twisting words

twisting words

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E

Moves
09 Aug 06

"You shall not murder."
Since respect for life includes an obligation to respect one's own life and the lives of people under one's protection, it is legitimate to use force -- even fatal force -- against the threats of an aggressor who cannot be stopped any other way. While Catholic teaching recognizes the right of states to execute criminals when necessary to preserve the safety of citizens, the Church argues that other methods of protecting society (incarceration, rehabilitation) are increasingly available in the modern world; thus, there are now few if any cases that really necessitate capital punishment. Catholics (along with many fundamentalist Protestants) also consider abortion sinful and a violation of this commandment. Note, although many translations use the word "kill", many historians equate this to "murder" - that is, the intentional and premeditated killing of individuals. War is not considered a breaking of this commandment by many Christians.

-Wikipedia (not always %100 accurate)

but i do know this is true: christians twist words sometimes

what gives a christian the right to say when it is ok and when it is not ok to murder or when not to murder? it says specifically thou shall not murder.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
09 Aug 06

Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
"You shall not murder."
Since respect for life includes an obligation to respect one's own life and the lives of people under one's protection, it is legitimate to use force -- even fatal force -- against the threats of an aggressor who cannot be stopped any other way. While Catholic teaching recognizes the right of states to execute criminals when n ...[text shortened]... t is not ok to murder or when not to murder? it says specifically thou shall not murder.
How do "YOU" define murder?
Kelly

E

Moves
09 Aug 06
1 edit

Originally posted by KellyJay
How do "YOU" define murder?
Kelly
when i was young i was taught "Thou shall not kill" http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_10c4.htm

did they change this up too?
http://www.biblepicturegallery.com/free/Pics/10_Comm.gif
says "Thou shall not murder"

http://www.themiracleofstjoseph.org/commands.php
"Thou shall not kill"

wikipedia said "Thou shall not murder" im sure theres thousands more and all different but these are examples.

the definition of murder is: the unlawful killing of a person, so did christians change it to "MURDER" instead of "KILL" to make it more convenient for themselves? if it really is "MURDER" and not "KILL" then it is ok to kill in self defense.

the point is somebody mustve changed it, or maybe it is just translated differently.

E

Moves
09 Aug 06

actually, i may have answered my own question there lol

p

Moves
09 Aug 06

Lost in translation, obviously languages aren't the same, different cultures and different values. Do what we mean when we say murder exactly the same as what they meant 2000 years ago? Possibly but i think probably not. They didn't have wikapedia back then.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
09 Aug 06

actually, i may have answered my own question there lol
Sometimes I like it when I do that myself, and other times, hate it. 🙂
Kelly

E

Moves
09 Aug 06

Sometimes I like it when I do that myself, and other times, hate it. 🙂
Kelly
i do it a lot because i ask a question without thinking first

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
09 Aug 06

i do it a lot because i ask a question without thinking first
At least you are thinking, that is very important after all.
Kelly

E

Moves
10 Aug 06

At least you are thinking, that is very important after all.
Kelly
that still leaves an issue, which is it? thou shall not kill or thou shall not murder?

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
10 Aug 06

I know is the old testament it talks about manslaghter by accident and then killing with intent. Good subject

Manny