We are Body, Soul and Spirit

We are Body, Soul and Spirit

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
24 Mar 12

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
24 Mar 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QvI2G8xdjs
And your point is.....?

Moves
24 Mar 12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QvI2G8xdjs
sorry, only managed a couple of minutes. he started talking rubbish about animals not learning anything and humans needing to learn everything and i couldnt take anymore.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
24 Mar 12
1 edit

Originally posted by stellspalfie
sorry, only managed a couple of minutes. he started talking rubbish about animals not learning anything and humans needing to learn everything and i couldnt take anymore.
Sounds promising , as usual.
To RJ:
You see what you get for not even introducing your link?? Other peoples comments describing the link to me.

I dont see this as being beneficial to your apparent need of a resurrection.

j

Moves
29 Mar 12
2 edits

The spirit, soul and body of man are created by God to interact with three different realms.

1.) The body of man interacts with the physical universe.

2.) The soul of man interacts with the psychological world of other minds.

3.) The spirit of man substantiates the spiritual world.

So God created man to be able to "touch" these three realms of existence - the spiritual realm, the realm of other minds, and the physical world.

Man is a "three dimensional" being designed to interact with three realms of reality. For this God created us with "spirit and soul and body" (1 Thess 5:23)

Some English translations (like the one quoted in the link) fail to be true to the original greek in that the conjunction "AND" is placed between "spirit ... soul ... body".

Therefore this is the rendering you sometimes get - "And may your spirit, soul and body ..."

However, the conjunction "and" in the original appears twice so that the more accurate translation is:

"and may your spirit AND soul AND body be preserved complete ..."

Without the conjunction "and" placed between "spirit," "soul" some teachers have room to assume that Paul used spirit ... soul were to mean the same thing. But in First Thess. 5:23 we have to understand Paul spoke of three distinct matters - "spirit and soul and body".

An identical construction is used in Matthew 28:19 , a verse revealing the three-one nature of God - the Triune God -

"... into the name of the Father AND of the Son AND of the Holy Spirit"

When you get an English Bible which renders First Thess. 5:23 as "spirit, soul and body" check over in their rendering of Matthew 28:19 to see if they translated that passage "Father, Son and Holy Spirit". And if not I would ask why not.

There are some places in the Bible where spirit and soul are not clearly distinguishable, especially in the Old Testament. But First Thessalonians 5:23 with a number of other passages is very clear that the human spirit and the human soul are two distinctly different parts of man.

When I was a brand new Christian I was not sure about God's salvation. I thought like others that we would be cloud like vapors forever in some form of ethereal light. After reading more of the Bible I began to notice that God's salvation is very practical. It covers man's environment, man's physical body, man's psychological soul, and man's spiritual human spirit. God's full salvation is an extensive, practical all encompassing salvation.

So Paul wrote again "And the God of peace Himself sanctify you wholly, and may your spirit and soul and body be preserved complete, without blame, at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ."

The sanctification process sanctifies "wholly" - human spirit and human soul and human body. And other verses show God's full salvation also transforms man's invironment into a creation free from "the bondage of corruption".

Moves
29 Mar 12

Originally posted by jaywill
The spirit, soul and body of man are created by God to interact with three different realms.

So God created man to be able to "touch" these three realms ...[text shortened]... with three realms of reality. For this God created us with [b]"spirit and soul and b"
.[/b]
blimey, it has to be said you do know your bible!

can i just ask (no hidden agendas) what is the purpose of number 2. in what way does the soul interact with the mind and what is the point?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
29 Mar 12

So God created man to be able to "touch" these three realms ...[text shortened]... ation free from [b]"the bondage of corruption"
.[/b]
A question.....can the soul die?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
29 Mar 12
2 edits

Originally posted by stellspalfie
blimey, it has to be said you do know your bible!

can i just ask (no hidden agendas) what is the purpose of number 2. in what way does the soul interact with the mind and what is the point?
He means the soul (mind) interacts with other souls (minds) of other creatures.
For example your interaction with your dog by you throwing a stick and your
dog running after it and returning it to you. The soul (mind) uses the brain of
the body to control and interact with the body. Don't confuse his use of mind
as meaning the brain as atheist do.

P.S. Also when Christians are speaking of spiritual matters and use the word
"heart" don't confuse that with meaning the physical heart that the body uses
to circulate the blood.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
29 Mar 12

Originally posted by galveston75
A question.....can the soul die?
Of course, you knew the answer to that already.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
29 Mar 12

Of course, you knew the answer to that already.
Can the spirit die?

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
29 Mar 12

So God created man to be able to "touch" these three realms ...[text shortened]... ation free from [b]"the bondage of corruption"
.[/b]
Edit: "The body of man interacts with the physical universe."

Methinks BodyMind in unison interacts with the physical universe: you see a track speeding up and coming towards you, you evaluate the conditions and you act accordingly.

Edit: "The soul of man interacts with the psychological world of other minds."

Perception and awareness, and thus our interaction with the physical world that surrounds us and with our inner world, is an occurrence that is happening on the basis of the brain and the nervous system. Our inner world is evaluated by the mind. What exactly is the “psychological world of other minds” other than the inner world of the individuals with whom we interact? And what epistemic instruments did you use which eased you to conclude that soul is an epistemic object and, furthermore, real?

Edit: "The spirit of man substantiates the spiritual world."

The world of the ideas occurs out of the interaction of our BodyMind with both the physical world and our inner world. When we see, hear, think, taste, touch, smell something we can describe the occurrence biochemically or electrochemically, and also we can describe it subjectively. During perception and emotionally feeling something, we have an experience from moment to moment. And this experience has contents. A content of the mind is the world of the ideas too. It’s needless to be obsessed with the contents of our experience, however the experiential side of the experience is essential. So what exactly is spirit?
😵

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
29 Mar 12

Originally posted by black beetle
Edit: "The body of man interacts with the physical universe."

Methinks BodyMind in unison interacts with the physical universe: you see a track speeding up and coming towards you, you evaluate the conditions and you act accordingly.

Edit: "The soul of man interacts with the psychological world of other minds."

Perception and awareness, and ...[text shortened]... wever the experiential side of the experience is essential. So what exactly is spirit?
😵
I don't think you expect jaywill to be able to tell you exactly what spirit is.
I think this is just one of those questions like the Pharisee asked Jesus.
But you know jaywill is not Jesus.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
29 Mar 12

Originally posted by galveston75
Can the spirit die?
No. How could you not know that?

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
29 Mar 12

I don't think you expect jaywill to be able to tell you exactly what spirit is.
I think this is just one of those questions like the Pharisee asked Jesus.
But you know jaywill is not Jesus.
My questions are frank and crystal clear, but you blame me for having the attitude of a Pharisee. It seems to me you should blame yourself for such an attitude, for you appear as the one who has a certain knowledge and, when I am asking you to explain how did you came to achieve it, you do not give me a decent answer and you behave as if I don't even have the right to ask questions of this nature so that I can evaluate your belief. This tastes even more bitter than just making unjustified statements and assertions about things you supposedly "know", when in fact you demonstrate ignorance. Never mind, though😵

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
29 Mar 12

No. How could you not know that?
So you believe that the soul and spirit are not the same then?