UnChristian Christians

UnChristian Christians

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
26 Nov 08

Ah, but Christian is a term that someone can just throw upon themself. If someone declares "I am a Christian" then further inquiry might reply "By what authority?" At that point one gets into the murkiness of churches and denominations and how they have come about. At some point all the Christian churches have more or less splintered off the Roman Catholic, Greek Orthodox, and Russian Orthodox churches. That is an over-simplification, but it remains true that those churches can trace themselves directly to the earliest beginnings of the Christian church.

All other expressions of Christianity have taken authority upon themselves for their expression of Chistianity. Not only do all denominations of Christianity decide by what authority they and others are Christian, but individuals (especially in the US) are rather fond of doing the same.

The question of authority is an important one. If an individual declares that so-and-so isn't a Christian then it bears no weight beyond an opinion. A church, on the other hand, has the authority and the means to declare someone not a Christian by way of shunning and/or excommunication.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
26 Nov 08

Originally posted by Badwater
Ah, but Christian [b]is a term that someone can just throw upon themself. If someone declares "I am a Christian" then further inquiry might reply "By what authority?" At that point one gets into the murkiness of churches and denominations and how they have come about. At some point all the Christian churches have more or less splintered off the Roman Ca ...[text shortened]... and the means to declare someone not a Christian by way of shunning and/or excommunication.[/b]
You think what church matters if someone is really a Christian or not?
Who really has the power to say this one is, and that one is not a
Christian?
Kelly

Moves
26 Nov 08

I believe that I've already stated what I think in all of my posts in this thread. Whether it's read and understood ain't on me.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
26 Nov 08
1 edit

..... A church, on the other hand, has the authority and the means to declare someone not a Christian by way of shunning and/or excommunication.
I have a feeling that many modern churches will excommunicate Jesus Christ for preaching about the importance of good works and loving your neighbour.

Moves
26 Nov 08

Originally posted by Rajk999
I have a feeling that many modern churches will excommunicate Jesus Christ for preaching about the importance of good works and loving your neighbour.
Yep. I have a feeling that if Jesus appeared today he would be somewhat distressed about the direction his religious movement has taken since his death, also.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
26 Nov 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Rajk999
I almost said something else, but decided to first try and see what it is you mean by what you said above.

Why do you get the feeling that there are those that would want to do that?

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
26 Nov 08

Yep. I have a feeling that if Jesus appeared today he would be somewhat distressed about the direction his religious movement has taken since his death, also.
Boy did you hit the nail on the head with that one.

But I would like to know why you think that's true.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
27 Nov 08

I believe that I've already stated what I think in all of my posts in this thread. Whether it's read and understood ain't on me.
A church has the right to kick someone out of its sphere of influence,
but does that mean someone isn't a Christian? I can be kicked out
of any denomination, but so what, do denominations determine who
is and isn't a Christian, or does that power/authority rest else where?
Kelly

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
27 Nov 08

Personally, I think He would see the same thing today as He saw when
He was walking among us as a man. Except where people's
relationship with God is right, since the work He started has really yet
to be discussed in this thread.
Kelly

Cape Town

Moves
27 Nov 08

Originally posted by KellyJay
A church has the right to kick someone out of its sphere of influence,
but does that mean someone isn't a Christian?
I remember my father (an Anglican) stating that Jehovah's Witnesses were not Christian. I asked him why and he said it was because they consider Anglicans to be non-Christian.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
27 Nov 08

Originally posted by twhitehead
I remember my father (an Anglican) stating that Jehovah's Witnesses were not Christian. I asked him why and he said it was because they consider Anglicans to be non-Christian.
So is there a bottom line to it, or is it just a human mess without
any solid answers only opinions?
Kelly

Moves
27 Nov 08

Originally posted by josephw
Boy did you hit the nail on the head with that one.

But I would like to know why you think that's true.
That's going to require a lengthy post. I'll do that after the holiday. 😉

m

Moves
27 Nov 08

Originally posted by knightmeister
Rational questions regarding a non-rational issue, all of them four doomed to be frightfully mangled by "truly born by God" interpretators ---------beetle---------------

Which loosely translates as --- "reasonable but complex questions to which there are no easy answers which some christians here will attempt to answer in good faith but will be pre ...[text shortened]... atheists with a pre-concieved position ready with a huge axe to grind" - in short a set up.
As one of the "narrow minded atheists" if I was asked what defines a Christian, I would quote from the scripture which says, "If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus Christ, and believe in your heart that God has raised him from the dead, you will be saved" that would constitute in my opinion, the only qualification required to claim the prize of salvation by grace, through faith, not of works, lest any man should boast. But that's just my ignorant, narrow minded, atheistic, contortion of the facts.

Cape Town

Moves
27 Nov 08

Originally posted by KellyJay
So is there a bottom line to it, or is it just a human mess without
any solid answers only opinions?
Kelly
As I have already stated, as an atheist I generally use the word to mean those calling themselves by that name. I see no good reason to give preference to one group over another. However I also realize that some groups would like to claim the name as their own and exclude others but they too must realize that one cannot truly own a word. What is more reasonable is when a group states that when they use the word what they mean is xyz. Then it is clear to everyone and there is no problem with them stating that certain other parties are unChristian. That was the meaning I was intending in this thread.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
27 Nov 08
1 edit

Originally posted by twhitehead
As I have already stated, as an atheist I generally use the word to mean those calling themselves by that name. I see no good reason to give preference to one group over another. However I also realize that some groups would like to claim the name as their own and exclude others but they too must realize that one cannot truly own a word. What is more reas ...[text shortened]... that certain other parties are unChristian. That was the meaning I was intending in this thread.
Okay, than how can anyone act unChristian since there really isn't any
true meaning of the word only several different points of view about it?
Kelly