Why does Jesus piss people off?

Why does Jesus piss people off?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
20 Mar 07

Originally posted by epiphinehas
Of course God is real, how could you hate someone that much who isn't real? Have you ever felt that kind of hatred for a chair? Why does Jesus piss so many people off? Because He is real, and He is who He says He is.
Who's hating here? I simply think God isn't real and, as you point out, you can't hate someone that isn't real.

The concept of a fictional or real God however, that is definitely real, and could be hated (but generally isn't - people like me just think its infantile).

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
20 Mar 07

Yeah, pretty much every hard-bitten atheist I know. An atheist, whether they can verbalize it or not, takes it personally the implication in a Christian's faith that the Christian has found the one Truth of life and that they have not. There are many conscious manifestations of the unconscious offense an atheist takes from a Christian's exclusive relat ...[text shortened]... f hatred. I'm saying that that hatred would not happen if Christ weren't first of all real.
You obviously don't know any real life atheists.

Moves
20 Mar 07

Originally posted by UmbrageOfSnow
Since about 7 posts up.
Talk about pseudoscience and superstition.

Do feel free to send me a picture of an non-real chair the next time you see one.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
20 Mar 07

Originally posted by josephw
Atheist will say anything in this forum just to be combative. Not all, but the majority. There is no civil discourse here.
The difference between hatred and not tolerating idiots is quite subtle - I wouldn't expect you to get it.

Moves
20 Mar 07

Originally posted by scottishinnz
Who's hating here? I simply think God isn't real and, as you point out, you can't hate someone that isn't real.

The concept of a fictional or real God however, that is definitely real, and could be hated (but generally isn't - people like me just think its infantile).
That is obviously just your fallible interpretation of reality.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
20 Mar 07

Originally posted by dj2becker
Then it was not a chair that killed them, but the force of gravity.
Ah, so we should hate gravity then?

Or perhaps intelligent falling.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
20 Mar 07

That is obviously just your fallible interpretation of reality.
And religion yours.

W

Moves
20 Mar 07
1 edit

Originally posted by josephw
Did you reply to the wrong post?

I didn't say anything about atheists hateing anyone, nor would I.
you said...
Atheist will say anything in this forum just to be combative. Not all, but the majority. There is no civil discourse here.

To which I explained why I seemed combative.

The rest of the post was more or less for the op.

U
All Bark, No Bite

Playing percussion

Moves
20 Mar 07

Talk about pseudoscience and superstition.

Do feel free to send me a picture of an non-real chair the next time you see one.
Hand -> forehead

E

Moves
20 Mar 07

stupid thread

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
20 Mar 07

Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
stupid thread
Probably the wisest thing so far said.

U
All Bark, No Bite

Playing percussion

Moves
20 Mar 07

Originally posted by scottishinnz
Probably the wisest thing so far said.
Hey, I thought my original reply was pretty good, just got dragged down to stupidity.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
20 Mar 07

Hey, I thought my original reply was pretty good, just got dragged down to stupidity.
Yeah, it was, but in terms of being accurate and concise, well, you've got to hand it to EV.

Illinois

Moves
20 Mar 07

I am an atheist. According to you, I hate my parents, the aunt that took care of me as a child and sends me cookies once a month, my girlfriend, and a few of my friends. I would say this isn't true and you are full of ****. And let's say I did hate all Christians for what they believed. How would this imply that God/Jesus existed. Why can't I be ...[text shortened]... manage to hate Jews without being Jewish themselves don't they???? How do you manage that?
Maybe because you haven't fully considered the implications of the Christian faith.

Do your family and friends know that you think they are delusional? What do they have to say about that? Do they pray for you or witness to you? Do you understand why they believe the bible? Do you understand the bible? Do you understand completely what you claim to deny? If not, how can you claim that believers are stupid people? Is the bible really just a single work? Is it really just mythology? Is it poorly translated, or not? Is it always taken literally, or not? Do all Christians hate Jews? Do Christians have any reason to hate Jews?

I'm suggesting that once a person, atheist or not, truly understands the Christian faith and the Lordship of Jesus Christ, he or she will either embrace Him or reject Him. Those who reject Him resent the idea that they themselves are excluded from his/her rightful relationship with the one Truth of life (Christ). Such an implication, if true, would be too painful to bear; therefore, there must ensue a denial process fueled by a certain self-righteous indignation.

I'm speaking from experience, having once been an atheist.

U
All Bark, No Bite

Playing percussion

Moves
20 Mar 07
2 edits

Maybe because you haven't fully considered the implications of the Christian faith.

Do your family and friends know that you think they are delusional? What do they have to say about that? Do they pray for you or witness to you? Do you understand why they believe the bible? Do you understand the bible? Do you understand completely what you claim ain self-righteous indignation.

I'm speaking from experience, having once been an atheist.
Yes, pretty much everyone I know is well aware of my beliefs (or lack therof), you may have noticed I tend to be rather outspoken about them.

Some of them pray for me I'm told, but that is what they do for those they love. I similairly hope that nothing bad happens to them and do my best to help them out, working within the bounds of what I personally think will actually work or help.

I understand the bible quite well, I was brought up with it and chose to reject it later. In fact, I often frustrate my aunt by having a better understanding of the bible than her and yet not believing it.

I don't claim that all believers are stupid people, some certainly are, but some I have a great deal of respect for, that and the Christians hating Jews thing were merely for the sake of argument. I don't hate all Christians, all Christians don't hate Jews, not all Christians are stupid, and there are even a few stupid people I like. My point was that people can hate a group without sharing the beliefs of said group.

I understand your religion, but I do not embrace Jesus as I do not believe he was anything more than a Roman Ghandi. I have no resentment towards Christians. I have no resentment towards Jesus, God, Sasquatch, Nessie, or the Tooth Fairy.

If I resented not being a Christian, I would be one. It isn't exactly an exlusive club.

I'm only self-righteous when people put words in my mouth or when I'm in a argumentative mood.