Why Did Jesus Say He was the Temple?

Why Did Jesus Say He was the Temple?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
18 Mar 18
5 edits

Originally posted by @rajk999
'Destroyed'

Check out the meaning instead of making a fool of yourself.
"Do you not know that you are the temple of God, and the Spirit of God dwells in you." (1 Cor. 3:17)

So Rajk999 believes that of those who are the temple of God and the Holy Spirit dwells in them (1 Cor. 3:17), will undergo destruction as in eternal perdition or annihilation.

Rajk999 says "God will destroy him" here has to mean either the annhilation into non-existence of the total person or something worse.

Applying the same logic then those believers destroy into non-existence the temple of God.

"If anyone destroys the temple of God, God will destroy him, for the temple of God is holy, and such are you." (v.17)

That can't be.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
18 Mar 18
4 edits

So applying Rajk999's logic TWO matters pass into non-existence of being destroyed:
1.) God's temple
2.) The ones who destroyed God's temple.

God's temple gets destroyed so those who destroyed it get destroyed, in both cases annhilation into non-existence.

What it actually means is the temple of God is HOLY and those who attempt to introduce the UNHOLY into the temple will suffer loss. They mar the temple with the old man. They defile the temple with the old self.

They as the temple of God remain. Their unholy living will be dealt with. During the millennial kingdom age all the unholy living that they never were sanctified out of, will be disciplined away in a destruction.

But they themselves are saved, yet so as through fire.

"If anyone's work is consumed, he will suffer loss, but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire." (v.15)

Anyone who wants to follow Rajk999's teaching may easily do so by;

1.) Inserting the words NOT BE before "saved".
2.) Eliminating the last 15 words of the verse.

Rajk999's version of 1 Cor. 3:15:

Ie.
If anyone's work is consumed, he will [not be saved].

I encourage readers to take it as it is written:
"If anyone's work is consumed, he will suffer loss, but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire." (1 Cor.
3:15)

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
18 Mar 18

Originally posted by @sonship
[b] "Do you not know that you are the temple of God, and the Spirit of God dwells in you." (1 Cor. 3:17)

So Rajk999 believes that of those who are the temple of God and the Holy Spirit dwells in them (1 Cor. 3:17), will undergo destruction as in eternal perdition or annihilation.

Rajk999 says "God will destroy him"[/b ...[text shortened]... for the temple of God is holy, and such are you." (v.17) [/quote]

That can't be.[/b]
No you dunce. Pauls likens the Christians saints as Gods Temple.
Saints are like Gods temple.
If they defile themselves [Gods Temple[, then God will destroy THEM.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
19 Mar 18
5 edits

No you dunce. Pauls likens the Christians saints as Gods Temple.
Saints are like Gods temple.
If they defile themselves [Gods Temple[, then God will destroy THEM.
You are still ignorant.

Paul doesn't say that the believers are LIKE the temple of God. He says they ARE the temple of God.

"Do you not know that you are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?" (1 Cor. 3:16)

He is speaking about the church in Corinth.

" ... for the temple of God is holy, and such are you." (v.17)

Between the two verses, 16,17 he covers both the local expression of the church and the universal church. Collectively, they are the temple of God.

In First Corinthians 6:19 Paul's emphasis is more on each individual Christian's body as "a temple of the Holy Spirit".

"Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own?

For you have been bought with a price. So then glorify God in your body." ( 1 Cor. 6:19,20)

Paul was well balanced in his teaching.
You are myopic, blind and ignorant.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
19 Mar 18
1 edit

You are still ignorant.
Ignorance is ignoring Paul when he says :If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy .. (1 Corinthians 3:17 KJV) You are preaching lies. Fooling the gullible into believing that they can defile Gods temple and still get eternal life in the kingdom of God.

Gross ignorance is ignoring ALL the times Paul said these things. There must be at least a dozen Paul says these things clearly and you twist and manipulate the word of God to fit some false doctrine.

You are a deceitful liar and a religious crook.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
19 Mar 18
7 edits

"If anyone destroys the temple of God, God will destroy him." (Recovery Version)

The English word "destroy/s" appears twice in many English translations. Below are some that bring out a difference.

Is anyone DESTROYS the temple of God ...

The Recovery Version in the footnote indicates
Or, ruins, corrupts, defiles, mars .

Rajk999 is not telling me anything I didn't already indicate.

" ... , God will DESTROY him."

phtheiro - Strong's Exhaustive Concordance # 5351 (Greek Dictionary)

to pine
[prob. strength]
to shrivel or wither
i.e. spoil by any process or (gen.) to ruin ... (to deprave) - corrupt (self),
defile, destroy

Other translations of First Cor. 3:17:

Berean Study Bible
If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him; for God's temple is holy, and you are that temple.

Berean Literal Bible
If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him; for God's temple is holy, which you are.

New American Standard Bible
If any man destroys the temple of God, God will destroy him, for the temple of God is holy, and that is what you are.

Christian Standard Bible
If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him; for God's temple is holy, and that is what you are.

Contemporary English Version
Together you are God's holy temple, and God will destroy anyone who destroys his temple.

Good News Translation
God will destroy anyone who destroys God's temple. For God's temple is holy, and you yourselves are his temple.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
If anyone destroys God's sanctuary, God will destroy him; for God's sanctuary is holy, and that is what you are.

Other reputable renderings:
American King James Version
If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple you are.

Douay-Rheims Bible
But if any man violate the temple of God, him shall God destroy. For the temple of God is holy, which you are.

Darby Bible Translation
If any one corrupt the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, and such are ye.

English Revised Version
If any man destroyeth the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

Weymouth New Testament
If any one is marring the Sanctuary of God, him will God mar; for the Sanctuary of God is holy, which you all are.

Webster's Bible Translation
If any man defileth the temple of God, him will God destroy: for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

King James Bible
If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

Young's Literal Translation
if any one the sanctuary of God doth waste, him shall God waste; for the sanctuary of God is holy, the which ye are.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
19 Mar 18

[b] "If anyone destroys the temple of God, God will destroy him." (Recovery Version)

The English word "destroy/s" appears twice in many English translations. Below are some that bring out a difference.

Is anyone DESTROYS the temple of God ...

The Recovery Version in the footnote indicates ...[text shortened]... d doth waste, him shall God waste; for the sanctuary of God is holy, the which ye are.
[/quote][/b]
Liar ... you are saying that these people who defile themselves will still be saved.

The bible says no such thing

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
19 Mar 18
1 edit

The context of First Corinthians 3:17 may be summarized:

The Christians who composed the church in Corinth were immature. They were distracted from Christ mainly by two factors - Judiastic religion and Greek philosophy.

Mostly, in chapter 3 Paul is combating the distraction of Greek philosophy. He calls this the wisdom of the world. The church cannot be built with the finest human philosophy. It will actually mar, defile, and deface the divine organic nature of the church.

This would be like trying to build a physical temple with things which will burn up - "wood, grass, stubble". These inferior elements will be destroyed when Christ comes to examine HOW the Christians have tried to build up His church.

These things represent living and knowledge which is worldly rather than holy. God's holy living temple must be built with the living that comes out of the Triune God working Himself into man's soul - "gold, silver, precious stones" .

What is produced by the Father's divine nature, the Son's redemptive work, and the Holy Spirit's transformation will both
1.) Build up the church
2.) Survive the fire of examination before Christ
3.) Cause the Christian to receive a reward in addition to the gift of eternal life.

The worthy elements must be GROWN in the Christians' life.
God gives the growth.

The local church is God's farm for growing Christ in people.
The growing of Christ in people causes the unholy old life to diminish and the work of the Triune God to produce materials for building the holy temple of the new covenant church.

"For we are God's fellow workers; You are God's cultivated land [or farm] , God's building." (v.9)

Spiritual GROWTH in Jesus Christ produces suitable and lasting "materials" for building God's holy living temple, the church.

Immaturity unrepented of produces inferior "materials" for building God's holy temple. In fact they mar it, defile it, ruin it negatively.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
19 Mar 18
1 edit

Liar ... you are saying that these people who defile themselves will still be saved.

The bible says no such thing
I am giving you the various meanings of the Greek word.

The phrase -
"If anyone destroys the temple of God ..."
in context refers to the "well intentioned" yet wrong headed attempt to build the Lord's church with inferior things issuing out of the unsanctified and immature believer.

Though he may have received the gift of eternal life, he is in danger of being saved yet so as through fire, losing some reward.

This is discipline from Christ for his defiling, destroying, marring the holy temple - the church.

At the end of the passages under discussion the emphasis on the unreliablility of human wisdom (ie. Greek philsophy) is again mentioned.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
19 Mar 18
2 edits

"Let no one deceive himself, if anyone thinks that he is wise among you in this age, let him become foolish that he may become wise. " (v.18)

In context, to become foolish here would be to allow Christ to grow in you.

ie. "If you would be wise in the Christian church, you better allow Jesus Christ to grow in you more and more. Seek for Christ to grow in your personality."

Depending on Judiastic religion or proud Greek philosophical wisdom is trusting the foolishness of the world. And it may cause you to be disciplined at the second coming of Christ.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
19 Mar 18

[b] "Let no one deceive himself, if anyone thinks that he is wise among you in this age, let him become foolish that he may become wise. (v.18)

In context, to become foolish here would be to allow Christ to grow in you.

ie. "If you would be wise in the Christian church, you better allow Jesus Christ to grow in you more and mor ...[text shortened]... foolishness of the world. And it may cause you to be disciplined at the second coming of Christ.[/b]
Yeah right

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
19 Mar 18
5 edits

In the eyes of the world to receive Christ and to bring more of one's life under the influence of Christ is foolish.

Paul rather warns that this is wisdom.
The paradox is that what is exalted among men is an abomination to God.

His living temple requires Christ in men, Christ to grow in people, and Christ to be the element building up the church.

If you are just accumulating human philosophy, to God you are foolish. If you are growing spiritually in Christ, letting Him have more and more space in your heart, that is wise.

"Let no one deceive himself; if anyone thinks that he is wise among you in this age, let him become foolish that he may become wise.

For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God; ..." (3:18,19a)

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
19 Mar 18

He previously spoke to this is chapter one:

"For indeed Jews require signs and Greeks seek wisdom.

But we preach Christ crucified, to the Jews a stumbling block, and to Gentiles foolishness.

But to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.

Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men. " (1 Cor. 1:22-25)

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
19 Mar 18
1 edit

Now here a connection between "We preach Christ crucified" and "Whoever destroys the holy temple of God him will God destroy."

This is the connection. As Jesus Christ allowed Himself to be crucified His disciples also should allow the Holy Spirit to terminate their old way of living.

Christ took up His cross. This is the power and wisdom of God. The followers of Christ must learn to live by Christ and take up the cross to their OTHER WAY, the OLD WAY of living.

In the age of grace we have the unspeakable privilege of allowing the Holy Spirit to crucify the old way of living in us. We have the honor to take up our cross and let Jesus terminate our old way of living.

If we procrastinate we will not save forever those ways of living. They will be destroyed.

To the saved Christian:

To voluntarily allow the cross to cross out the old living will build His church and merit a reward.

To put such dealings off, procrastinate, cling to the old way of life, not deny ourselves to enjoy Jesus instead, not deal with the old man, old flesh, old self, old mind, emotion, will, and not allow Jesus to take over the heart is a temporary state. When Jesus comes the living will be destoyed though you will be saved "yet so as through fire.".

This destruction is recompense for you and I having defiled the Christian testimony - the church.

"If anyone destroys the temple of God, God will destroy him; for the temple of God is holy, and such are you." (3:17)

A prayer for this:

"Lord Jesus, I love You. I thank You that you have saved me. Lord my inner being is holy. Cause this holiness to spread into my soul Lord. Let Your cross terminate the old unholy living I lived before I knew You. And Lord let me now have my daily amount of crossing out.

Give Lord each day, that amount of transformation that I need for Your holy temple. Thankyou Lord Jesus. I love You. Thankyou for Your love for me. You will do it Lord. You have begun a good work and will complete it. Amen."

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
19 Mar 18

Jesus Christ will not terminate your old way of living in one day suddenly and drastically.

But bit by bit you will be given opportunities to say "Yes" to the Holy Spirit and "No" to the fallen flesh.

Little by little and bit by bit daily He leads the Christian along and GROWS in her or him.

Small groups of two or three are excellent little plots of cultivated land to allow Christ to grow in you.

"Again, truly I say to you that if two of you are in harmony on earth concerning any matter for which they ask, it will be done for them from My Father who is in the heavens.

for where there are two or three gathered into My name, there am I in their midst." (Matt. 18:19,20)

The Christian who wants to grow should seek companions (two or three at least) to pursue Christ with her. Gather into His name. The focus now is not other stuff. It is pursuing Jesus Christ.

Much growth can take place in this kind of little environment.

I wrote a thread way back on "Don't Be Too Hard on Yourself". The intent of that thread was to encourage Christians to have a companion or two or three or more. To request the growth of Jesus in you as a small vital group.

The principle STILL holds - that you are God's cultivated land, God's building.