Who the hell were the Nephilim?

Who the hell were the Nephilim?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
22 Dec 05

Originally posted by David C
I would tend to the converse: The Greek, Egyptian, Sumerian, and Mesoamerican 'pantheon' of gods could have been the basis for the Biblical accounts of 'godmen' who walked among us in our previous iteration of civilisation (you know, the one wiped out by the flood). If you're asking for a reasonable explanation of their origins, there aren't man ...[text shortened]... you're willing to consider Zechariah Sitchin as reasonable, and Plato's Atlantis as plausible.
That might be agreeable, if the Bible gave it more press, or at least a proportionate amount of press to that of Moses' contemporary cultures.

That mythology was prominent enough to inform and guide whole societies, and yet springs full bloom immediately following the antediluvian era. Curious.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
22 Dec 05

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
That mythology was prominent enough to inform and guide whole societies, and yet springs full bloom immediately following the antediluvian era. Curious.
That's according to the Bible. Why give press to the enemy? Bad policy. The Sumerians had their own ante-diluvian accounts replete with mythology. They don't mention Yahweh--does that mean he didn't yet exist?

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
22 Dec 05

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
That's according to the Bible. Why give press to the enemy? Bad policy. The Sumerians had their own ante-diluvian accounts replete with mythology. They don't mention Yahweh--does that mean he didn't yet exist?
One wouldn't expect any mention at all regarding anything monotheistic from those societies, as even by the time of Moses, the Jews were just being born, as it were, as a nation.

I was going more toward the fact that there is no beginning offered anywhere, save the Bible.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
22 Dec 05

I was going more toward the fact that there is no beginning offered anywhere, save the Bible.
No beginning? What do you mean? Plenty of alternative creation stories out there.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
22 Dec 05

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
No beginning? What do you mean? Plenty of alternative creation stories out there.
For the mythologies? Perhaps I'm fogged by lack of sleep, but I can't think of any that explained their origins, at that early of a date.
Help me out.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
22 Dec 05

For the mythologies? Perhaps I'm fogged by lack of sleep, but I can't think of any that explained their origins, at that early of a date.
Help me out.
Only fragments of the Sumerian creation story survive, but they're enough to show that the Sumerians did indeed have their own account of creation:

http://www.geocities.com/garyweb65/creation1.html
http://faculty.gvsu.edu/websterm/SumerianMyth.htm

s

Et in Arcadia ego...

Moves
22 Dec 05

Originally posted by Halitose
Not at all. It was comprehensive enough to discourage rebuttal.
Excellent *pyramids fingers*. Job done, then. Tone considerably lowered. Result!

s

Et in Arcadia ego...

Moves
22 Dec 05

We're steeped in innuendo, thank you very much.
Oooh errr, missus! Is that what she said? oooh, pardon!

No Name Maddox

County Doledrum

Moves
22 Dec 05
1 edit

They were like the Harlem Globetrotters, only tetchier.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
22 Dec 05

Originally posted by aspviper666
last time i hire RBHills typist
Typist? I thought you said he channeled. Maybe that was someone else.

a

Forgotten

Moves
23 Dec 05

Typist? I thought you said he channeled. Maybe that was someone else.
i though the channelling comment he has made ment something else
boy is my face red

K
Strawman

Not Kansas

Moves
23 Dec 05

I'm telling ya boys, all the fairy tales about "the little people' "mighty men of old" and so forth come from the time your ancestors cohabited the planet with the likes of Neanderthals.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.