What is a cult?

What is a cult?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

l

London

Moves
06 Jun 05

Originally posted by Coletti
I tend to see cults as isolated groups, who claim to have secret knowledge, and use mild to sever brain-washing techniques to control members. There is unusually one leader that has a great deal of power over the other members.

I don't think of cults in terms of Christian doctrine. I do not categorize Mormons or Jehovah's witnesses as cults. I consid ...[text shortened]... ifying different groups if left undefined. But it can lead to some interesting conversations.
Do you see a difference between cults and sects?

l

London

Moves
06 Jun 05

Originally posted by Spacemonkey7
I'm not saying that, i'm saying your religion is no better than any other. It's presumptuous to tell anyone their salvation will come from Christ (or Buddha, or anything) when there's a world of religions, and there's no reason to believe yours is any more correct.
But that is the question to be examined. If you've not examined the actual religions themselves, then you're committing the Candidates' Fallacy in rejecting Christianity outright.

pre·sump·tu·ous ( P ) Pronunciation Key (pr-zmpch-s)
adj.
Going beyond what is right or proper; excessively forward.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=presumptuous

Why is claiming that a religion is better than others presumptuous?

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
06 Jun 05

Originally posted by lucifershammer
Do you see a difference between cults and sects?
I'm not certain, but I think of sects as small breakaway groups, that agree with most of what the original group taught, except for some key difference. Often the sects teachings are considered heretical by the parent group (but not always), but I don't think that is a rule. I don't think the parent group is necessarily a cult. Sometimes the parent. I think sects maybe more loosely defined then cult or denomination.

I don't consider Mormons as cults, and I know there is a sect of Mormons that still practice polygamy.

I don't think sect has the same pejorative connotation. I think there may be legitimate sects of the Roman Catholic Church.

l

London

Moves
06 Jun 05

Originally posted by Coletti
I think there may be legitimate sects of the Roman Catholic Church.
There are legitimate rites and Churches within the RCC, but not sects in the way you've described it. All rites and Churches within the RCC share exactly the same beliefs; the differences are liturgical and emphases in spirituality.