What's wrong with evolution?

What's wrong with evolution?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
29 Mar 06

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
Oh, that? That wasn't his tripe; that was mine. He says it much more eloquently, with more profound effect. Of course, with your staggering intellect, I'm sure you'll crush his writings with a simple, "He's an idiot," "LOL! Does anyone actually BELIEVE this load of crock?" or some such keen insight.
Those types of bogus statistical probability arguments, all based on events being completely independent when they are almost certainly linked, have been addressed ad nauseum on this forum, most notably by Telerion.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
29 Mar 06

Originally posted by no1marauder
Those types of bogus statistical probability arguments, all based on events being completely independent when they are almost certainly linked, have been addressed ad nauseum on this forum, most notably by Telerion.
Figures.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
29 Mar 06
3 edits

Originally posted by Halitose
[b]How paleontology can be labelled a "soft" science is beyond comprehension...

Your ignorance is showing:

[i/]Hard science is a term, which often is used to describe certain fields of the natural sciences, usually physics, chemistry, and many fields of biology. The hard sciences are said to rely o oing off half-cocked again, try reading up on those long words you don't understand. 😛[/b]
You might want to actually read your own post; it pretty much says that paleontology is NOT a "soft science" by the definition given.

EDIT: From wikipedia:
Modern paleontology sets ancient life in its contexts, by studying how long-term physical changes of global geography ("paleogeography"😉 and climate ("paleoclimate"😉 have affected the evolution of life, how ecosystems have responded to these changes and have changed the planetary environment in turn, and how these mutual responses have affected today's patterns of biodiversity. So paleontology overlaps with geology, the study of rocks and rock formations, and with botany, biology, zoology, and ecology, fields concerned with living creatures and how they interact.

Which of those fields that paleontology overlaps with is not a "hard" science in your "mind"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleontology

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
29 Mar 06

Originally posted by no1marauder
You might want to actually read your own post; it pretty much says that paleontology is NOT a "soft science" by the definition given.

EDIT: From wikipedia:
Modern paleontology sets ancient life in its contexts, by studying how long-term physical changes of global geography ("paleogeography"😉 and climate ("paleoclimate"😉 have affected the evolution o ...[text shortened]... is not a "hard" science in your "mind"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleontology
Nice try. Is ancient life repeatable? Can we repeat the Mesozoic era? Maybe the Cambrian? Paleontology is a science of the life of past geologic periods based on fossil remains. Is this really so hard to understand in your "mind"? Paleontology relies on qualitative data compared to the quantitative analysis of the hard sciences. Have fun trying to wrangle your way out of that one.

Overlapping does not necessarily improve the credibility of a field; it merely implies application. You are committing the association fallacy – “honour by association”.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
29 Mar 06

Don't confuse him with the facts; his mind is made up.

a

Meddling with things

Moves
29 Mar 06

Nice try. Is ancient life repeatable? Can we repeat the Mesozoic era? Maybe the Cambrian? Paleontology is a science of the life of past geologic periods based on fossil remains. Is this really so hard to understand in your "mind"? Paleontology relies on qualitative data compared to the quantitative analysis of the hard sciences. Have fun trying to wrangle y ...[text shortened]... ely implies application. You are committing the association fallacy – “honour by association”.
Yes. In terms of observational science ancient life is repeatable.

I can go and examine fossliferous strata and create taxonomies based on the fossil organisms I observe. You can repeat the observations.

I can go and collect rock samples from fossliferous strata and create time lines based on the isotopic ratios I observe. You can repeat the observations.

I can create models and theories based on the data I collect. You can repeat the process.

This is what repeatable means.

I don't remember paleontology relying on qualitative data when I studied it. The phylogenies of amonites rely on quantative data for example. Do you understand the difference between quantative and qualatative data?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
30 Mar 06
1 edit

Nice try. Is ancient life repeatable? Can we repeat the Mesozoic era? Maybe the Cambrian? Paleontology is a science of the life of past geologic periods based on fossil remains. Is this really so hard to understand in your "mind"? Paleontology relies on qualitative data compared to the quantitative analysis of the hard sciences. Have fun trying to wrangle y ...[text shortened]... ely implies application. You are committing the association fallacy – “honour by association”.
I assume geology isn't a "hard science" by that criteria. Or astronomy. And what else is "soft science" by the criteria you have created out of whole cloth (or more likely, have had a YEC create for you)?

Your ignorance of science shows when you try to discredit the fact that paleontology "overlaps" with other fields. What that means is that similar methods are used; a fossil is a mineralized remmant of a biological creature after all. What a shock that the methods used in those fields would "overlap"!

m

Moves
30 Mar 06

I was reading about Noah's Ark recently and it's origins in the eleventh tablet of the Babylonian Epic of Gilgamesh. Utnapishtim is the wise king of the Sumerian city state of Shuruppak who, along with his unnamed wife, survived a great flood sent by Enlil to drown every living thing on Earth. This was the origin of the flood myth in your bible.

It appears your religion at the very least is evolving and maybe we should start discussing the micro- and macroevolutionary shifts over time?

J

Moves
30 Mar 06

Originally posted by micarr
I was reading about Noah's Ark recently and it's origins in the eleventh tablet of the Babylonian Epic of Gilgamesh.
Is it really the origin, or is this (and the many other flood myths) finding their origin in a major past flood?

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
30 Mar 06

Originally posted by JadeMantis
Is it really the origin, or is this (and the many other flood myths) finding their origin in a major past flood?
Here lies an interesting way of demonstrating how the scientific process works.

First a theory:
Two senior scientists from Columbia University have proposed a theory that a massive transfer of water occurred about 5600 BCE - over seven and a half millennia ago. They wrote: "Ten cubic miles of water poured through each day, two hundred times what flows over Niagara Falls." "The Bosporus flume roared and surged at full spate for at least three hundred days." 60,000 square miles of land were inundated. The Black Sea shoreline significantly expanded to the north and east. The lake's its water level was raised many hundreds of feet. It changed from a fresh-water landlocked lake into a salt water lake connected to the world's oceans.
They have drawn on the findings of experts in agriculture, archaeology, genetics, geology, language, development of textiles and pottery, etc. They postulate that this deluge had catastrophic effects on the people living on the shore of the Black Sea. It triggered mass migrations across Europe and into the Near East, Middle East and Egypt. It may have been the source of many flood stories in the area. Some researchers believe that the story of Noah's flood in the Biblical book of Genesis is a myth that had its origin in this cataclysmic event.

This theory makes predictions. These are either confirmed or shown to be wrong by further independent investigation:

In 1999-summer, maritime explorer Robert D. Ballard and his team located the ancient coastline, almost exactly where Ryan and Pitman said that they would find it. The team dredged up samples of rocks from the old shore line of the New Euxine Lake. They found seven distinct species of salt-water mollusks, all of which were carbon dated as being from 2,800 to 6,820 years old. They also found two species of freshwater mollusks which ranged from 7,460 to 15,500 years old. This supports the theory that the Black Sea switched from being a fresh water lake to a salty sea about 7,000 years ago.
A survey of the floor of the Black Sea shows that the river beds of the Dniester, Dnieper, Danube, Don, Volga and other rivers continue beyond the present sea shore for as much as a hundred miles. The river beds all stop at the same level. This would have been the ancient shoreline of the New Euxine Lake.
A number of features have been detected on the bottom of the Black Sea near its old shoreline. They are shaped like tells -- a characteristic shape of the remains of ancient towns or cities.
At one site, some 150 meters (500 feet) under water, archeologists found more than 30 stone blocks, pieces of wood and other objects -- possibly ceramics. The site "appeared uniquely rectangular." The stone blocks did not appear to be part of a natural geological formation. They tentatively conclude that they have found a site that was once occupied by people.
A tell near Ilipinar which is south of the Bosporus Straight, has been excavated. At the approximately 5500 BCE level the excavation reveals a sudden change in pottery design. Archeologists have studied other tells in the area which also showed similar abrupt changes in pottery at the same time. This shows that one society was overrun by another culture at about the same time that the New Euxine Lake was flooded. Presumably the more recent culture were refugees from the flooded lake.

We can then claim that the original theory best fits the current evidence. If further evidence is found that contradicts the theory or the current evidence then the theory may be reassessed. Interesting to note that this flood happened before creation if you believe the Young Earth Creationists.

Cape Town

Moves
30 Mar 06

Originally posted by dj2becker
I don't deny that there are variations within every created kind.
Please define 'kind' as to my knowledge it is a word only used by creationists.

It's the "fact" that all species evolved from one common ancestor, as announced by the TOE that is rather hard to swallow...
Why is it hard to swallow? There is no significant difference.

Even Darwin said in his Origin of Species that there would be millions of transitional fossils everywhere if this were the case…
Every fosil and living organism is transitional. And theres millions of both. Wheres the problem?

a

Meddling with things

Moves
30 Mar 06

Originally posted by dj2becker
It started off as a piano and ended as a piano...
It evolved from the harpsichord which itself evolved from the clavinet

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
30 Mar 06

Originally posted by XanthosNZ
We can to this day see the echo of the Big Bang in the form of background electromagnetic radiation, it was exactly where (in the spectrum) it was predicted to be.
You can see what you call an echo of the big bang, you are assigning
a name and meaning behind something you witness to make it fit
your beliefs, much like what is done with fossils. Connecting the dots
is a matter of faith/belief, you get it right or no? Did someone else
get it right or no, can you prove what occurred billions of years ago,
or must the rest of the world take your analysis as gospel?
Kelly

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
31 Mar 06

Originally posted by KellyJay
Kelly
Uh uh, wrong!
Assigning a name and meaning behind something you witness to make it fit your THEORY not belief! Were it a belief, we couldn't change it as you so eloquently (or maybe notso eloquently) demonstrate.
In science we use the term THEORY because it can change if evidence or experimental data arises that does not fit the THEORY.
In religion you use the term FAITH because it doesn't matter what evidence shows - the FAITH remains.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
31 Mar 06

Originally posted by KellyJay
Kelly
If someone found the background radiation and then decided to call it the echo of the Big Bang perhaps you'd have an argument.

That's not what happened though, the existance of the echo was predicted and certain things were estimated about it. Then it was observed and shown to correspond to the estimations (Actually while one group was searching for the background radiation they expected to be there, a seperate group was struggling to get rid of it).