1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    05 Apr '21 08:43
    Going on with Romans 7.

"But sin, seizing the opportunity through the commandment, worked out in me coveting of every kind; for without the law sin is dead." (v.8)

The law of came saying "You shall not covet". Hearing it SIN in man reacts, awakes, is energized, comes up to fight the commandment and drags down the man infested with the sin nature.

This activating of sin by the law must be "the curse of the law" . And we need deliverance from it through the saving work of Jesus Christ.

"Christ has redeemed us out of the curse of the law, having become a curse on our behalf; because it is written, Cursed is everyone hanging on a tree." (Gal. 3:13)

Jesus Christ came to set us free from the curse of the law.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Apr '21 11:30
    @sonship said
    Some of you are released.
    If you don't know what I mean, I know what I mean.

Some of you I simply release.
    “Release” from what?
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Apr '21 11:31
    @sonship said
    If every last person on this Forum, including myself, frowns in disagreement at the New Testament

"Christ has redeemed us out of the curse of the law having become a curse on our behalf . . . "
    What in the New Testament do you “disagree” with?
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Apr '21 11:31
    @sonship said
    Maybe I am writing for the angels.
    Gosh!
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Apr '21 11:32
    @sonship said
    Maybe its for the sake of some who are destined to get hardened more and more,so that they will be really hardened on that day.
    Gosh!!
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Apr '21 11:33
    @sonship said
    Whatever effect that has on you, that is the effect is has produced. I am satisfied with that. God's word does not return void.
    Why do you keep claiming that your words in here are “God’s word”?

Have you any idea what a deluded, arrogant man you are?
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Apr '21 11:35
    @fmf said
    Why these facetious answers? It's a very straightforward question.
    Why does sonship spend all his time blogging in this forum, to a bunch of people who find him tedious and manufactured, when outside in his neighbourhood there are hundreds, thousands of people who he claims he believes will be burning in eternal hell for not being a Christian...

I find it utterly bizarre.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    05 Apr '21 11:41
    How well Paul describes the effect of the law's curse on a good man.
    It exposes the sin nature making it so active to oppose God's commandments.

"And the commandment, which was unto life, this very commandment was found to me to be unto death." (v.10)

The holy commandment of God which was suppose to deliver life became INSTEAD unto death to Paul.

This is certainly part of "the curse of the law."
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Apr '21 12:37
    @sonship said
    How well Paul describes the effect of the law's curse on a good man.
    It exposes the sin nature making it so active to oppose God's commandments.

"And the commandment, which was unto life, this very commandment was found to me to be unto death." (v.10)

The holy commandment of God which was suppose to deliver life became INSTEAD unto death to Paul.

This is certainly part of "the curse of the law."
    How will you answer the Lord for all of the thousands of people you failed to reach because you were blogging in here?
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    05 Apr '21 13:38

Removed by poster

11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    05 Apr '21 13:393 edits
    Romans 7 is a very good place to see what Paul meant by "the curse of the law".

He helps us to not misunderstand. He says about the law itself -

"So then the law is holy; and the commandment holy and righteous and good." (v.12)

He cannot be clearer then about the positive aspect of the law of God.
    But then he goes on.

"Did then that which is good become death to me?"

Here death means utter weakness and inability because of impotence and feebleness.

"Did then that which is good become death to me? Absolutely not! But sin did, that it might be shown to be sin by working out death in me through that which is good, that sin through the commandment might become exceedingly sinful." (v.13)

See?
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Apr '21 13:144 edits
    So we should not misunderstand "the curse of the law".
    The law itself is commendable. But it activates a kind of rebel parasitic principle in
    our fallen body which revolts ON GENERAL PRINCIPLE against it.

"For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am fleshy, sold under sin." (v.14)

He wrote that the law is good, spiritual, the commandment is holy.
    But . . .

"For what I work out, I do not acknowledge; for what I will, this I do not practice but what I hate, this I do." (v.15)
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Apr '21 13:153 edits
    We do what we hate. What we prefer to do according to our conscience, too often we are dragged away from performing because of the sin nature. Since the fall we have been "sold under sin."

"But if what I do not will, this I do, I agree with the law that it is good. Now then it is no longer I that work it out but sin that dwells in me." (vs.16,17)

"[T]he curse of the law" has to do with this effect of the law of God ACTIVATING an evil contrarian thing in our fallen body rebelling in reaction against the commandment of God. It is as if something in our being says -

"Oh, you want to keep the law of God? I'll immediately drag you down and show you how weak you are. You will do what you hate. You will revolt against what you would prefer to do."

This is "the curse of the law" from which Jesus Christ can liberate us.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Apr '21 13:56
    We will be on the street in Pittsburgh PA today sharing the gospel and giving away
    New Testaments.

There is time to show Peter's agreement with Paul about this sin nature in man's fallen body. Peter says something in the flesh is waging war against the soul.

"Beloved, I entreat you as strangers and sojourners to abstain from fleshly lusts, which wage war against the soul." (1 Pet. 2:11)

Something in the fallen man's flesh wages war against the soul. That includes the mind with agrees with the law of God so often.

"For I delight in the law of God according to the inner man, But I see a different law in my members, warring against the law of my mind and making me a captive to the law of sin which is in my members." (Rom. 7:22,23)

Paul says something evil is living in his fallen body. Something like a deceiving, opportunistic, capturing, conquering, captivating, is operating in his fallen body.

"For I know that in me, that is in my flesh, nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but to work out the good is not.

For I do not the good which I will; but the evil which I do not will, this I practice." (Rom. 7:18,19)
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Apr '21 13:094 edits
    @divegeester
    Why do you keep claiming that your words in here are “God’s word”?

Have you any idea what a deluded, arrogant man you are?

I usually distinguish between words I am speaking and words from the Bible by changing the font to a bolder darker style. It is primarily those words I refer to as God's word.

Ie. "He who is joined to the Lord is one spirit" (1 Cor. 6:17)

This should be wonderful news to anyone who wants to be "joined to" the Lord Jesus Christ or knows that he has already received Him.

It is unwelcomed news, insignificant news, even irrelevant words to anyone who doesn't want the Lord in their life OR even to exist.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree