1. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    04 Nov '12 16:54
    A lot of time is spent and focused on Christians is this particular forum with a bit of criticism to boot. I think there are a lot of Atheists that frequent these threads and occasionally chime in. I wonder... what is an Atheist and what do you believe? I am not interested in Webster's definition, already know that. Look forward to some constructive dialog.

-K
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Nov '12 17:01
    Originally posted by kd2acz
    I think there are a lot of Atheists that frequent these threads and occasionally chime in.
    😲
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    04 Nov '12 19:16
    A lot of time is spent and focused on Christians is this particular forum with a bit of criticism to boot. I think there are a lot of Atheists that frequent these threads and occasionally chime in. I wonder... what is an Atheist and what do you believe? I am not interested in Webster's definition, already know that. Look forward to some constructive dialog.

-K
    An atheist is someone who does not believe in any gods. Sorry, but there's not much else to say about it.

Atheism is not a belief, nor does it contain any beliefs. Someone who is an atheist may believe any number of things, none of which have anything to do with his status as an atheist.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    04 Nov '12 19:33

-K
    Atheism is a lack of belief in a god or gods.
    We really should have no need of the word
    as there is no word for lack of belief in Santa
    Claus or the Tooth Fairy.

Contrary to what some of the loony theists say
    there is no atheist agenda and we have no
    beliefs in common that make us atheists.

It just so happens that atheists tend to be
    more intelligent, better read and more liberal
    so we end up agreeing on many issues such
    as social reform, abortion, gay rights etc.
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    04 Nov '12 19:372 edits
    Originally posted by rwingett
    An atheist is someone who does not believe in any gods. Sorry, but there's not much else to say about it.

Atheism is not a belief, nor does it contain any beliefs. Someone who is an atheist may believe any number of things, none of which have anything to do with his status as an atheist.
    Seconded. Lacking belief in deity. Anything more is atheism plus that additional thing.

Edit: I should have said, "Thirded." Wolfy does, however, add a little extra.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Nov '12 19:39
    I think there are a lot of Atheists that frequent these threads and occasionally chime in.
    About half the posters are atheist. However the most prolific poster currently is Christian.

I wonder... what is an Atheist and what do you believe? I am not interested in Webster's definition, already know that. Look forward to some constructive dialog.

Websters is a good place to start, and you can't really expect any constructive dialog if you throw definitions out the window.
    Websters on "Atheism":
    a : a disbelief in the existence of deity
    b : the doctrine that there is no deity

I describe myself as an atheist based on a. ie I hold no belief that a deity exists. If you want to know about any of my actual beliefs you may have to be more specific. I generally don't see myself as having beliefs but rather an understanding of the world based on the evidence available to me - but of course that depends on what you mean by 'belief'.
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    04 Nov '12 19:40
    I think I've spotted a trend here.
  8. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    04 Nov '12 20:38
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Atheism is a [b]lack of belief in a god or gods.

.[/b]
    With spirituality being synonymous with God or a god, I find it interesting that as one poster stated, half of the posters in this forum are atheists, why is tht? Does one become atheist because of an upbringing, because of a distaste of how a religion or faith acts and one chooses to distant themselves from it, or as another poster stated... because of intellectuality and liberalism.
    I am curious as to why or how one choses to become an atheist.

-K
  9. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    04 Nov '12 20:47
    With spirituality being synonymous with God or a god, I find it interesting that as one poster stated, half of the posters in this forum are atheists, why is tht? Does one become atheist because of an upbringing, because of a distaste of how a religion or faith acts and one chooses to distant themselves from it, or as another poster stated... because of int ...[text shortened]... ctuality and liberalism.

-K
    The spirituality forum is a forum to discuss matters pertaining to spirituality. There is no stipulation, however, that the discussion must approve of spirituality.
  10. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    04 Nov '12 20:49
    With spirituality being synonymous with God or a god, I find it interesting that as one poster stated, half of the posters in this forum are atheists, why is tht? Does one become atheist because of an upbringing, because of a distaste of how a religion or faith acts and one chooses to distant themselves from it, or as another poster stated... because of int ...[text shortened]... ctuality and liberalism.

-K
    I didn't choose to become an atheist. I just realized one day that I was one. I could no longer believe in stories about god that seemed nonsensical to me.
  11. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    04 Nov '12 20:49
    Originally posted by rwingett
    The spirituality forum is a forum to discuss matters pertaining to spirituality. There is no stipulation, however, that the discussion must approve of spirituality.
    True.
  12. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    04 Nov '12 20:54

-K
    All I can report is that when I introspect, I find no belief in deity. For all I know, this might change. I did believe in a deity I called God, until I was about 14. I don't spend any time trying to understand why that belief went away. Anything I say would be a narrative, possibly a rationalization. For all I know, this might change too.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Nov '12 21:22

-K
    rwingett has succintly answered your question.

Another angle on this topic might be to ask why many atheists are anti-religion or specifically anti-christian; some to the point of being insulting to those who hold to theism or Christianity.

Yet another angle might be to ask why some atheists here regard anti-muslim comments as being "racist" but seem to ignore their own hypocrisy when attacking Christianity. Both of course being religions not races.
  14. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    04 Nov '12 21:32
    Originally posted by divegeester

Another angle on this topic might be to ask why many atheists are anti-religion or specifically anti-christian; some to the point of being insulting to those who hold to theism or Christianity.

Yet another angle might be to ask why some atheists here regard anti-muslim comments as being "racist" but ...[text shortened]... ore their own hypocrisy when attacking Christianity. Both of course being religions not races.
    But of course none of that will happen in this thread...😉
  15. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    04 Nov '12 22:01
    Originally posted by divegeester

Yet another angle might be to ask why some atheists here regard anti-muslim comments as being "racist" but ...[text shortened]... ore their own hypocrisy when attacking Christianity. Both of course being religions not races.
    As for myself, I am not necessarily anti-Christian. I am anti-conservative, and it seems that Christianity and conservatism are becoming more and more synonymous these days. But I have nothing against liberal Christians, such as Martin Luther King, Jr., for example. The fact that someone believes in god in and of itself is of no concern to me. It only becomes a concern when they try to use their religious beliefs as a vehicle for conservative politics.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree