VOTE- IS GOD REALLY?

VOTE- IS GOD REALLY?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

v

Newcastle upon tyne

Moves
11 Mar 05

Is god really post here a yes and no and say why you said yes or no
YES-0 NO-1 I voted no. why all i have to say look at the world.

d

Out there somewhere

Moves
11 Mar 05

Originally posted by vhouckham
Do i believe in christ? No.

Do i think there's a reason we're all here. Yes.

Do i think theres a higher power somewhere in this universe? Yes

Do i think i'll find out for certain beforei die? No.

Reason. just take a look at the current world religions, they are all religions invented by humans for humans, ie. flawed or at best a good guess.

t
King of the Ashes

Trying to rise ....

Moves
11 Mar 05

I vote yes. Just look at what is missing in the world.

... --- ...

d

Moves
11 Mar 05

I vote maybe.

S

Moves
11 Mar 05

Originally posted by darvlay
I vote maybe.
Maybe is not an option IMO Darv, allow me to explain. To say maybe is to:

1) Remain undecided after looking at presented evidence.
or
2) To have not yet formed an opinion on the subject, due to a lack of interest thus far.

With either of these options, logic dictates that since the burden of proof lies on gods existence as a positive statement of knowledge, requiring evidence, and with the consideration of Occam's Razor, to say no is the only stance available to someone who has yet to make a decision. As and when a decision is made, then this may alter, but until such time, 'maybe' should remain a 'no'. 🙂

d

Moves
11 Mar 05

Originally posted by Starrman
With either of these options, logic dictates that since the burden of proof lies on gods existence as a positive statement of knowledge, requiring evidence, and with the consideration of Occam's Razor, to say no is the only stance available to someone who has yet to make a decision.
I tend to disagree. Although my answer is and forever will be 'maybe', the only reason it is so is because I find it ridiculously unwise and short-sighted to say that absolutely no higher power exists. (I am assuming that by God, he means a higher power and not necessarily the Christian God). If my answer is maybe then it must mean that I have the ability to believe in a God if he/she/it presented itself in a way convincing to me. And seeing as I liked to keep my ass covered, I'll go with 'yes'!

Remember, wisdom stems from the fact that we know nothing.

And I've never a big proponent of that 'burden of proof' stuff. The real burden of proof lies within yourself to find out what you really believe after all the dressings have been removed.

S

Moves
11 Mar 05

I tend to disagree. Although my answer is and forever will be 'maybe', the only reason it is so is because I find it ridiculously unwise and short-sighted to say that absolutely no higher power exists. (I am assuming that by God, he means a higher power and not necessarily the Christian God). If my answer is maybe then it must mean that I have the abili ...[text shortened]... s within yourself to find out what you really believe after all the dressings have been removed.
I'm somewhat playing devil's advocate here, but I shall continue if you fancy discussing it.

Answering no doesn't mean that you can't change your stance based on the production of future evidence.

Remember, wisdom stems from the fact that we know nothing.

Exactly my point. If we know nothing how can we say maybe? Saying 'no' on the basis of current evidence doesn't eliminate the potential for proof to be found later, it accepts we know nothing and as such cannot say 'maybe' or 'yes' when asked the question. Allow me to demonstrate.

Would you say 'maybe' to the question "Does a flabborb exist?". First you would ask what a Flabborb purported to be and then upon a lack of demonstrable evidence for its existence you would say "No, if you cannot show me any proof of its existence, why should I believe in it?". I doubt if you would say '"Maybe"

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
11 Mar 05

Yes God is real He has changed my life
Yes God is real look at the sin in this cursed world, it should not be
this way, there is a better way and we are living it, and we know it
should be different.
Kelly

d

Moves
11 Mar 05

Exactly my point. If we know nothing how can we say maybe? Saying 'no' on the basis of current evidence doesn't eliminate the potential for proof to be found later, it accepts we know nothing and as such cannot say 'maybe' or 'yes' when asked the question.
Good point. And I would normally agree except this is God we're talking about here and, like I said, I gotta keep my ass covered! 🙂

But you are 100% correct...

t
King of the Ashes

Trying to rise ....

Moves
11 Mar 05

I'm somewhat playing devil's advocate here, but I shall continue if you fancy discussing it.

Answering no doesn't mean that you can't change your stance based on the production of future evidence.

[b]Remember, wisdom stems from the fact that we know nothing.

Exactly my point. If we know nothing how can we say maybe? Saying 'no' on the ...[text shortened]... any proof of its existence, why should I believe in it?". I doubt if you would say '"Maybe"[/b]
I believe he said that if forced to choose and abandon his "maybe" he chooses "yes." This being the case, further discussion of the "maybe" in question is rather like beating a dead opossum.

... --- ...

The Apologist

Moves
11 Mar 05

Originally posted by dk3nny
Do i believe in christ? No.

Do i think there's a reason we're all here. Yes.

Do i think theres a higher power somewhere in this universe? Yes

Do i think i'll find out for certain beforei die? No.

Reason. just take a look at the current world religions, they are all religions invented by humans for humans, ie. flawed or at best a good guess.

Where is your proof that they were invented by humans? That's a fantastical claim.

d

Moves
11 Mar 05

Originally posted by Darfius
Where is your proof that they were invented by humans? That's a fantastical claim.
Who else invented them? Dragons?

The Apologist

Moves
11 Mar 05

Who else invented them? Dragons?
One claims God invented everything and revealed some of it to them. I would be interested in seeing if maybe He did.

JF
Troubador

Land of Fist

Moves
11 Mar 05
1 edit

Do i believe in christ? No. I believe a man named Jesus Christ perhaps existed but I don't believe he was the son of God.

Do i think there's a reason we're all here? Uncertain.

Do i think theres a higher power somewhere in this universe? Uncertain

Do i think i'll find out for certain before die? Uncertain.

Reason - Like the person I copied these questions from, I think there is a fundamental flaw in all religions in the sense that they attempt to define what cannot be defined. They also try to place a moral value on something that they cannot comprehend.

d

Moves
11 Mar 05

Originally posted by Darfius
One claims God invented everything and revealed some of it to them. I would be interested in seeing if maybe He did.
Is 'One' a human?