Why religion is dumb - reason 5 (war!)

Why religion is dumb - reason 5 (war!)

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
19 Oct 05

Originally posted by howardgee
"My mind is made up, don't confuse me with the facts."

You describe your own situation perfectly.

You cannot defend your claim that WW1 and WW2 were not caused by religion.

Crawl back under your rock....and take your bible with you.
Since this has degenerated into ad hominems, (I'll admit partial guilt), you can tuck whats left of this post where the sun don't shine.

😀😲

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
19 Oct 05

You cannot defend your claim that WW1 and WW2 were not caused by religion.
Come now HG, I'm waiting expectantly for your conspiracy theory on how the Nazis secretly worship Hirohito.

l

London

Moves
19 Oct 05

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Do you sincerely believe that the wars I mentioned did not occur? Or, do you claim that the Israelites did not conquer Canaan?
I don't know either way. If I had to guess, I'd say there were a few skirmishes that got exaggerated over time.

h

Cosmos

Moves
19 Oct 05

Originally posted by Halitose
[b]You cannot defend your claim that WW1 and WW2 were not caused by religion.

If this was so, then the Allied and Axis alliances of these two wars would have been aligned because of religious persuations, not ideological and economic reasons.[/b]
Again you fail to see the difference between being a cause and being the only cause.

Of course religion was a cause of WW1 and WW2, but it was not the only cause.

Do you understand the concept of an INUS cause?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
19 Oct 05

Why let the atheists like HG demand for absolute proof and then when the shoe is on the other foot, the religious have to concede discussions based only on belief... If they want to debate then they have to be consistant.
LH was talking to me, not HG...I'm not an atheist...but I take your point.

Would you accept that the Arabic wars of conquest were religiously inspired?

Then there are the Cathar wars, which certainly took place. Would you contend that they were not caused by religion?

h

Cosmos

Moves
19 Oct 05

Originally posted by RatX
You've put yourself on a pedestal for tomato-pelting, now you're desperately trying to defend yourself with pathetic insults?

Lame, very lame...
Not as lame as "HowardGeewiz"

l

London

Moves
19 Oct 05

Again you fail to see the difference between being a cause and being the only cause.

Do you deny that the main causes of WWI and WWII were socio-political and economical?

If not, then by the logic you've used in this thread, Society, Politics and Economics are dumb because they cause wars.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
19 Oct 05

Come now HG, I'm waiting expectantly for your conspiracy theory on how the Nazis secretly worship Hirohito.
The Nazis did have an interesting religious view of things. Think of Adolph & his penchant for the Norse gods. And read up on how Goebbels (a non-believer) used these romantic beliefs to manipulate his more credulous Nazi colleagues.

h

Cosmos

Moves
19 Oct 05
1 edit

I will, if you deny they were anti-semitic!

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
19 Oct 05

Originally posted by lucifershammer
I don't know either way. If I had to guess, I'd say there were a few skirmishes that got exaggerated over time.
I see.

R

Hamelin: RAT-free

Moves
19 Oct 05

I will, if you deny they were anti-semitic!
Their anti-semitism was based on an "apparently warped" view of evolution, which they based on the science of the day, asserting that Jews were not as evolved as they were, but were almost ape.

Are you by any chance saying that all anti-semitism is based on religion? What an assumption...

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
19 Oct 05

Lets start with WWI, work your way through the link provided. I find no reason to believe that there was any religious reason in this war, your previous Muslim-Christian line seems a gross assumption that you will need to substantiate...

http://www.firstworldwar.com/origins/causes.htm

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
19 Oct 05

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
The Nazis did have an interesting religious view of things. Think of Adolph & his penchant for the Norse gods. And read up on how Goebbels (a non-believer) used these romantic beliefs to manipulate his more credulous Nazi colleagues.
Would WWII not have been, had he got converted to strong atheism?

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
19 Oct 05

Originally posted by lucifershammer
Do you deny that the main causes of WWI and WWII were socio-political and economical?

If not, then by the logic you've used in this thread, Society, Politics and Economics are dumb because they cause wars.
I think this is the final nail, unless HG recants his logic and pursues a more delicate line of reasoning. Maybe distinguishing between religions etc.

h

Cosmos

Moves
19 Oct 05

Originally posted by RatX
Their anti-semitism was based on an "apparently warped" view of evolution, which they based on the science of the day, asserting that Jews were not as evolved as they were, but were almost ape.

Are you by any chance saying that all anti-semitism is based on religion? What an assumption...
Just hilarious!!

If I had not realised from your many posts, how idiotic you are, then I would have assumed this was sarcasm.

"Are you by any chance saying that all anti-semitism is based on religion? What an assumption..."
What else do you think anti semitism is based on? You PRat.