1. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    11 Oct '19 21:321 edit
    @sonship said
    @ThinkOfOne

[quote] 1 John 3:4 -9:
    4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
    5 And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.
    6 Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.
    7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth right ...[text shortened]... ans varied levels of depth of awareness of the need for confession and forsaking old ways of living.
    1 John 3:4-9 is very explicit about who is of the devil, who is born of God, who abides in Christ, who has seen Christ, who knows Christ, etc.
    "He that committeth sin is of the devil"
    "Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin;"
    "Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not"
    "whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him"

You can talk about "levels" all you like, however in 1 John 3:4-9 the primary qualifiers are "Whosoever" and "He that". That would include EVERYONE. If the author were discussing only those on a particular "level", he would have qualified it as such.
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    11 Oct '19 23:36
    @thinkofone said
    1 John 3:4-9 is very explicit about who is of the devil, who is born of God, who abides in Christ, who has seen Christ, who knows Christ, etc.

You can talk about "levels" all you like ...[text shortened]... f the author were discussing only those on a particular "level", he would have qualified it as such.
    As I have said to you several times, repeating your point does not prove it.

Same author, same book, in the 1st Chapter proclaims our fellowship is with the Father and with His Son Jesus Christ so that our joy may be complete. In the first Chapter John is building up to the text you repeat without taking anything else into account. We are told if we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us, but if we confess our sins, Jesus is faithful and just to forgive us and clean us from all unrighteousness. If you want to suggest you have no sin, you are calling God a liar, is this what you are saying?

The same book just a little earlier from the only verses you are quoting, we see in the 2nd Chapter John goes on to say that we should not sin, but if we do, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ! Note this Jesus is alive and well with the Father as our propitiation for our sins! The way you are pushing the only text you seem to acknowledge is in conflict with the rest of the book because it says if we sin, meaning there is a possibility it could happen, but not the way you quote your pet text.

So when we get to the 3rd Chapter there is a distinction between those making themselves pure, walking in Christ, abiding and Christ, with God's anointing. The other people it is clear they are living a life that is not in Christ; instead, they are practicing sinning; it is a lifestyle unlike those who belong to Lord.

"Everyone who makes a practice of sinning also practices lawlessness; sin is lawlessness."

Those that are walking with the Lord isn't living a life that keeps on sinning, they are confessing their sins, turning from their sins, they are not living their lives for sin anymore, they are not slaves to sin. They are doing what Jesus said we are to do, pick up our crosses and following Him, laying down our lives for Him. Where you are correct who is abiding in Christ is not living for sin, and in the Spirit, we will not.
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    11 Oct '19 23:45
    @kellyjay said
    As I have said to you several times, repeating your point does not prove it.

Same author, same book, in the 1st Chapter proclaims our fellowship is with the Father and with His Son Jesus Christ so that our joy may be complete. In the first Chapter John is building up to the text you repeat without taking anything else into account. We are told if we say we have no sin, ...[text shortened]... here you are correct who is abiding in Christ is not living for sin, and in the Spirit, we will not.
    See my response to your previous post near the bottom of page 11.
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    12 Oct '19 00:23
    @thinkofone said
    See my response to your previous post near the bottom of page 11.
    Been there done that.
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    12 Oct '19 00:362 edits
    @kellyjay said
    Been there done that.
    More like, "Been there, ignored that". Just like you do with passages of the Bible that are contrary to your beliefs.

Since you ignored it the first time:
    The point is that 1 John 3:4-9 says what it says. Thus far you haven't presented a reasonable way to reconcile it with your beliefs.

The fact is that 1 John 3:4-9 flies in the face of what you wrote.

Thus far, all you've basically done is reiterate the dogma that you've been taught and given that as a reason to ignore what 1 John 3:4-9 explicitly states. So what? Is that all you have?

You just cherry pick what supports your dogma and dismiss what doesn't. You claim that you don't, but your handling of 1 John 3:4-9 reveals the truth

The bottom line is that you pick and choose from the Bible along with everyone else. You lack to integrity to acknowledge this fact.
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    12 Oct '19 01:22
    @thinkofone said
    More like, "Been there, ignored that". Just like you do with passages of the Bible that are contrary to your beliefs.

Since you ignored it the first time:
    [quote]The point is that 1 John 3:4-9 says what it says. Thus far you haven't presented a reasonable way to reconcile it with your beliefs.

The fact is that 1 John 3:4-9 flies in the face of what you wrote.

Th ...[text shortened]... s that you pick and choose along with everyone else. You lack to integrity to acknowledge this fact.
    It's not difficult; you repeat yourself merely stating your point, again and again, as if hearing you twice as you say the same thing clears up your error. There are not passages of the Bible that are contrary to my beliefs, that will be true with only just those that only look at a specific text and renounce others.

Here you once again say 1 John 3:4-9 shows my error, and how many times have you repeated this, then even referred me to one of the times you repeated your point once again. I stepped through that chapter's beginning to show you in context how you are missing the point, then I went through the first couple of chapters showing you passages that don't agree with your handling of the text as well. You say over and over I am mishandling that text ad nauseam, if you want to show my error, show me why those scriptures I pointed you two are not in disagreement with the way you are handling the text, that will solidify your position much more than saying your right, and I'm wrong till you are blue in the face.
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    12 Oct '19 02:393 edits
    @kellyjay said
    It's not difficult; you repeat yourself merely stating your point, again and again, as if hearing you twice as you say the same thing clears up your error. There are not passages of the Bible that are contrary to my beliefs, that will be true with only just those that only look at a specific text and renounce others.

Here you once again say 1 John 3:4-9 shows my error, an ...[text shortened]... olidify your position much more than saying your right, and I'm wrong till you are blue in the face.
    if you want to show my error, show me why those scriptures I pointed you two are not in disagreement with the way you are handling the text

How exactly have I been "handling the text"? By quoting the text? By pointing out the difference between "Poieó" and "prassó"? Do you understand the difference between "Poieó" and "prassó"? Of course you just ignored that along with ignoring what the text says in 1 John 3:4-9.
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    12 Oct '19 03:011 edit
    @thinkofone said
    if you want to show my error, show me why those scriptures I pointed you two are not in disagreement with the way you are handling the text

How exactly have I been "handling the text"? By quoting the text? By pointing out the difference between "Poieó" and "prassó"? Do you understand the difference between "Poieó" and "prassó"? Of course you just ignored that along with ignoring what the text says in 1 John 3:4-9.
    So you are not going to do a compare and contrast with the rest of the book; just repeat your bogus interpretation of the text. That is the full measure of your argument, repeat, repeat, and repeat the same charge as if saying over and over is going to change anything it didn't change the first time. I don't ignore that text, I just read in the context of the whole book, you attempt to make it a stand alone statement.
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    12 Oct '19 03:12
    @thinkofone said

New International Version
    The one who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil's work.

New Living Translation
    But when people keep on sinning, it shows that they belong to the devil, who has been sinning since the beginning. But the Son of God came to destroy the works of the devil.

English Standard Version
    Whoever makes a practice of sinning is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the works of the devil.

Berean Study Bible
    The one who practices sin is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the very start. This is why the Son of God was revealed, to destroy the works of the devil.

Berean Literal Bible
    The one practicing sin is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. For this reason the Son of God was revealed, so that He might destroy the works of the devil.

New American Standard Bible
    the one who practices sin is of the devil; for the devil has sinned from the beginning. The Son of God appeared for this purpose, to destroy the works of the devil.

New King James Version
    He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil.

King James Bible
    He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

Christian Standard Bible
    The one who commits sin is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. The Son of God was revealed for this purpose: to destroy the devil's works.

Contemporary English Version
    Anyone who keeps on sinning belongs to the devil. He has sinned from the beginning, but the Son of God came to destroy all that he has done.

Good News Translation
    Whoever continues to sin belongs to the Devil, because the Devil has sinned from the very beginning. The Son of God appeared for this very reason, to destroy what the Devil had done.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
    The one who commits sin is of the Devil, for the Devil has sinned from the beginning. The Son of God was revealed for this purpose: to destroy the Devil's works.

International Standard Version
    The person who practices sin belongs to the evil one, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason that the Son of God was revealed was to destroy what the devil has been doing.

NET Bible
    The one who practices sin is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was revealed: to destroy the works of the devil.

New Heart English Bible
    He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. To this end the Son of God was revealed, to destroy the works of the devil.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
    He who commits sin is from Satan, because Satan is a sinner from the beginning. The Son of God appeared for this reason: To destroy the works of Satan.

GOD'S WORD® Translation
    The person who lives a sinful life belongs to the devil, because the devil has been committing sin since the beginning. The reason that the Son of God appeared was to destroy what the devil does.

New American Standard 1977
    the one who practices sin is of the devil; for the devil has sinned from the beginning. The Son of God appeared for this purpose, that He might destroy the works of the devil.

Jubilee Bible 2000
    He that commits sin is of the devil; for the devil sins from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God appeared, that he might undo the works of the devil.

King James 2000 Bible
    He that commits sin is of the devil; for the devil sins from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

American King James Version
    He that commits sin is of the devil; for the devil sins from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

American Standard Version
    he that doeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. To this end was the Son of God manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

Douay-Rheims Bible
    He that commmitteth sin is of the devil: for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose, the Son of God appeared, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

Darby Bible Translation
    He that practises sin is of the devil; for from [the] beginning the devil sins. To this end the Son of God has been manifested, that he might undo the works of the devil.

English Revised Version
    he that doeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. To this end was the Son of God manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

Webster's Bible Translation
    He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

Weymouth New Testament
    He who is habitually guilty of sin is a child of the Devil, because the Devil has been a sinner from the very beginning. The Son of God appeared for the purpose of undoing the work of the Devil.

World English Bible
    He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. To this end the Son of God was revealed, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

Young's Literal Translation
    he who is doing the sin, of the devil he is, because from the beginning the devil doth sin; for this was the Son of God manifested, that he may break up the works of the devil;
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    12 Oct '19 03:16
    @thinkofone said

You can talk about "levels" all you like ...[text shortened]... f the author were discussing only those on a particular "level", he would have qualified it as such.
    New International Version
    My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father--Jesus Christ, the Righteous One.

New Living Translation
    My dear children, I am writing this to you so that you will not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate who pleads our case before the Father. He is Jesus Christ, the one who is truly righteous.

English Standard Version
    My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.

Berean Study Bible
    My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you will not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate before the Father—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One.

Berean Literal Bible
    My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you might not sin. And if anyone should sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the Righteous One.

New American Standard Bible
    My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous;

New King James Version
    My little children, these things I write to you, so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.

King James Bible
    My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

Christian Standard Bible
    My little children, I am writing you these things so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father--Jesus Christ the righteous one.

Contemporary English Version
    My children, I am writing this so you won't sin. But if you do sin, Jesus Christ always does the right thing, and he will speak to the Father for us.

Good News Translation
    I am writing this to you, my children, so that you will not sin; but if anyone does sin, we have someone who pleads with the Father on our behalf--Jesus Christ, the righteous one.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
    My little children, I am writing you these things so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father--Jesus Christ the Righteous One.

International Standard Version
    My little children, I'm writing these things to you so that you might not sin. Yet if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father—Jesus, the Messiah, one who is righteous.

NET Bible
    (My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin.) But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous One,

New Heart English Bible
    My little children, I write these things to you so that you may not sin. If anyone sins, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ, the righteous.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
    Children, I write these things to you so that you will not sin, and if a person will sin, we have “The Redeemer of the accursed” with The Father - Yeshua The Messiah, The Righteous One.

GOD'S WORD® Translation
    My dear children, I'm writing this to you so that you will not sin. Yet, if anyone does sin, we have Jesus Christ, who has God's full approval. He speaks on our behalf when we come into the presence of the Father.

New American Standard 1977
    My little children, I am writing these things to you that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous;

Jubilee Bible 2000
    My little children, I write these things unto you, that ye sin not; and if anyone has sinned, we have an Advocate before the Father, Jesus, the righteous Christ;

King James 2000 Bible
    My little children, these things write I unto you, that you sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

American King James Version
    My little children, these things write I to you, that you sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

American Standard Version
    My little children, these things write I unto you that ye may not sin. And if any man sin, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

Douay-Rheims Bible
    My little children, these things I write to you, that you may not sin. But if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the just:

Darby Bible Translation
    My children, these things I write to you in order that ye may not sin; and if any one sin, we have a patron with the Father, Jesus Christ [the] righteous;

English Revised Version
    My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye may not sin. And if any man sin, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

Webster's Bible Translation
    My little children, these things I write to you, that ye sin not. And if any man sinneth, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

Weymouth New Testament
    Dear children, I write thus to you in order that you may not sin. If any one sins, we have an Advocate with the Father--Jesus Christ the righteous;

World English Bible
    My little children, I write these things to you so that you may not sin. If anyone sins, we have a Counselor with the Father, Jesus Christ, the righteous.

Young's Literal Translation
    My little children, these things I write to you, that ye may not sin: and if any one may sin, an advocate we have with the Father, Jesus Christ, a righteous one,
  11. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    12 Oct '19 03:431 edit
    @kellyjay said
    So you are not going to do a compare and contrast with the rest of the book; just repeat your bogus interpretation of the text. That is the full measure of your argument, repeat, repeat, and repeat the same charge as if saying over and over is going to change anything it didn't change the first time. I don't ignore that text, I just read in the context of the whole book, you attempt to make it a stand alone statement.
    Enough of the accusation that I just repeat my argument. All YOU've been doing is repeat YOUR argument.

Explain why the author's choice of the word "Poieó" which denotes a "single act" is not what the author meant? Do you think that the author got confused? Do you think that the author didn't know the difference between "Poieó" and "prassó"? Go ahead KJ. Explain it.
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    12 Oct '19 10:052 edits
    @thinkofone said
    Enough of the accusation that I just repeat my argument. All YOU've been doing is repeat YOUR argument.

Explain why the author's choice of the word "Poieó" which denotes a "single act" is not what the author meant? Do you think that the author got confused? Do you think that the author didn't know the difference between "Poieó" and "prassó"? Go ahead KJ. Explain it.
    More than one translation has been given highlighting two points, the first set on the interpretation of part of the book of 1 John, which is being used to suggest that a true believer in Christ will not sin again in this life as we are walking out our sanctification. That doctrine is not backed up by any translation, even the KJV. It is in direct contradiction with other scripture in the very book 1 John, and the rest of the Bible. The second set of scripture shows we have a redeemer if we do sin, who is our advocate with God the Father.

The truth about if we sin is throughout all of scripture, so one small portion of scripture repeating used out of context is not changing the rest of the Bible. If we could not sin once saved, there would be no need to warn us to walk right and not do wrong, or to purify selves because Christ is coming back. If we sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous, our Lord and Redeemer, He has become the propitiation for our sins. God has made provision for our fallen nature; until we do put off our corruptable lives for the incorruptible, we will cease to sin, we will be like Him until then Jesus is faithful.

So tell me are you in fellowship with the Father and with Jesus Christ, the Spirit of God within you? God is a personable being we can know, as a matter of fact, that is the point, are we in a relationship with Him, in fellowship?

1 John 1 English Standard Version (ESV)
    That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we looked upon and have touched with our hands, concerning the word of life— the life was made manifest, and we have seen it, and testify to it and proclaim to you the eternal life, which was with the Father and was made manifest to us— that which we have seen and heard we proclaim also to you, so that you too may have fellowship with us; and indeed our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son Jesus Christ. And we are writing these things so that our joy may be complete.
  13. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    12 Oct '19 12:064 edits
    @kellyjay said
    More than one translation has been given highlighting two points, the first set on the interpretation of part of the book of 1 John, which is being used to suggest that a true believer in Christ will not sin again in this life as we are walking out our sanctification. That doctrine is not backed up by any translation, even the KJV. It is in direct contradiction with other s ...[text shortened]... ther and with his Son Jesus Christ. And we are writing these things so that our joy may be complete.
    The author wrote in Greek. The author did not write in English. The author chose the word "Poieó" which denotes a "single act". The author did not chose the word "prasso" which denotes ""practise", i.e. Perform repeatedly or habitually (thus differing from poieo, which properly refers to a single act)" These are all facts. These are all the TRUTH.

Strong's Exhaustive Concordance
    4238. prassó commit, do, perform
    A primary verb; to "practise", i.e. Perform repeatedly or habitually (thus differing from poieo, which properly refers to a single act);

Pasted from <http://biblehub.com/greek/4238.htm>

Your argument is specious. It ignores what scripture explicitly states in 1 John 3:4-9. The argument which you put forth is "begging the question" which is a logical fallacy.

To "beg the question" is to put forward an argument whose validity requires that its own conclusion be true.

Also called petitio principii, the fallacy is an attempt to support a claim with a premise that itself presupposes the claim.[8] It is an attempt to prove a proposition while simultaneously taking the proposition for granted.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question

Your argument boils down to this: "What 1 John 3:4-9 explicitly states goes against MY INTERPRETATION of other scripture. Therefore it cannot mean what it explicitly states".

Perhaps the following will open your eyes to the TRUTH:
    'Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin, for His seed remaineth in him; and he cannot sin because he is born of God' (1 John iii. 9). But some men will say, 'True; whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin habitually.' Habitually! Whence is that? I read it not. It is not written in the Book. God plainly saith, 'He doth not commit sin;' and thou addest habitually! Who art thou that mendest the oracles of God? . . . Suffer we the apostle to interpret his own words by the whole tenor of his discourse. In the fifth verse of this chapter, he had said, 'Ye know that He (Christ) was manifested to take away our sins; and in Him is no sin.' What is the inference he draws from this? 'Whosoever abideth in Him sinneth not; whosoever sinneth has not seen Him, neither known Him' (v. 6). To this enforcement of this important doctrine, he premises a highly necessary caution, — 'Little children, let no man deceive you' (v. 7); for many will endeavor so to do, to persuade you that you may be unrighteous, that you may commit sin, and yet be the children of God; 'he that doeth righteousness is righteous even as He is righteous. He that committeth sin is of the devil, for the devil sinneth from the beginning.' Then follows: Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for His seed remaineth in him, and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.' 'In this,' adds the apostle, 'the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil.' By this plain mark (the committing or not committing sin) are they distinguished from each other. To the same effect are those words in the fifth chapter: 'We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not' (v. 18)." — Sermons, vol. i. p.155.
    ---John Wesley

Pasted from <https://www.craigladams.com/Books/Wesley/page8/>

"God plainly saith, 'He doth not commit sin;' and thou addest habitually! Who art thou that mendest the oracles of God?"

"'Little children, let no man deceive you' (v. 7); for many will endeavor so to do, to persuade you that you may be unrighteous, that you may commit sin, and yet be the children of God; '"

"To the same effect are those words in the fifth chapter: 'We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not' (v. 18)."
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    12 Oct '19 13:23
    @thinkofone said
    The author wrote in Greek. The author did not write in English. The author chose the word "Poieó" which denotes a "single act". The author did not chose the word "prasso" which denotes ""practise", i.e. Perform repeatedly or habitually (thus differing from poieo, which properly refers to a single act)" These are all facts. These are all the TRUTH.

[quote]Strong's Exhau ...[text shortened]... not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not' (v. 18)."
    The guy who wrote that word wrote the whole book! John, as part of his introduction of that book, was unequivocal on being sinner, and if you denied it, you were calling God a liar. John was also clear on we if we sinned and what would happen if we did. You have not once addressed this; instead, repeat, repeat, repeat your doctrine. The salvation that we have in Jesus Christ, who died for our sins, our Redeemer, who we could confess them too and be forgiven John is explaining.

A single act of sin, or a lifetime of practicing sins, amounts to the same thing; in the context of scripture! One is all it takes to soil us before a perfectly righteous, holy God! John wrote the book to encourage those who put their faith in God, and Jesus Christ His Son! Your 'fact' doesn't change the message, it doesn't alter the verbiage of the whole book or even that small portion of it. The words are perfectly said lining up with the entire book, and the rest of scripture.

The issue you are missing repeatedly isn't a single sin or a lifetime of practicing sin, it is how you are taking it and turning into something at odds with all of the rest of scripture. If you looked at all the translations, I gave you many said one or the other, and it didn't matter to the whole the message of the book stays in perfect agreement with itself either way.

The real issue you are avoiding is the fellowship with God, nothing else is going to matter if you screw that one up. Is God within you?
  15. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '19 02:203 edits
    @kellyjay said
    The guy who wrote that word wrote the whole book! John, as part of his introduction of that book, was unequivocal on being sinner, and if you denied it, you were calling God a liar. John was also clear on we if we sinned and what would happen if we did. You have not once addressed this; instead, repeat, repeat, repeat your doctrine. The salvation that we have in Jesus Christ ...[text shortened]... he fellowship with God, nothing else is going to matter if you screw that one up. Is God within you?
    John was also clear on we if we sinned and what would happen if we did.

The author of 1 John was also clear and very explicit about who is of the devil, who is born of God, who abides in Christ, who has seen Christ, who knows Christ, etc.

Note that it's not just about the fact that "Poieó" denotes a "single act". "Sinneth not" also denotes any single act of sin. "Whosoever sinneth" denotes any acts of sin. Your assertion that the author of 1 John is speaking of habitual sin doesn't hold up to the light of truth.

What you've been writing does NOT actually address this. Instead you keep repeating the dogma in which you believe. It doesn't change the bottom line for the author of 1 John as to who is of the devil, who is born of God, who abides in Christ, who has seen Christ, who knows Christ, etc. His bottom line is still his bottom line.

Actually address it KJ instead of continuing to talk around it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree