Why Should I be a Christian?

Why Should I be a Christian?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
11 Jan 17

Originally posted by OdBod
Doesn't mater if the book is true or false, if we can progress towards a more humane society that must suit a god if it exists.Seems like a win win situation.
If the Bible is true (which I believe) than there is a beginning and prophecy to tell us how this is all going to end. It also shows us what is and isn't important according to God. Our ignorance about how its going to end and why leave us wandering around in the dark needlessly.

E

Moves
11 Jan 17
1 edit

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
Pity sir I can't reciprocate.
That's what makes me an American and you a European.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
11 Jan 17

Originally posted by Eladar
That's what makes me an American and you a European.
I'm not European sir.

I'm British.

😏

O

Moves
11 Jan 17

Originally posted by KellyJay
If the Bible is true (which I believe) than there is a beginning and prophecy to tell us how this is all going to end. It also shows us what is and isn't important according to God. Our ignorance about how its going to end and why leave us wandering around in the dark needlessly.
Just a hypothetical question.Would you give up your religion in exchange for a caring supportive society where we try to look after each other?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
11 Jan 17

Just a hypothetical question.Would you give up your religion in exchange for a caring supportive society where we try to look after each other?
If it was global and exactly as you say without catches or caveats, then yes I would.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
11 Jan 17

I assume I live in one of those societies now. My faith says that within us is a broken nature that causes us to sin. That nature brings out the worst in us. So we more times than not are acting on our selfish ways which could cause us to just act on our own self interest, or completely evil, or some level between.

Christ can change all of that by giving up His life for us.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
11 Jan 17

I assume I live in one of those societies now. My faith says that within us is a broken nature that causes us to sin. That nature brings out the worst in us. So we more times than not are acting on our selfish ways which could cause us to just act on our own self interest, or completely evil, or some level between.

Christ can change all of that by giving up His life for us.
Is that a yes or a no?

E

Moves
12 Jan 17

What are you concerned with, the temporary here and no or the eternal?

That goes for everyone.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
12 Jan 17
1 edit

Originally posted by Eladar
What are you concerned with, the temporary here and no or the eternal?

That goes for everyone.
A good question that touches the point I have been making. If you or anyone wants to be a godless Christian who cares why anyone wants that! If Jesus isn't central than personal wants, desires, lusts, and so on drives the reason anyone takes the name Christian upon oneself, not Jesus.

Jesus Christ took our sins upon Himself so we could be forgiven in Christ. If Jesus isn't our Lord because He deserves to be than why call oneself Christian other than some selfish reason. It should be what Jesus deserve and desires not what we get out of it!

T

Moves
12 Jan 17
3 edits

A good question that touches the point I have been making. If you or anyone wants to be a godless Christian who cares why anyone wants that! If Jesus isn't central than personal wants, desires, lusts, and so on drives the reason anyone takes the name Christian upon oneself, not Jesus.

Jesus Christ took our sins upon Himself so we could be forgiven in Chr ...[text shortened]... than some selfish reason. It should be what Jesus deserve and desires not what we get out of it!
Jesus Christ took our sins upon Himself so we could be forgiven in Christ. If Jesus isn't our Lord because He deserves to be than why call oneself Christian other than some selfish reason. It should be what Jesus deserve and desires not what we get out of it!

The belief that "Jesus Christ took our sins upon Himself so we could be forgiven in Christ" IS a selfish reason for "call[ing] oneself Christian".

The belief that "My faith says that within us is a broken nature that causes us to sin" IS also a selfish reason for "call[ing] oneself Christian".

They are both what you "get out of it".
For the first you "get" to have the belief that your sins are forgiven.
For the second you "get" to have the belief that your sin is not your fault.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
12 Jan 17

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
[b]Jesus Christ took our sins upon Himself so we could be forgiven in Christ. If Jesus isn't our Lord because He deserves to be than why call oneself Christian other than some selfish reason. It should be what Jesus deserve and desires not what we get out of it!

The belief that "Jesus Christ took our sins upon Himself so we could be forgiven in Chr ...[text shortened]... ins are forgiven.
For the second you "get" to have the belief that your sin is not your fault.[/b]
What do you think should be the real reason for calling oneself a Christian?

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
12 Jan 17

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
I'd imagine it was someone who followed the teachings of Christ. (Not as a means to dodge or excuse sin).

T

Moves
12 Jan 17
4 edits

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
The point of my post was to point out that KJ both claimed that it shouldn't be for selfish reasons and had cited a selfish reason in that very post and another selfish reason earlier.

I took "[reason for] calling oneself a Christian" as a way of saying "reason for being a Christian". The label itself doesn't matter.

If you're asking for reasons for being a "Christian" that isn't selfish, it would be to humbly follow the teachings of Jesus without expecting, asking, wanting or even caring about getting anything in return.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
12 Jan 17

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
I'd imagine it was someone who followed the teachings of Christ. (Not as a means to dodge or excuse sin).
I agree, the point should be what would Jesus get out of it. Our righteousness isn't a matter
of our own efforts but His efforts, our desires to serve Him should be because He is very
worthy. He has to be our sure foundation or we risk putting ourselves and our desires
above Him.

T

Moves
12 Jan 17
1 edit

I agree, the point should be what would Jesus get out of it. Our righteousness isn't a matter
of our own efforts but His efforts, our desires to serve Him should be because He is very
worthy. He has to be our sure foundation or we risk putting ourselves and our desires
above Him.
What exactly makes Jesus "very worthy" in your eyes?

Isn't it because you believe that "Jesus Christ took our sins upon Himself so we could be forgiven in Christ" as you stated earlier?

If so, then your reason is selfish.