Warning to Christians from Christ & Apostles

Warning to Christians from Christ & Apostles

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
11 Aug 13

Originally posted by Rajk999
Clearly you disagree with all 5 of the references in the opening post.

Does it bother you that you have a doctrine that is contrary to what Christ and the Apostles preached?
I don't disagree with your references. You just do not understand them. You are taking verses out of context and making them mean something that contradicts the rest of the bible.
I can ask you the same thing. You are clearly seeing what God says in the text I refer to, and it is contrary to your beliefs.
I think Sonship has a point. You want someone to explain these verses to you. I know these verses that seem to imply losing salvation, but they are not.
I will deal with one of them...Hebrews 6:4-6..
The story of the Prodigal son should always be kept in mind when considering the meaning of these verses. If that passage truly means that one cannot leave, and then return, to a relationship with the Lord, then the story of the Prodigal son has no place in the Bible, because leaving and return to a relationship with our heavenly Father is exactly what that parable is about.

So let’s go back to Hebrews 6:4-6. Why does this passage say that it is "impossible" to be brought back to God? The truth is, it doesn’t. The statement is that it is impossible to be brought back to repentance. While it is true that one must repent to become a new Christian, one need not be a new Christian to repent. The key phrase in the NIV is "brought back", but King James and NAS say it is impossible to renew them again.

The question is, who's doing the renewing? It may be impossible for you or me to bring them back, but that doesn't mean that God cannot. This idea of what is "impossible" shows up in the Gospels, when Jesus is talking.
Take for example the following verses, which are parallel: Matthew 19:26, Mark 10:27 and Luke 18:27. The Luke verse tells us: "Jesus replied, 'What is impossible with men is possible with God.' " So don't let the word 'impossible' fool you into thinking that this passage in Hebrews means that there is no way a saved person can leave God and come back.
It happens all the time, actually. (I’ve done it myself). It is God, working through holy spirit, who brings His lost sheep back.
So if this passage isn’t about the loss of salvation, what is it about?
A key to the answer to that question is in the second half of verse 6, which says 'since they again crucify Jesus'. This is where the context is useful.

Take a look at the end of Chapter 5 through the first two verses of Chapter 6. A modern paraphrase might be, "OK, enough talk about the simple issues of salvation; because we could go on and on and talk about resurrection, eternal judgment, the laying on of hands, etc. But there are deeper issues to discuss in order for you to see measurable growth in your Christian walk." It is important to keep in mind who he was writing to. The recipients of this letter were Hebrews (hence the title of the book), a group of folks who had a hard time getting rid of the concept of salvation by works, because it was something they grew up with.
The writer is imploring the Hebrews: Jesus paid for your sins with His death, now accept it and move on. Bottom line: this passage is about performance-based Christianity, a line of thought we all need to be careful not to fall into, which you obviously have.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
11 Aug 13

Originally posted by checkbaiter
It does not matter if the person withdraws or not, the fact is that when one becomes a child of God, it cannot be undone.
Can you "unbecome" a child of your parents? Of course not!
Not even by disobedience.
KJ is correct when Jesus said he holds us in his grip and NO ONE can snatch them out, not even yourself.
What about Judas Iscariot? Do you think that he is an exception ? There are many Judases in the world. The Apostles spoke at length about these false prophets and false teachers and evil ones who are the children of the devil.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
11 Aug 13

What about Judas Iscariot? Do you think that he is an exception ? There are many Judases in the world. The Apostles spoke at length about these false prophets and false teachers and evil ones who are the children of the devil.
Judas was not born again, it was not available yet. Not until the day of Pentecost. What does this have to do with what we are discussing?

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
11 Aug 13

Originally posted by checkbaiter
Judas was not born again, it was not available yet. Not until the day of Pentecost. What does this have to do with what we are discussing?
'Born again' was not available until the day of Pentecost ? Are you for real Checkbaiter? I think Im waisting my time with a few Sunday School type Christians. Check your Bible pal.

Judas was better than born again. He was a disciple of Christ and given the power of the Holy Spirit.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
11 Aug 13

Just provide a few verses. I and most people can read and understand for themselves. So far nothing you have said can hold water or make sense.
That is not encouraging. If you cannot understand the simple word on First Corinthians 3:14,15 and that doesn't make sense to you, then the outlook is very bleak. You cannot understand losing the "reward" but being saved yet as through fire ?

If you cannot understand that then you simply do not have the maturity as a Bible reader to really examine New Testament salvation. You are just too taken up with your toys, your pet doctrines.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
11 Aug 13

'Born again' was not available until the day of Pentecost ? Are you for real Checkbaiter? I think Im waisting my time with a few Sunday School type Christians. Check your Bible pal.

Judas was better than born again. He was a disciple of Christ and given the power of the Holy Spirit.
Actually, the gospels are really part of the Old Testament. The New Testament did not start until the promise of the Father would come in Acts chapter 2...

Acts 1:3-5
After his suffering, he showed himself to these men and gave many convincing proofs that he was alive. He appeared to them over a period of forty days and spoke about the kingdom of God. 4 On one occasion, while he was eating with them, he gave them this command: "Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about. 5 For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit."
NIV

Acts 2:1-4
When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place. 2 Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3 They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. 4 All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them.
NIV

G

Moves
13 Aug 13

Thanks for this interesting debate. I’ve enjoyed it tremendously. I’m not going to pretend to have the final answer to the question whether one can lose their salvation. As a new Christian, it is my belief, through the teaching of our church that one cannot. I was thinking the prodigal son until it was brought up earlier. Why would Jesus tell this story if not for the redemptive nature of our patient Father? Isn't that what really you’ve been debating? Listen, it’s no secret Christians fall away every day. It’s part of living in such a fallen and sinful world. I would venture to say it happens to more Christians than not; if even for the briefest of moments. However, should these same Christians be confronted with the doctrine of rajk999 and the convincing and “in your face” manner it is presented, they could be left to believe there’s no further hope. No chance of salvation. No chance of a loving relationship with our Father. No chance of any future other than eternal torment. I fear there will be those who take this position as truth and no longer hope to seek Christ through the Holy Spirit. They will simply give up and turn away for good. Again, I’m new and probably have no business jumping into this conversation. I think we just need to be careful proclaiming such negative absolutes without full understanding of the verses used as concrete evidence to support a position. It has the likelihood of doing more harm than the good you believe you’re trying to do.