Where did Christ go?

Where did Christ go?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

t

Moves
02 Apr 12

Where did Christ go for the three days before he was ressurected? Oblivion? Sheol? Did he just sit in the tomb or maybe go back to heaven?

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
02 Apr 12

Originally posted by tomtom232
Where did Christ go for the three days before he was ressurected? Oblivion? Sheol? Did he just sit in the tomb or maybe go back to heaven?
You are not really interested in an answer are you?
You are just trying to bait people.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
02 Apr 12

Originally posted by Rajk999
Don't chicken out so quickly. It's a legitimate question.

t

Moves
02 Apr 12

No, I am really interested in an answer.

t

Moves
02 Apr 12

No, I am really interested in an answer.
Actually, extremely interested. This is one of the biggest questions I have regarding the bible besides what happened in Christ's earlier years and whether or not he knew was God his whole life.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
02 Apr 12
2 edits

Actually, extremely interested. This is one of the biggest questions I have regarding the bible besides what happened in Christ's earlier years and whether or not he knew was God his whole life.
From the words of Christ, we know that .. man can kill his body but not his soul/spirit.

So the physical body of Christ died and went to the grave.

The soul or spirit went back to God. Christ said to the theif who was cricified with him that they will both be in paradise that very day.

Those are the words of Christ minus any personal interpretation or bias. Others will give you their opinions based on what experts said, and what translation issues are involved and what Greek and Hebrew words mean etc etc. Plus many here have to 'toe the party line' ..

t

Moves
02 Apr 12
1 edit

From the words of Christ, we know that .. man can kill his body but not his soul/spirit.

So the physical body of Christ died and went to the grave.

The soul or spirit went back to God. Christ said to the theif who was cricified with him that they will both be in paradise that very day.

Those are the words of Christ minus any personal interpretation ...[text shortened]... d and what Greek and Hebrew words mean etc etc. Plus many here have to 'toe the party line' ..
I assume this answer means that you don't believe in the God as the Trinity?

It also makes me wonder the significance of the three days.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
02 Apr 12

I believe that God is the Father and Christ is the Son. Two separate and distinct entities.
Maybe my gut instinct was right after all. You were trying to bait people.

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
02 Apr 12

3 days is significant for resurrected solar deities like jesus.

during the solar cycle, the sun appears to go down into the "abyss" (gets lower on the horizon every day). but then it appears to halt its descent for 3 days and then begins to rise again, in a rebirth of the solar cycle.

so for 3 days, like his predecessors savior deities, jesus descended into the abyss/underworld. then he rose again in a new life to repeat the solar cycle.

t

Moves
02 Apr 12

I believe that God is the Father and Christ is the Son. Two separate and distinct entities.
Maybe my gut instinct was right after all. You were trying to bait people.
If clarification qualifies as baiting, I guess so.

rc

Moves
02 Apr 12
1 edit

Actually Christ qualifies the statement using the example of Jonah,

(Matthew 12:40) . . .For just as Jonah was in the belly of the huge fish three days
and three nights, so the Son of man will be in the heart of the earth three days and
three nights. . .

Evidently Christ died on Friday afternoon, Nisan 14, 33 C.E. His body was placed in a
tomb before sunset of that day. Nisan 15 began that evening and ran until sundown
of Saturday, the seventh and last day of the week. At that time Nisan 16 began and
ran its course until sunset of what we call Sunday. Consequently, Jesus was dead
and in the tomb for at least a period of time on Nisan 14, was entombed throughout
the entire day of Nisan 15, and spent the nighttime hours of Nisan 16 in the tomb.
When certain women came to the tomb on Sunday morning, he had already been
resurrected.

t

Moves
02 Apr 12

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Actually Christ qualifies the statement using the example of Jonah,

(Matthew 12:40) . . .For just as Jonah was in the belly of the huge fish three days
and three nights, so the Son of man will be in the heart of the earth three days and
three nights. . .

Evidently Christ died on Friday afternoon, Nisan 14, 33 C.E. His body was placed in a ...[text shortened]... omb.
When certain women came to the tomb on Sunday morning, he had already been
resurrected.
Yes, but I mean where did his soul go?

rc

Moves
02 Apr 12
2 edits

Yes, but I mean where did his soul go?
What soul? Christ was a soul, he didn't have an entity which left him and transcended
death, he was dead. The idea of of something which transcends death is purely Greek
in origin, as in the winged chariot of the soul mentioned by Plato and absorbed into
Christianity after the death of the apostles.

t

Moves
02 Apr 12

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
What soul? Christ was a soul, he didn't have an entity which left him and transcended
death, he was dead.
So before Christ nobody had an "entity which left [them] and transcended death?" Nobody went to heaven?

rc

Moves
02 Apr 12

So before Christ nobody had an "entity which left [them] and transcended death?" Nobody went to heaven?
yes that is correct, Christ states as much,

(John 3:13) . . .Moreover, no man has ascended into heaven but he that descended
from heaven, the Son of man. . .