When Jesus Became Son of God

When Jesus Became Son of God

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
21 Jul 15
1 edit

Originally posted by checkbaiter
I prefer to leave off debating because as I said you will not change my mind, but I will continue to counter what you post on the subject.

Revelation 1:17
When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: “Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last.” (NIV)

1. The phrase, “the First and the Las ...[text shortened]... First and the Last.”

Morgridge, p. 122

Racovian Catechism, pp. 157-163

Snedeker, p. 469
Hey, you said something to the effect that you didn't want to argue about this anymore with me, with parting words of peace and love.

Do you want me to read your post and reply ?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
21 Jul 15

Originally posted by sonship
Hey, you said something to the effect that you didn't want to argue about this anymore with me, with parting words of peace and love.

Do you want me to read your post and reply ?
I prefer not to, there are more important things for Christians to discuss. I am simply posting an opposing view to your interpretation of Isaiah 9:6
I would much rather see Christians discuss practical every day living, for example how to receive physical healing, how to overcome fear, doubt, depression, poverty, etc.
While we debate the trinity, which neither of us is about to change our minds, the enemy just laughs at us.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
21 Jul 15
1 edit

So I reply something.

1. The phrase, “the First and the Last,” is a title that is used five times in the Bible, twice in Isaiah of God (44:6; 48:12) and three times in Revelation of the Son (1:17; 2:8; 22:13).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for placing them all together.

Trinitarians sometimes make the assumption that since the same title applies to both the Father and the Son, they must both be God.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The word Trinitarians doesn't appear anywhere in those passages. They simply say what they say. Hand waving about "Trinitarians" means little.

Handwaving about "Unitarians" is also not that relevant. A good understanding of what is being conveyed there is all that really matters.

And what God said - Jesus the Son of Man said.
More importantly, the Son of Man demonstrated that He is indeed the First and the Last through the testimony of His resurrection.

"Jesus answered and said to them. Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up. ... But He spoke of the temple of His body." (See John 2:19,21)

By the power of an indestructible life Christ not only said but demonstrated that He is the living temple of God in a man.

However, there is no biblical justification on which to base that assumption. When the whole of Scripture is studied, one sees that the same titles are used for God, Christ and men. Examples include “Lord” (see Rom. 10:9) and “Savior” (see Luke 1:47) and “King of kings” (see 1 Tim. 6:14-16). If other titles apply to God, Christ and men without making all of them into “one God,” then there is no reason to assume that this particular title would mean they were one God unless Scripture specifically told us so, which it does not.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This doesn't make much sense to me yet.
Romans 10:9 is about being saved through calling "Lord Jesus". And the Apostle connects calling Lord Jesus to calling on God from Joel 2:32.

If Paul meant to distinguish calling "Lord Jesus" FROM calling on Jehovah in he would not have linked this calling with Joel 2:32 -

"For whoever calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. " (Rom. 10:13)

"And everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah shall be saved; For in Mount Zion and in Jerusalem will be an escape, ... " (Joel 2:32)

God became incarnated in Jesus Christ, the Lord on whom we all should call.

Luke 1:47 says records Mary's praises - "And my spirit exalted in God my Savior."

This is suppose to prove that Jesus is not God my Savior?
This is suppose to prove the Son is not God incarnate?
This is suppose to prove that the Word that was with God and was God did not become flesh?

In just two verses away Mary says - "Because the Mighty One has done great things." (v.49) Isaiah's prophecy said that a Child born would be called "Mighty God" (Isaiah 9:6).

How much Mary perceived at that point I don't know. I am sure that eventually she realized that her baby child was the Mighty God - "the Mighty One" Himself.

Then we have First Timothy 6:14-16.

"To keep the commandment spotless, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ, (v.14)

Which in its own times the blessed and only Sovereign will show, the King of those who reign as kings and the Lord of those who rule as lords, (v.15)

Who alone has immortality, dwelling in unapproachable light, whom no man has seen nor can see, to whom be honor and eternal might. Amen. (v.16)

This refers to the second coming of Christ. " ... the only Sovereign will show" refers to His appearing in verse 14.

In the second coming of Christ He has His name King of Kings and Lord of lords.

"These will make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb will overcome them, for He is Lord of lords and King of kings, ... (Rev. 17:14)

"And He has on His garment and on His thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS." (Rev. 19:16 RcV)

Let's go back to First Timothy 6:14,15 -

" ... until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ, Which in its own times the blessed and only Sovereign will show, the King of those who reign as kings and Lord of those who rule as lords, WHO ALONE HAS IMMORTALITY, dwelling in unapproachable light, whom no man has seen nor can see, to whom be honor and eternal might. Amen."

This means God will reveal Himself in the second coming of Jesus Christ. Since this One alone has immortality this One is God Himself.

The Trinity is upheld by the passage.
Now I believe that some Gentile king was also called king of kings in the Old Testament. But that was a title given by men on earth and not written upon Christ by God in Revelation 17 or 19.

And no earthly ruler can be said to alone have immortality. Christ who died and rose demonstrated that He alone had immortality. For Him to have it means that Eternal Father and the eternal Spirit are also God.

I prefer to leave off debating because as I said you will not change my mind, but I will continue to counter what you post on the subject.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's ok because a good debate is really not about persuading the other debater, but presenting the best case to an audience.

Moves
21 Jul 15

Originally posted by sonship
So I reply something.

[b] 1. The phrase, “the First and the Last,” is a title that is used five times in the Bible, twice in Isaiah of God (44:6; 48:12) and three times in Revelation of the Son (1:17; 2:8; 22:13).

Thank you for placing them all together.

[b ...[text shortened]... e is really not about persuading the other debater, but presenting the best case to an audience.[/b]
"That's ok because a good debate is really not about persuading the other debater, but presenting the best case to an audience."

Then perhaps if is time for each side to present a summation.

However, I feel the debate has drifted from my OP. That's fine, because it has been interesting, to say the least, and I respect both of you for it, FW (my opinion) IW. Other audience members may chime in differently, and then of course there is the divine audience, watching to see if He has communicated the truth effectively. 🙂

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
21 Jul 15

I prefer not to, there are more important things for Christians to discuss. I am simply posting an opposing view to your interpretation of Isaiah 9:6
I would much rather see Christians discuss practical every day living, for example how to receive physical healing, how to overcome fear, doubt, depression, poverty, etc.
While we debate the trinity, which neither of us is about to change our minds, the enemy just laughs at us.
Good Idea. Why not start a thread along these lines?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
21 Jul 15
2 edits

Originally posted by JS357
"That's ok because a good debate is really not about persuading the other debater, but presenting the best case to an audience."

However, I feel the debate has drifted from my OP. That's fine, because it has been interesting, to say the least, and I respect both of you for it, FW (my opinion) ...[text shortened]... e there is the divine audience, watching to see if He has communicated the truth effectively. 🙂
Sorry to drift so far from your OP. I thought and thought on Bart Ehrman's claims and only thought to link to several debates he has with others who share his level of NT textural critical skill.

And I figured probably few would pay attention to those lengthy debates on YouTube. IE scholars who can stand up to Bart Ehrman and Richard Carrier in their statements.

I think Ehrman likes to rock boats and say sensational stuff. Some of it is kind of insightful. Some of it is skeptical hype encouraged by the media.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
22 Jul 15
1 edit

However, I feel the debate has drifted from my OP. That's fine, because it has been interesting, to say the least, and I respect both of you for it, FW (my opinion) ...[text shortened]... e there is the divine audience, watching to see if He has communicated the truth effectively. 🙂
Thank you, I will leave off with these final thoughts and I will be done in this thread.

Many think that by saying Jesus is not God, that I am subtracting or even making Jesus of less importance.
On the contrary, I extol Him. I exalt Him, like His Father did. He is my Lord and Savior.

Think on this, if Jesus is God...

Did he really feel the pain of the lashes on his back, the punches to the face?

You know, the movie "The Passion" by Mel Gibson, as graphic as it was, didn't even begin to show the truth of what happened. If it did, it would have had to be rated even higher than R...
In Isaiah it says that Jesus was beaten so bad that he did not even resemble a man anymore. My heart aches to think about it.
Isa 52:14
Just as many were astonished at you,
So His visage was marred more than any man,
And His form more than the sons of men;
NKJV

Jesus is much more valiant and my champion, because he was a man, not a Godman.

When he asked the Father if there were any other way than the cross, the deep emotional trauma, was he God or a man?

You see, if he was God, one could say, "so he was beaten to a pulp, big deal, he was God".
Or they might say, "sure, Satan tempted him, and he didn't sin, but he was God, me?, I'm just a human",

I believe he was a man who loved and obeyed God to the max.
Knowing that Jesus was a man and not God, makes him so much more of a hero to me.
He was tempted in all points as a man could be tempted. Now I can relate to that, but it would be difficult to relate to him if he is a Godman.

Satan knew he was a man and would not have bothered , he would not have wasted his time trying to tempt God, because God could not be tempted.

Trinitarians will say that Jesus somehow "set aside" his Godhood. Really? That would have to be one of the greatest "mysteries" ever proclaimed .

How can something that is “admittedly difficult to understand” and a “mathematical impossibility” be the “very foundation of Christian truth”?
And how is the teaching of one God in three persons “profoundly realistic in both universal experience and in the scientific understanding of the universe”?
What does that mean?
If you ask me it is just a lot of gobble-de-gook!
The teaching that the one true God consists of a union of God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit would have been absolutely unknown and repugnant to the earliest Christians.

Acts 2:24
24 whom God raised up, having loosed the pains of death, because it was not possible that He should be held by it.
NKJV

Acts 2:33
Therefore being exalted to the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, He poured out this which you now see and hear.
NKJV

Acts 2:36
"Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly that God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ."
NKJV

First, please notice that “This Jesus God has raised up (vs.24),” and also Jesus was “exalted to the right hand of God (vs.33).” And secondly, notice the truth that “God has made this Jesus . . . both Lord and Christ (vs. 36).” Jesus isn’t Lord by virtue of his being the eternal God, he was made Lord as a reward for his obedience to God.

John 14:28
You have heard Me say to you, 'I am going away and coming back to you.' If you loved Me, you would rejoice because I said, 'I am going to the Father,' for My Father is greater than I.
NKJV

If Jesus Christ were truly co-equal with the Father then why didn’t he say, “Rejoice—I am going to the Father and we are equal in glory and honor”? The words of Christ
however, are clear and simple to all who have a humble heart. The Father is greater than the Son. In pointing out this truth it’s as funny as trying to convince someone that the sun is not the moon! In Scripture, God the Father is greater than His Son Jesus Christ in knowledge, in power and even in divine authority. As for knowledge, Acts 15:18 states, “Known to God from eternity are all His works.” The one true God is omniscient, He knows all things, even the end from the beginning. But the Bible reveals
that Jesus didn’t know certain aspects of his second coming.

Over and over the Bible, the Word of God, asserts that there is only one God and one person who is God. This person is Yahweh, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Jesus
Christ is the Son of God, fully human, but absolutely unique because he was conceived through the power of God’s Spirit.

Jesus is the seed of the woman as foretold in Genesis 3. He is the prophet like Moses to be raised up from among the people as promised in Deuteronomy 18. He is the descendant of King David as declared in 2 Samuel 7. And he is the perfect reflection of the one true God as stated in Hebrews 1. He is the one and only begotten Son of God. He is my Lord and Savior but he is not God.
The stark simplicity of this truth may be shocking and even threatening to some but it is only years of wrong teaching that make this hard to accept. The Bible is clear in both the Old and the New Testaments that God is one person. He is the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. He is the God of Moses and David. He is the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Take your stand on that foundation. It’s a firm one.

Moves
22 Jul 15

So the only last thing I ask, is, what is the Biblical (and any other) evidence that Jesus was, or became, the Son of God, and when in His life did that happen. No arguments, just the citations, are kindly asked.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
22 Jul 15

So the only last thing I ask, is, what is the Biblical (and any other) evidence that Jesus was, or became, the Son of God, and when in His life did that happen. No arguments, just the citations, are kindly asked.
At this point I suppose...
Then the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. 31 And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bring forth a Son, and shall call His name Jesus. 32 He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Highest; and the Lord God will give Him the throne of His father David. 33 And He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of His kingdom there will be no end.”

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
22 Jul 15
4 edits

Some responses:

Jesus is much more valiant and my champion, because he was a man, not a Godman.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jesus is Godman or He could not indwell us.

"the last Adam became a life giving Spirit" (1 Cor. 15:45)

"The Spirit of God" is used interchangeably with both "the Spirit of Christ" and even "Christ" Himself in Romans 8:9,10.

All His splendid human qualities by which He is the Perfect Man are also included in this "life giving Spirit". But His divine attributes and high human virtues are included in this Spirit. Therefore Paul speaks of - "the bountiful supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ" (Phil 1:19)

Denying that Jesus is God does nothing to make Him more human and thus more relevant. And it contradicts that that Word that with God and WAS God, became flesh. (John 1:1,14)

When he asked the Father if there were any other way than the cross, the deep emotional trauma, was he God or a man?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He was God become a man - "And the Word became flesh ..." (John 1:14) The Eternal was expressed in human limitation in a perfect mingling.

And "the last Adam became a life giving Spirit" (1 Cor. 15:45) brings this incarnated, perfect living One with His death and resurrection into our being as "the bountiful supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ" (Phil. 1:19)

I must repleat. In the experiential "shop talk" of Paul; in Romans 8:9-11 "Christ" Who was and still is a man, is used interchangeably with the title "the Spirit of God".

His perfect manhood is made available to believers via "the life giving Spirit" - the Holy Spirit the Third of the Trinity. we should call upon His name "O Lord Jesus, You are my MAN !!" to enjoy the fine humanity of Jesus as well as His divine being as God.

You see, if he was God, one could say, "so he was beaten to a pulp, big deal, he was God".

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am beginning to wonder if there is a connection between the failure to see that Jesus is God in incarnation and the bafflement in eternal punishment for rejecting Him. But that is only a question I have.

For some exceptions in most cases on this Forum, those having a problem with the Trinity or with Christ being God incarnate seems to go hand in hand with unbelief in a greatest possible offense which could lead to eternal damnation.

Or they might say, "sure, Satan tempted him, and he didn't sin, but he was God, me?, I'm just a human",

I believe he was a man who loved and obeyed God to the max.
Knowing that Jesus was a man and not God, makes him so much more of a hero to me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't want Jesus to be a "hero" to me whose WORDS I do not believe. He is is an example or hero, yes. But more so He became " a life giving Spirit" the Holy Spirit in order to come with the Father and make an abode with His lovers (John 14:23)

The words " ... and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make an abode with him." (John 14:23) mean that the Triune God is dispensing Himself into the believers. The Father in the Son by the Holy Spirit is giving the believer divine life. God the Father comes and the man Jesus comes both as "a life giving [Holy] Spirit".

Since the entire Triune God is dispensed into us to eventually swallow up the believers in divine life, this Spirit has everything we need and is "the bountiful supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ" (Phil. 1:19)

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
22 Jul 15
2 edits

Over and over the Bible, the Word of God, asserts that there is only one God and one person who is God.

True. And just as much "over and over again" it speaks of the Holy Spirit bringing the Father and the Son into the believers in Christ.

God is triune for the dispensing of Himself into man,
He is not a trinity just for an objective doctrine.
He is the Trinity for the dispensing of God into His people.

He finally REACHES man's inner being as "a life giving Spirit" who is the last Adam in a form in which He can enter into our spirit. When He comes the Father comes too. They both of the ONE GOD come but as the Divine "We".

" ... and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make an abode with him." (John 14:23)

This Divine "We" is the one God. And this is confirmed by the Apostle John's word:

"And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us an understanding that we might know Him who is true; and we are in Him who is true, in His Son Jesus Christ.

This is the true God and eternal life." ( 1 John 5:20)

What is the "THIS" that John says is "the true God and eternal life" ? The "THIS" is the one in whom the believers are in - the True one and His Son Jesus Christ.

God desires to dispense Himself into man. For this He is Father - Son Whom He has sent as the true one. He comes into man and places man in Himself. This is the true God and eternal life.

This person is Yahweh, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Jesus
Christ is the Son of God, fully human, but absolutely unique because he was conceived through the power of God’s Spirit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Isaac, in a sense, was also miraculously conceived by the power of God. Sarah was well beyond the child birthing age. I am wary that the checkbaiter may just be saying Christ's virgin birth makes Him unique.

That it does. However, He was not only conceived of the power of the Spirit of God but was the Word that was God become flesh. So God became a man. And the prophet Isaiah foretold that a child born would be called "Mighty God".

Not only so, but a "son ... given" would be called Eternal Father. You have two lines in incarnation:

1.) the child born is the incarnation of the Mighty God.
2.) the son given is the incarnation of the Eternal Father.

The Eternal Father is Yahweh [or Jehovah].

" For You are our Father, since Abraham does not know us, And Israel does not acknowledge us.

You, Jehovah [Yahweh] are our Father, Our Redeemer from of old is Your name." (Isaiah 63:16)

The Son given is the incarnation of the Eternal Father.
No wonder He is first called "Wonderful"{/b].

[b]
Jesus is the seed of the woman as foretold in Genesis 3. He is the prophet like Moses to be raised up from among the people as promised in Deuteronomy 18.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He is those things too. It is not that we believe something extra. It is that checkbaiter does not believe enough.

He is the Prophet.
He is also the 'seed" of the woman.
Why leave out that He is the Son given whose name is Eternal Father?

Who is the Mighty God whom this born child IS ?
The Mighty God is Yahweh [ Jehovah ]. The very next chapter Isaiah 10 tells us that the Mighty God is Jehovah

" ... but they will rely upon Jehovah [Yahweh], the Holy One of Israel.

A remnant will return, the remnant of Jacob to the mighty God." (Isaiah 10:20b,21)

God became a man.
That He obeyed, prayed to, petitioned the Father and laid down His life in obedience to God the Father is Wonderful. We are not commanded to be able to explain. We are commanded to believe.

He is the descendant of King David as declared in 2 Samuel 7. And he is the perfect reflection of the one true God as stated in Hebrews 1. He is the one and only begotten Son of God. He is my Lord and Savior but he is not God.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Refering to the book of Hebrews, the SON is addressed as God.

But of the Son, "Your throne, O God, is forever and ever ... " (Heb. 1:8)

My man is Yahweh the Eternal Father.
My God is the man Jesus Christ.

And God has dispensed Himself in the Son into my being as the Holy Spirit - the life giving Spirit.

" the last Adam became a life giving Spirit" (1 Cor. 15:45)

Thomas confessed the MAN Jesus as God. Jesus the resurrected MAN did not rebuke him. Rather He confirmed that Thomas had believed.

"Thomas answered and said to Him, My Lord and my God!

Jesus said to him, Because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and believed." (John 20:28,29)

Believed WHAT ?
Believed, not only that Jesus was miraculously born by the power of the Holy Spirit. Believed, not only that He is a resurrected man who died a redemptive death, but also believed that He is our Lord and our God.

The Word that was God became flesh (John 1:1,14).
So in resurrection Thomas finally realized that this man was God.

The stark simplicity of this truth may be shocking and even threatening to some but it is only years of wrong teaching that make this hard to accept.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What about the stark simplicity that the Word that was God became flesh (John 1:1,14) ?

What about the stark simplicity that Jesus confirmed that Thomas was uttering truth to confess Jesus as his Lord and his God ?

What about that stark simplicity?
Maybe it is not so simple. But it is the Word of God, simple or not.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
22 Jul 15

I am beginning to wonder if there is a connection between the failure to see that Jesus is God in incarnation and the bafflement in eternal punishment for rejecting Him. But that is only a question I have.

For some exceptions in most cases on this Forum, those having a problem with the Trinity or with Christ being God incarnate seems to go hand in hand with unbelief in a greatest possible offense which could lead to eternal damnation.

This is typically how these debates play out. The trinitarian will use subtle words, like indirectly comparing me to a moslem, then subtle accusations of unbelief, judgement, etc.
1. Apparently you did not read my link to "Do you have to believe in the trinity to be saved?
http://www.biblicalunitarian.com/do-you-have-to-believe-in-the-trinity-to-be-saved

2. I have never denied the Lord Jesus, the only begotten Son of God. On the contrary I embrace Him. I just don't believe your perception of who He really is.

3. Now that you bring it up, in Jesus words,
Matt 16:15-16
He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?"

16 Simon Peter answered and said, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."
NKJV

That is who I say He is, I agree with Peter.
And what was Jesus response?
Matt 16:17-18
Jesus answered and said to him, "Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven.
NKJV

So please do not tell me if I fail to see Jesus as God I am in danger of eternal damnation! Beware of what you think you know, it can get you in a lot of trouble.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
24 Jul 15

Was the Son of God merely a human body which God had prepared for himself to dwell in? If so then did God’s own personality come to occupy the place where the man’s personal center would have been?
Or else was a complete human being created who like every other human being had an autonomous selfhood of his own – an independent will? If so, then Jesus and God are two distinct individuals, however close their relationship. The first is a complete man and the second the God who inhabits him. The choice here is between a ‘flesh-bearing God’ (theos sarkophoros) and a‘God-bearing man’ (anthropos theophoros).

If Jesus and his God are ontologically one the biblical scheme of Jesus’ exemplary surrender to the will of God breaks down. The will which is surrendered to God is in actual fact God's, and the man offering himself to God is in reality no less God than the God to whom he prays. God, in the guise of a man is, in reality, simply submitting to his own self.
The proposition that, in Christ, God called forth an obedient response from humanity is called seriously into question if what really took place was a matter either of God trusting and submitting to himself, or one part of God doing so to another. For a person to will what God wills, an essential prerequisite must be that they have a will of their own to offer in the first place!

“The most complete, the fullest, the most organic and integrated union of Godhead and manhood which is conceivable is precisely one in which by gracious indwelling of God in man and by manhood's free response in surrender and love, there is established a relationship which is neither accidental nor incidental, on the one hand, nor mechanical and physical on other; but a full, free, gracious unity of the two in Jesus Christ, who is both the farthest reach of God the Word into the life of man and also (and by consequence) the richest response of man to God.”

On this basis, the author goes on to comment that for a person to do the will of God “to be fully and independently a man is a qualification, not a disqualification.” Ontological identity between God and Jesus serves only to undermine the validity of what the bible clearly tells us about both.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
24 Jul 15
1 edit

Another issue which brings us to the heart of this question, perhaps helping us to take a firmer grip of the pillar, is the question as to the scale of what God offered. It is a common assumption that if what God really offered in the person of his Son was his own self, then, God being infinite, his sacrifice would be of infinite value, nothing to be compared to the offering of a 'mere man'.
Let's examine this a little more closely... To begin with there is the fundamental contradiction inherent in the assertion that the immortal God, who cannot die, actually did. At the very least, on this basis it must be conceded that only the human, and not the divine part of ‘God-the-Son’ died, so Jesus did not give all of himself.

But, leaving that aside, who or what is it exactly that God sacrificed on the cross? This question
retraces our steps, moving back from soteriology into Christology and our ‘hollow’ man diagram.
Jesus’ cry of dereliction on the cross “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” effectively
focuses the question we asked earlier. If we remove God from Jesus, what is left? A man,
independent of God, or something less?
If Jesus is anything less than a complete man, distinct from the God who created and indwelt him
then when God forsook his Son on the cross, all he did was shed a body and return to heaven. The
Son’s cry of dereliction is reduced to the mere amputation of a temporary shell inhabited by the
eternal God.
According to the orthodox father Hippolytus, this could be compared to God removing an item of
clothing he had chosen to wear:
“The logos, as a bridegroom, had woven for himself a garment out of the holy flesh of the holy
Virgin...”
To which Werner comments:
“[the logos] used the holy flesh of the Virgin as an outward covering. This 'garment' was the
human physical body, indwelt by him, which became immortal, because it was 'compounded' of
the Spirit of the Logos and the physical substance of Man, i.e. of the immortal and the mortal.”17
But if Jesus is a complete human being in addition to the indwelling God, then both he and God
gave much, much more. God actually gave his own beloved Son in exchange for us. This is an act
of sacrificial love the scale of which lies beyond the power of human comprehension. And the
man Jesus gave up everything he was.
But what about the Trinitarian doctrine that there is a distinction of persons within the Godhead?
Perhaps this may account for Jesus' words in a way which does justice to his divinity without
reducing him to being a docetic hollow man.
In connection with this it is important to note what Jesus did not say. He did not say “my Father,
my Father” but “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” Here Jesus reveals himself to be
not only someone other than the Father, which the Trinitarian model freely concedes. He is also
someone other than God. And, according to orthodoxy, the divine substance shared by both
Father and Son is the very basis of their ontological union. In one utterance Jesus uproots the
carefully crafted and much disputed pivotal homoousian element of the Trinitarian formula
depicted in the diagram below.

Only a ‘merely’ human Jesus could give up everything he is, completely offering his whole self,
pouring out his soul to death. Only for him could that surrender be a genuine step of faith18, into
the unknown, as opposed to the return to a prior state of existence in a far better place than the
troubled streets of an occupied land.
On this basis I would suggest that the Trinitarian Jesus actually sacrificed less, since it was only
his body that died - the material, mortal part of himself, which he assumed at his ‘incarnation’. He
was already a complete ‘divine person’ before his conception and presumably continued to be so
throughout the death and resurrection of his bodily shell.
CONCLUSION
The impulse which gave rise to the insistence that Jesus had to be God in order for his sacrifice
for our sins to be sufficient, arose from a set of cosmological concerns which are entirely alien to
both the Hebrew Bible and New Testament.
In spite of the fact that the current view is something of a more moderate residue of this and does
assign due emphasis to the significance of Christ's sacrificial work on the cross, nevertheless the
continuing insistence that Jesus had to be God in order to do this is incompatible with the
framework provided for us by the New Testament and does violence to its fabric.
The sacrifice of the Son of God
By Alex Hall

http://www.christianmonotheism.com/media/text/Alex%20Hall%20--%20The%20Sacrifice%20of%20the%20Son%20of%20God.pdf

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
24 Jul 15
3 edits

[quote]I am beginning to wonder if there is a connection between the failure to see that Jesus is God in incarnation and the bafflement in eternal punishment for rejecting Him. But that is only a question I have.

For some exceptions in most cases on this Forum, those having a problem with the Trinity or with Christ being God incarnate seems to go hand ...[text shortened]... ger of eternal damnation! Beware of what you think you know, it can get you in a lot of trouble.
This is typically how these debates play out. The trinitarian will use subtle words, like indirectly comparing me to a moslem, then subtle accusations of unbelief, judgement, etc.

I think if you look again at my post you will see that I said it was a genuine question. And it was, That means I do not assume there is a connection. I wonder if there is.

I wonder if there if in many cases a disbelief in the incarnation of God as the man Jesus and the prospect of eternal punishment go hand in hand.

1. Apparently you did not read my link to "Do you have to believe in the trinity to be saved?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe I didn't or just didn't remember.

But in talking about how these debates usually play out, I think often someone has an opinion about Jesus or God and takes the initiative to demand to know if they are damned for believing something.

Often it seems the person is eager to push Christians into a position of saying they are not saved for holding some concept.
Not always does it "play out" this way, but often I think.

http://www.biblicalunitarian.com/do-you-have-to-believe-in-the-trinity-to-be-saved

2. I have never denied the Lord Jesus, the only begotten Son of God. On the contrary I embrace Him. I just don't believe your perception of who He really is.

Okay. But I also believe that He is the Son of God.
I think maybe it is not that I believe something extra.
Maybe you don't believe enough. But growth is expected in all of the believers.

3. Now that you bring it up, in Jesus words,

--------------------------------------------------------------

[quote]Matt 16:15-16
He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?"

16 Simon Peter answered and said, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."
NKJV

That is who I say He is, I agree with Peter.
And what was Jesus response?
Matt 16:17-18
Jesus answered and said to him, "Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven.
NKJV

Thank you indeed. Yes t hose things He also said.
Its good to read on and grow in understanding.
Its good to experience on and grow in appreciation.

I think you can have a wonderful journey before you, as I also have before me.

My God is definitely the Lord Jesus the resurrected and available Man. How could He indwell me unless He was God Who is Spirit (John 4:24) ?

See how Paul uses the title "the Spirit of God" interchangeably with "Christ".

" But you are no in the flesh but in the [ regenerated human ] spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Yet if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not of Him. But if Christ is in you, though the body is dead because of sin, the [regenerated human ] spirit is life because of righteousness." (Rom. 8:9-11_ [/b]

God is Spirit. The Spirit of God dwells in me.
The Spirit of God is Christ dwelling in me.
So my God indwelling me is Christ.

Christ has two locations in the 8th chapter of Romans.

1.) He is at the right hand of God interceding for Christians (v. 34).
2.) He is indwelling His believers - IN the believers - "Christ in you" (v.10)