Why?

Why?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
06 Oct 13

Originally posted by SwissGambit
Yes, but it feeds a persecution complex nicely.
The persecution complex is an essential cognitive trap for any cult like organisation as it protects the membership from rational thought and supports the premise of being the "chosen persecuted ones". It's a sort of bullet proof shield against any reasoned attack. We've seen it here many times where the JWs paint themselves into a theological or moral corner and then start bleating about being persecuted followed by the "dust shaking off the sandals" huff and the subsequent forum fast and wound licking.

Moves
07 Oct 13

Originally posted by lemon lime
In this context it means a period of time after He stopped creating things. For that period of time He looked over his creation and saw that it was good. It's intended to serve as a template for us. He expects us to work for a period of time, and then rest for a period of time.

If you think of the important role fathers play in families it's easier to ...[text shortened]... and He is not male or female. Anyone (atheists included) should be able to figure that much out.
In any bible I've seen the reference concerning the "resting" on the seventh day refers to He, His which I think makes it seem that God is a "he" (male). Which for me is a moot point anyway.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
07 Oct 13

Originally posted by wolfgang59
He (divegeester) just happens to be a sensible theist.

So the loonies don't like him.
Theist, not likely. Sensible, hardly. If you agree with the underlying logic of his looney tune attack then it's obvious he is only doing what you approve of, plain and simple. You're not kidding anyone, and please stop to collect your brains before you leave the spirituality forum... you might find a use for them one of these days.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
07 Oct 13

Theist, not likely. Sensible, hardly. If you agree with the underlying logic of his looney tune attack then it's obvious he is only doing what you approve of, plain and simple. You're not kidding anyone, and please stop to collect your brains before you leave the spirituality forum... you might find a use for them one of these days.
I cannot recall be on the same side of an argument as divegeester!

And what do you mean by 'kidding'?

Whom and how?

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
07 Oct 13
1 edit

Originally posted by Great Big Stees
In any bible I've seen the reference concerning the "resting" on the seventh day refers to He, His which I think makes it seem that God is a "he" (male). Which for me is a moot point anyway.
God is referred to as He and as the Father all throughout the Bible. God is not male or female (gender) and he not a man or women (human), but there is a reason why God is referred to as "He" or as the "Father". The terms are not meant to describe gender, they are meant to describe function. If this is a moot point for you then it's probably because you don't take it seriously, and you don't take it seriously because you don't believe it. Am I wrong?

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
07 Oct 13

...and please stop to collect your brains before you leave the spirituality forum...
He was just trying to make it fair. 😕

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
07 Oct 13

God is referred to as He and as the Father all throughout the Bible. God is not male or female (gender) and he not a man or women (human), but there is a reason why God is referred to as "He" or as the "Father". The terms are not meant to describe gender, they are meant to describe function. If this is a moot point for you then ...[text shortened]... n't take it seriously, and you don't take it seriously because you don't believe it. Am I wrong?
He and she always refers to gender.

The Instructor

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
07 Oct 13
1 edit

Originally posted by SwissGambit
He was just trying to make it fair. 😕
It's not just him. Most atheists and phony baloney theists I've talked to do the same. They are able to discuss topics intelligently and rationally, but when it comes to any discussion of God they toss their brains out the window... and you say to make it fair? Now I'm starting to feel guilty. Is it unfair of me to take advantage of this self induced lack of brainpower on the part of atheists and phony baloney theists?

Moves
07 Oct 13

God is referred to as He and as the Father all throughout the Bible. God is not male or female (gender) and he not a man or women (human), but there is a reason why God is referred to as "He" or as the "Father". The terms are not meant to describe gender, they are meant to describe function. If this is a moot point for you then ...[text shortened]... n't take it seriously, and you don't take it seriously because you don't believe it. Am I wrong?
But this means the Biblical text is within context: the context of functions associated with gender. Does this amount to an endorsement of the function "Father" as you put it, to the gender? It seems to have been taken this way. What is the function of the male that it is the function of God?

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
07 Oct 13
1 edit

Originally posted by RJHinds
He and she always refers to gender.

The Instructor
Yes, the words 'he' and 'she' always refers to gender.

But God (the Father) is not a man, and He is never referred to as being male. God is spirit, and in the spiritual realm there is no gender. We use the terms "He" and "Father" because they come the closest to identifying God. He made man in his image, but only in the spiritual sense. Man was supposed to be in charge of this world, just like God is in charge of everything. The words "...in His image" do not refer to a literal physical image.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
07 Oct 13
1 edit

Originally posted by JS357
But this means the Biblical text is within context: the context of functions associated with gender. Does this amount to an endorsement of the function "Father" as you put it, to the gender? It seems to have been taken this way. What is the function of the male that it is the function of God?
Look at my post to RJ, it's just beneath yours. I feel silly saying this to people who already know this (or should know this) but men and women are different. They also think differently. Did you know there are more neural connections between the brains two hemispheres in women than there are in men? If you think of them as phone lines, there is more communication between the two hemispheres in women than there are in men. There are both strengths and weaknesses because of this difference in men and women. Men are better able to concentrate using one side of the brain without being distracted by the other side, but women do a better job of correlating all the information being processed by both sides of the brain. Women often notice things men overlook, but they can also become overwhelmed by an overabundance of information. Men are less likely to become overwhelmed because they naturally compartmentalize their thoughts and are able to work on one problem at a time.

Men also have what is called the "nothing box", the part of the brain where they can go and not think about anything. A woman might ask a man "what are you thinking", and he might say "nothing". You'd be surprised how many women will assume he is lying, because women never seem to stop thinking... the phone lines are always open.

But you specifically asked "what is the function of the male that is the function of God?" In a two parent household males are typically the head of the family whereas women are head of the household. They are both in charge of different aspects of their marriage because of their particular physical and psychological differences. In functional marriages (marriages that work) the two actually act as one, so in a very real (or practical) sense the two will become one. A man and a women together are what we call man... or mankind. This duality is a reflection of Gods nature, because he isn't just God the Father... he is also God the Son and God the Holy Spirit.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
07 Oct 13

Yes, the words 'he' and 'she' always refers to gender.

But God (the Father) is not a man, and He is never referred to as being male. God is spirit, and in the spiritual realm there is no gender. We use the terms "He" and "Father" because they come the closest to identifying God. He made man in his image, but only in the spiritual sense. M ...[text shortened]... of everything. However, the words in His image does not literally mean a physical image.
So what's the problem? Jesus was made male not female. He refers to God as His Father. That should settle it.

The Instructor

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
07 Oct 13

Originally posted by RJHinds
So what's the problem? Jesus was made male not female. He refers to God as His Father. That should settle it.

The Instructor
Right. Jesus became a man, and a man's gender is male. But I think you're missing my point... what "gender" was Jesus before he became a man?

I'm sensing a denominational disturbance in the force

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
07 Oct 13

It's not just him. Most atheists and phony baloney theists I've talked to do the same. They are able to discuss topics intelligently and rationally, but when it comes to any discussion of God they toss their brains out the window... and you say to make it fair? Now I'm starting to feel guilty. Is it unfair of me to take advantage of this self induced lack of brainpower on the part of atheists and phony baloney theists?
"They are able to discuss topics intelligently and rationally, but when it
comes to any discussion of God they toss their brains out the window..."

Sad commentary, if true (and it may be true in some quarters).

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
07 Oct 13
1 edit

I am a theist.

There is nothing "loony tunes" about plagiarism or my calling out of Galveston75 about it; plagiarism occurs here from time to time and quite frequently by Galveston75 who has been called out on it several times before by other posters .