Why can't an atheist get elected president?

Why can't an atheist get elected president?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
10 Nov 11

Originally posted by Metal Brain
Why would they distrust atheists even more than other theists? Atheists are neutral. Do they believe atheists are doing the work of the devil? What exactly is the root of it?
Atheism isn't a neutral position between differing theistic positions.
Atheism is the rejection of all theistic positions.

It's possible that they see atheism as more of a threat to them?
But otherwise you are right there is no rational to it, but since when are religions rational?

MB

Moves
11 Nov 11

Originally posted by googlefudge
This statement is evidently not true.

First, you don't have to be a theist to discuss theism.

Second, this forum has many atheists on it who discuss many theistic issues.

Third, many issues get claimed as 'religious issues' but which effect everyone religious or not.
(abortion springs to mind here)

Fourth, in the context of a politician runn ...[text shortened]... justification to be taken seriously. Yet you make it with no justification or proof at all.
Although it is true that you don't have to be a theist to discuss theism, atheists generally don't bring it up unless they feel discriminated against by religious people or are trying to understand something. I don't think atheists want to bring religion into politics like theists often do.

MB

Moves
11 Nov 11

Originally posted by googlefudge
Atheism isn't a neutral position between differing theistic positions.
Atheism is the rejection of all theistic positions.

It's possible that they see atheism as more of a threat to them?
But otherwise you are right there is no rational to it, but since when are religions rational?
What I meant by neutral is that if 2 religions believed in 2 different gods the atheist would not be taking sides.
The atheist's position is already known and you wont have the problem of somebody thinking that they are being directed by god to make political decisions and crazy stuff like that.

Michelle Bachman has made statements like that and you would think people would prefer an atheist over her extreme religious fanaticism. To an atheist she seems borderline mentally ill. Are the religious right so irrational that they think that is normal?

Maryland

Moves
12 Nov 11

Originally posted by Metal Brain
What I meant by neutral is that if 2 religions believed in 2 different gods the atheist would not be taking sides.
The atheist's position is already known and you wont have the problem of somebody thinking that they are being directed by god to make political decisions and crazy stuff like that.

Michelle Bachman has made statements like that and yo ...[text shortened]... borderline mentally ill. Are the religious right so irrational that they think that is normal?
Yes!