Warning: Long, Messy Post.

Warning: Long, Messy Post.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

l

London

Moves
31 Jan 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Moral outrage based on fear of a demonised Other, in league with Satan, feasting on powdered baby flesh, and all the other lies spread to fuel mob hysteria.

Freedom, to me, consists of detachment from desire, or freedom from compulsion, if you will. A murderer needs a victim, needs to kill...A chronic do-gooder needs to do good...These people are not free.
1. Moral outrage all the same. As with the Nuremberg trials, Luther's Theses, the film 'Philadelphia' etc.

2. Are you free if you desire detachment from desire? If you feel compelled to be free of compulsion?

l

London

Moves
31 Jan 06

How do I set about this process, LH?
You tell me. You're the one who "wants" to clear himself of illusion.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
01 Feb 06

Originally posted by lucifershammer
2. Are you free if you desire detachment from desire? If you feel compelled to be free of compulsion?
Obviously not.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
01 Feb 06

Originally posted by lucifershammer
You tell me. You're the one who "wants" to clear himself of illusion.
Take a deep breath...

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
01 Feb 06

Originally posted by Halitose
Freedom = freedom from desire? Isn't desire the prerequisite of action? Thus freedom = freedom from action (freedom to do nothing)?
Detachment from desire. If right action in your circumstances consists of doing nothing, yes. You will know.

a

Forgotten

Moves
01 Feb 06

Nothingness and being.
BEEN not THERE...DID THAT not

L

Moves
01 Feb 06

Wow this thread really expanded since last I checked (that's good!). There is a lot I would like to post by way of response, especially to Hammer and Stocken (I'm really glad you guys showed up). But I'm getting absolutely pummelled in the lab. I may not have the time or energy over the next couple of days to reply, but I'll definitely be back. Thanks to everyone for all the stuff to mull over.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
01 Feb 06

Freedom, to me, consists of detachment from desire, or freedom from compulsion, if you will. A murderer needs a victim, needs to kill...A chronic do-gooder needs to do good...These people are not free.
A detacher-from-desire needs to detach himself from desire.

But wouldn't the attempt to detach yourself from desire be an even stricter prison? To me, freedom is yielding to desire.

Desire is an expression of self, it cannot be a prison unless it becomes an addiction.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
01 Feb 06

Originally posted by Palynka
A detacher-from-desire needs to detach himself from desire.

But wouldn't the attempt to detach yourself from desire be an even stricter prison? To me, freedom is yielding to desire.

Desire is an expression of self, it cannot be a prison unless it becomes an addiction.
This all sounds very neat, but detachment isn't a need. I don't sit around saying "I must detach, I must detach" like someone straining at stool. Your hypothetical question indicates that you haven't tried it for yourself. However my method is not the only one! Yielding to desire is recommended by spiritual leaders as diverse as Rumi and Osho. Once satiated, you will move on...

As Tom Waits said, murder is the only way by which some enter life.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
01 Feb 06

This all sounds very neat, but detachment isn't a need.
What is your method?

I haven't tried it myself because I'm unconvinced by it. I enjoy my vices and desires too much. If it's a prison, I like the decoration on the walls.

Is freedom of movement the absence of obstacles? Am I completely free to move in the void or am I forever still?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
01 Feb 06

What is your method?

I haven't tried it myself because I'm unconvinced by it. I enjoy my vices and desires too much. If it's a prison, I like the decoration on the walls.

Is freedom of movement the absence of obstacles? Am I completely free to move in the void or am I forever still?
Hard to explain. It's just something I've been doing for a long time...noticing what's going on in my head, so thoughts don't get the better of me. Trying to see clearly. I suppose "meditation" may conjure up an image of someone sitting on his ass for hours doing nothing, but you can meditate no matter what you're doing.

There's a book on Zen & archery which says that the archer is trying to hit himself. A golfer might have a similar experience.

You might be interested in tantric sex. Apart from enhancing your sex life, it helps with detachment.

I don't understand why you are asking about freedom of movement...To survive in the void you need a space suit.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
01 Feb 06

Hard to explain. It's just something I've been doing for a long time...noticing what's going on in my head, so thoughts don't get the better of me. Trying to see clearly. I suppose "meditation" may conjure up an image of someone sitting on his ass for hours doing nothing, but you can meditate no matter what you're doing.

There's a book on Zen & arc ...[text shortened]... ou are asking about freedom of movement...To survive in the void you need a space suit.
But why detach? What's the point? It's that which I have never understood.

You claim freedom comes from detachment from desire, I interpret then that you see desire as an obstacle to freedom.

I see desire as essential to freedom. Freedom is being able to fulfill what you desire. If someone desires nothing, then he has no freedom. This was the point with what I say about the void. If there is nothing, there is no movement. If there is no desire, there is no freedom.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
01 Feb 06

But why detach? What's the point? It's that which I have never understood.[...]If someone desires nothing, then he has no freedom
True, it is a pointless exercise. You always have to keep starting over and never have anything to show.

Here's a cheap example for you. I'd really like to visit Barcelona again, but it's a bit expensive. Should I sit here pining, saving every penny for my fantasy holiday, or should I take a step back and see Jerusalem in front of my nose? Detachment is my ticket to Jerusalem.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
01 Feb 06

True, it is a pointless exercise. You always have to keep starting over and never have anything to show.

Here's a cheap example for you. I'd really like to visit Barcelona again, but it's a bit expensive. Should I sit here pining, saving every penny for my fantasy holiday, or should I take a step back and see Jerusalem in front of my nose? Detachment is my ticket to Jerusalem.
Budget contraints and preferences! You're starting to think like a neo-classical economist! 😉

Quick!! Detach!!!

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
01 Feb 06

Budget contraints and preferences! You're starting to think like a neo-classical economist! 😉

Quick!! Detach!!!
LOL. I'm in free-fall...