Vatican III Agenda

Vatican III Agenda

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
10 May 06
1 edit

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
Rush Limbaugh just settled a criminal matter monetarily.

More typically, a civil settlement agreement entails that the victim will not seek to press criminal charges. The prosecutor can still attempt to pursue a criminal case, but without the victim's active cooperation, it's often futile.
A provision of an agreement for the victim of a crime not to press charges in return for monetary compensation is unenforceable in New York and I believe most states.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
10 May 06

Originally posted by no1marauder
A provision of an agreement for the victim of a crime not to press charges in return for monetary compensation is unenforceable in New York and I believe most states.
But practically it is agreed upon and the victim takes the money and runs.

l

London

Moves
10 May 06

How many do you want? I could probably provide hundreds.
I'm not that ambitious - a handful will do.

The link you provided says nothing about entailing victims not to seek criminal charges, or even that they will be able to.

l

London

Moves
10 May 06

Do you have any examples of this?

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
10 May 06

Originally posted by lucifershammer
I'm not that ambitious - a handful will do.

The link you provided says nothing about entailing victims not to seek criminal charges, or even that they will be able to.
The particulars of settlements are typically not made publicly available. I'll see what I can find.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
10 May 06
1 edit

No doubt that is true in some, perhaps many, cases. I doubt the written settlements state it in bald terms though.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
10 May 06

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/index.cfm?PgNm=TCE&Params=M1ARTM0012306

"When civil claims for apologies, counselling and compensation are met, it's often in exchange for silence. Church lawyers regularly demand sweeping "gag" clauses that impose financial penalties if victims disclose any information about their experiences or settlement. Mayer herself has personal experience with abuse by clergy, but is prevented from publicly discussing it by legal agreement."

l

London

Moves
10 May 06

No doubt that is true in some, perhaps many, cases. I doubt the written settlements state it in bald terms though.
If what you say about the unenforceability of these contracts is true, then I doubt any of them will state it.

Do you agree with Sribbles's assertion that the American Church (he actually said "my community" - but I'll take the broad interpretation) spends millions on such unenforceable contracts?

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
10 May 06
2 edits

http://www.snapnetwork.org/clohessys_tough_questions/clohessy_questions_Page1.htm

"5. St. Louis County Prosecutor Bob McCullough said he is uncomfortable with "settlements" that quiet victims of abuse by priests. Has SNAP lobbied for laws to end what some see as "hush money" to cover up felonious behavior? Some states require that such settlements be reported to legal authorities - what is the situation in Missouri and Illinois?

If any prosecutor or public official feels discomfort with quiet settlements, we hope they will convey their concerns to Archbishop Rigali and other church officials who routinely insist that abuse survivors sign gag orders (which are actually not legally enforceable) in order to receive funds for desperately needed therapy. It might be more constructive, however, for McCullough and his colleagues to publicly urge crime victims to disclose our experiences to prosecutors. Unlike City Circuit Attorney Jennifer Joyce and district attorneys across the country, McCullough has shown no particular interest in investigating sexual abuse by priests, which we find troubling."

How can the Church in good conscience pressure a victim into a gag order about the abuse?

l

London

Moves
10 May 06

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/index.cfm?PgNm=TCE&Params=M1ARTM0012306

"When civil claims for apologies, counselling and compensation are met, it's often in exchange for silence. Church lawyers regularly demand sweeping "gag" clauses that impose financial penalties if victims disclose any information about their experiences or settlement. ...[text shortened]... nce with abuse by clergy, but is prevented from publicly discussing it by legal agreement."
I can't open the link you provided. I'll try again later.

The excerpt you're provided suggests we are talking about civil settlements after the criminal statute of limitations have passed. This ties in with what I remember reading about the crisis; i.e. the vast majority of abuses occurred in the 60s and 70s.

But it's not an example of what we were talking about.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
10 May 06

If what you say about the unenforceability of these contracts is true, then I doubt any of them will state it.

Do you agree with Sribbles's assertion that the American Church (he actually said "my community" - but I'll take the broad interpretation) spends millions on such unenforceable contracts?
No, he's probably right. For one, I am not familiar with the laws in all 50 states; some might very well enforce it. Secondly, "gag" provisions could be artfully worded so that the victim might believe that any revelation to anybody, including a prosecutor, might be a violation of such contract.

It is not particulary unusual for an individual or agency to put provisions in a contract that they know or suspect are unenforceable if they think that the other party might not know this or if the law or provision isn't entirely clear. Without actually seeing such a "gag" provision, I can't make a reasoned judgment.

o
Paralysed analyst

On a ship of fools

Moves
10 May 06

No, he's probably right. For one, I am not familiar with the laws in all 50 states; some might very well enforce it. Secondly, "gag" provisions could be artfully worded so that the victim might believe that any revelation to anybody, including a prosecutor, might be a violation of such contract.

It is not particulary unusual for an individual o ...[text shortened]... clear. Without actually seeing such a "gag" provision, I can't make a reasoned judgment.
In a previous job, I encountered quite a few contracts with unenforceable terms along the line of 'go away and don't complain again'. Quite a different context, but a similar principle.

I'm aware of a couple of instances here in Australia where church leaders (Catholic and Anglican, I think) have subsequently apologised for having done the 'quiet settlement' approach. Basically they had gone along with what their lawyers told them to do, and not had the strength of conviction to say 'that might be how things are done in the business world, but the church should be different'. Until later on, they've realised the mistake.

Fear of litigation is a powerful, powerful force. People do all sorts of things because lawyers (usually meaning well) have warned them about the risk of getting sued.

l

London

Moves
10 May 06
1 edit

http://www.snapnetwork.org/clohessys_tough_questions/clohessy_questions_Page1.htm

"[b]5. St. Louis County Prosecutor Bob McCullough said he is uncomfortable with "settlements" that quiet victims of abuse by priests. Has SNAP lobbied for laws to end what some see as "hush money" to cover up felonious behavior? Some states require that such settleme ...[text shortened]... w can the Church in good conscience pressure a victim into a gag order about the abuse?
[/b]
The bishops in question can't.

Thanks for the link. Do you think such gag orders are still routine?

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
10 May 06

The bishops in question can't.

Thanks for the link. Do you think such gag orders are still routine?
I have no reason to think they aren't. They're the at the essence of settlements in highly visible cases where somebody has a reputation at stake, be it the Church or any other big corporation or organization.

l

London

Moves
10 May 06

I have no reason to think they aren't. They're the at the essence of settlements in highly visible cases where somebody has a reputation at stake, be it the Church or any other big corporation or organization.
We're not talking about confidentiality clauses in general - just the ones that prevent criminal prosecution. It is this specific class that goes to your assertion.

I would think that the US Church would've realised that such "gag orders" are counterproductive in the post-scandal environment and, therefore, they would not be routine now. orfeo's post suggests that's the case in other countries that have faced similar scandals.