Please hold we will allow you to give us money presently.
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    13 Feb '06 03:45
    The "What do you know" was not intended as an insult but a way of saying, "there I've answered your challenge; now can you do the same."

Your response, besides being the typical parent bragging fluff, falls far short of being worthy of a considered response, so I won't give it one.

Edit: You teaching kids mathematics? (shudder)
    Because you're so much more adept, it can be assumed?
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    13 Feb '06 03:48

The fact that the students of today are being dumbed down is a disservice to all. As my children range in age, there must be segregation period, regardless of gender. I have considered, however, making choices based upon their eye color. Is that bad?
  10. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    13 Feb '06 04:14
    Because you're so much more adept, it can be assumed?
    Is this the depth of your argument? I can only hope that like I did with my religious home schooling, your kids will have the opportunity to receive a real education. If your kids are really as bright as you brag, then they can find scholarships to good prep schools. Who knows? Maybe some day they can even come back and give their dad some math lessons. 😉
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    13 Feb '06 04:33
    Is this the depth of your argument? I can only hope that like I did with my religious home schooling, your kids will have the opportunity to receive a real education. If your kids are really as bright as you brag, then they can find scholarships to good prep schools. Who knows? Maybe some day they can even come back and give their dad some math lessons. 😉
    I don't consider it bragging as much as a condemnation of the current systems in use. By way of comparison, both boys began Latin in third grade. Because they're bright, or because they (and most others) are able? I say because little brains are giant sponges.
    I just want all of my children to be happy. That requires more humility than smarts. Hopefully the academic disciplines they receive between now and then will aid in that process.
  12. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    13 Feb '06 04:531 edit
    I don't consider it bragging as much as a condemnation of the current systems in use. By way of comparison, both boys began Latin in third grade. Because they're bright, or because they (and most others) are able? I say because little brains are giant sponges.
    I just want all of my children to be happy. That requires more humility than smarts. Hopefully the academic disciplines they receive between now and then will aid in that process.
    Well, getting off the subject of your kids and your dubious teaching methodologies and back to the subject of BJU, do you now understand why I characterized BJU's math program as behind average and elite colleges and universities?

And your young kids aside, do you think that segregation is necessary or even net benefit to college students' education?
  13. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    15 Feb '06 01:27
    Really? I must be some kind of monster then, as my five kids are being taught to think for themselves even before they reach high school. In my family, pre-algebra begins at third grade; algebra in earnest by fourth.
    That's great. At what age do you begin to teach them about "Jesus"?
  14. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    15 Feb '06 04:06
    Originally posted by David C
    That's great. At what age do you begin to teach them about "Jesus"?
    Today we're going to learn about multiplication kids. Now Jesus had 3 fish and 2 loaves, if, through the power of the LORD GOD, he were to turn each of these into 40 of their kind how many loaves and fishes would he have?
  15. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    15 Feb '06 05:061 edit
    Well, getting off the subject of your kids and your dubious teaching methodologies and back to the subject of BJU, do you now understand why I characterized BJU's math program as behind average and elite colleges and universities?

And your young kids aside, do you think that segregation is necessary or even net benefit to college students' education?
    I won't opine one way or another, as your question attacks from the wrong angle. You see gender segregation, while those schools so oriented see lack of distraction, freedom of thought/exercise without threat of ridicule, cohesive teaching applications and etc.
    Some cluck their tongues at the supposed lack of modern sophistication, while others within the systems are relieved to be able to focus their attentions to the tasks at hand. To a person, every adult (and they are very few) who studied in a similar environment as we've been discussing, was absolutely thrilled to have had the experience.
    EDIT: "To a person, every adult (and they are very few) that I personally know, who..."
    As you are not privvy to my teaching methods, your description is unwarranted.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree